eating workout calories?

Options
i'm new to this site, and noticed lots of people talking about eating their "workout calories". what in the heck are they talking about? i work out a ton, and am on a 1200 cal diet. after i punch in my exercise, it says i have earned about 1100 extra calories, even after i punch in my food intake for the whole day. what does all this mean?

Replies

• caribeals
    caribeals Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    i'm new to this site, and noticed lots of people talking about eating their "workout calories". what in the heck are they talking about? i work out a ton, and am on a 1200 cal diet. after i punch in my exercise, it says i have earned about 1100 extra calories, even after i punch in my food intake for the whole day. what does all this mean?
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    if you burn 1100 cals at the gym you should be eating your 1200 PLUS the 1100 you burned. 1200 already puts you at a deficit, and if you exercise and don't eat those calories back you're creating an even larger deficit- in your case a DANGEROUSLY large one. Think of it this way: you give your body 1200 calories to function on. You use 1100 of those working out. That leave 100 measely calories for your body to perform ALL other functions (ex- breathing, digestion, heartbeat, blinking, moving, talking, thinking, EVERYTHING). Yep, you eat back exercise calories. If you can't eat 2300 calories in a day, do less exercise.
  • turtle31
    turtle31 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Well said for a person who lost 60 pounds, You go GURL! I like your explaination
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    if you burn 1100 cals at the gym you should be eating your 1200 PLUS the 1100 you burned. 1200 already puts you at a deficit, and if you exercise and don't eat those calories back you're creating an even larger deficit- in your case a DANGEROUSLY large one. Think of it this way: you give your body 1200 calories to function on. You use 1100 of those working out. That leave 100 measely calories for your body to perform ALL other functions (ex- breathing, digestion, heartbeat, blinking, moving, talking, thinking, EVERYTHING). Yep, you eat back exercise calories. If you can't eat 2300 calories in a day, do less exercise.

this is ONE theory..there are others,,,,,read the archive posts, some eat them all and some do not
    get several opinions
  • shalinik78
    Options
    Yeah even I liked your explaination - VERY CLEAR !

Also I would like to congratulate you on your high spirits and determination of loosing weight.
    I have been here for 1 month now and have lost only about 3 Lbs...my motivation is getting low ... I know it would take time to loose all the fat that has accumulated in years ... but still I need some tips ! Can you help me with that PLEASE :flowerforyou:

149532.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Easy Calorie Counting
  • kerrilucko
    Options

this is ONE theory..there are others,,,,,read the archive posts, some eat them all and some do not
    get several opinions

that's true, some people don't eat them ALL. But generally, those are not people that are already set at 1200 cals per day. TamTastic for instance doesn't eat all hers, but she does eat some. She has also stated on MANY occasions that she's never eaten as low as 1200. It makes a difference. a woman should never eat below 1200 cals a day whether she's exercising or not. Therefore, in my theory, your net calories should never fall below 1200 either. Let's say you were set at 1500 instead of 1200. So you eat 1500 and you excercise say 300 away. You're still at 1200, so I don't feel as strongly about the need to eat those back. Does that make sense? Also keep in mind the bigger you are (I'm talking about those in the obese range, as I used to be) can stand to eat fewer calories than someone say... in the healthy range. Because they have a lot of energy reserves (fat) to draw from. Otherwise yes, eat them back. There's no need to burn 1100 everyday but if you do you should eat those calories back.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options

I think that's the best explaination I've heard in a LONG time for this. Well done lady!
  • kerrilucko
    Options
    Yeah even I liked your explaination - VERY CLEAR !

Also I would like to congratulate you on your high spirits and determination of loosing weight.
    I have been here for 1 month now and have lost only about 3 Lbs...my motivation is getting low ... I know it would take time to loose all the fat that has accumulated in years ... but still I need some tips ! Can you help me with that PLEASE :flowerforyou:

149532.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Easy Calorie Counting

hi, if this is for me I must tell you 3 lbs in a m onth is NOT bad at all! I started out with more to lose than you (about 70lbs- the more you need to lose the faster it goes) and in my first month I believe I lost 4 lbs. So you see, you're ot doing badly at all, in fact you're doing very well! The trick is really to stick with it. Let's say you lose 3 lbs a month for the next 6 months. wow that's 18lbs gone! right? That's huge. And another 6 months, even more amazing! that'd be 36 lbs gone! Slow and steady, remember that :flowerforyou:
  • kerrilucko
    Options

I think that's the best explaination I've heard in a LONG time for this. Well done lady!

:blushing: thanks Banks... er.... Boss :smooched:
  • sassiebritches
    sassiebritches Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I don't eat all of mine if any of mine. I eat between 1200 and 1400 calories a day, depending on what my body feels like it needs. I think that there is a misconception on what your body uses in a day....yes your body does use a certain amount, but it does not take all of those cals used in a day from just what you eat that day......and starvation mode takes more than a day......

Get alot of information, read read read and decide what is best for you.

56259.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Calorie Counter
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I don't eat all of mine if any of mine. I eat between 1200 and 1400 calories a day, depending on what my body feels like it needs. I think that there is a misconception on what your body uses in a day....yes your body does use a certain amount, but it does not take all of those cals used in a day from just what you eat that day......and starvation mode takes more than a day......

56259.png
    Ditto and I havent had any plateaus....:drinker:
  • astarte09
    astarte09 Posts: 531 Member
    Options

56259.png
    Ditto and I havent had any plateaus....:drinker:
    I actually started eating mine and my weight loss stopped... some days I eat them if I am hungry and some days I dont.
  • caribeals
    caribeals Posts: 105 Member
    Options

a lot of the replies (and thanks for them!) say to eat back all or some of the calories burned. my problem is, how do i eat an extra 1100 calories healthy? i don't intentionally burn 1200+ cals a day. i work out with home dvds about an hour a day, take a 30 minute walk with the stroller and 2 kids every day, about 20 mins of situps/pushups/etc, and about 30 mins with free weights. (at 5 lbs ea.) when i put in my housework, grocery shopping etc, is how i get to the 1200 cal mark.
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options

a lot of the replies (and thanks for them!) say to eat back all or some of the calories burned. my problem is, how do i eat an extra 1100 calories healthy? i don't intentionally burn 1200+ cals a day. i work out with home dvds about an hour a day, take a 30 minute walk with the stroller and 2 kids every day, about 20 mins of situps/pushups/etc, and about 30 mins with free weights. (at 5 lbs ea.) when i put in my housework, grocery shopping etc, is how i get to the 1200 cal mark.
    nuts,beans,fruit,veggies......if u choose to eat back any its important that u dont see the calories as a free for all to eat junk just cause u "earned" it
  • sassiebritches
    sassiebritches Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    It is likely going to be a learning curve for you. Specific to your body. I would not follow any specific opinion. Unless you are following a doctors recommendation. Yes some here have eaten their exercise cals and yes some have not, some chose to eat partial cals. I personally did not in the beginning and was seeing alot saying I should...when I did I lost nothing. When I went back to eating just my alotment in a range of 1200-1400 I started losing again. I think you need to find what will work for you honestly. Try it out. What is 2-4 weeks of getting to know what works in the scheme of things?

Good luck.
  • aprilvet
    aprilvet Posts: 724 Member
    Options

You may try just tracking true EXERCISE calories instead of including the daily activities like stroller, housework, grocery shoppong, etc. Most peolpe here track only the things that break a sweat! Do you use a hrm to accurately track those calories? I love mine!:heart:
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    So, instead of trying to explain it all. You know who jillian michaels is right?
    the personal trainer from the Biggest loser.
    Very well regarded in her field and very knowledgable about weight loss and nutrition.

about 23 minutes into her radio show this past sunday (you can listen to the whole thing, but it's 2 hours long). She goes over the exercise calorie debate with a woman. It's a long conversation but I think she hit all the points. I would advise you to listen as it's very insightful.

here is the link:

http://tinyurl.com/am4jfs
  • Dave198lbs
    Options

I respectfully disagree with this analysis. We cannot tell our body where to use the calories we eat.

If a person needs 1200 for normal body functions and they eat 1200 but also burn an extra 1100 with exercise, the body does not automatically take the eaten 1200 cals and apply it to the exercise and leave the body with only 100 for the normal body functions. The body will save itself first, always. Normal body requirements will be met even if the body has to eat muscle to do it.

So, a person who is 10 pounds overweight or 100 pounds overweight has additional fat stores to be used when a caloric deficit is presented. Prolonged deficits of too great a number will have a negative effect if the body is forced into starvation mode, but that is not the issue presented here.

The theory of eating ALL the exercise calories is for a life long program of a healthy lifestyle. It is not the only answer to the losing weight question.
  • SHBoss1673
    Options

I respectfully disagree with this analysis. We cannot tell our body where to use the calories we eat.

If a person needs 1200 for normal body functions and they eat 1200 but also burn an extra 1100 with exercise, the body does not automatically take the eaten 1200 cals and apply it to the exercise and leave the body with only 100 for the normal body functions. The body will save itself first, always. Normal body requirements will be met even if the body has to eat muscle to do it.

So, a person who is 10 pounds overweight or 100 pounds overweight has additional fat stores to be used when a caloric deficit is presented. Prolonged deficits of too great a number will have a negative effect if the body is forced into starvation mode, but that is not the issue presented here.

The theory of eating ALL the exercise calories is for a life long program of a healthy lifestyle. It is not the only answer to the losing weight question.

Actually, that's incorrect Dave, the body, will in fact, prioritize fuel to the areas that need it most. Muscles that are in dire need of fuel to refill their muscle glycogen stores will grab calories far faster then other body parts deemed less vital. This is in part due to the flight or fight mechanism built into our genes. This leaves the body scrambling for calories where it can get them, fat, and if no fat is readily available (which doesn't mean you don't have it, there are other reasons why it can be unavailable) also muscle. That's neither here nor there though.
    The point she was getting at was this:
    If you are at a deficit, and you increase the deficit, you now have a larger deficit. If that larger deficit triggers the body's famine response system, then two things happen, catabolic hormones are released in higher amounts (too high to be offset by the anabolic hormones which produce muscle) and muscle will be broken down and converted into sugar (essentially) and then into fat. Also, a larger percentage of the sugars eaten (and by that I mean, carbs, starches, fats, and sugars) are converted to adipose fat. Because less of the fuel being consumed is available, the body starts slowing down non-essential organs, basically an overall slowdown of the metabolism.
    Now, not everyone's body has the same threshold, which is why for some you can have a bigger deficit then others, but the process is the same for all. What we (the "eat your exercise calories" crowd) are trying to promote on this site (and I think people are missing this point) isn't that we are trying to eliminate the deficit, but keep it at a smaller, maintainable rate. Because a smaller rate (while slower in loosing weight) is easier to maintain over long periods, and gives the body time to adjust to the changes happening to it.
    One caveat to this is people who are in the obese category. Because of the amount of available stores, the body doesn't see recognize and interpret reduced caloric intake the same way, it doesn't trigger the famine response nearly as fast, and it also takes a far lower caloric intake to trigger it (which is why doctors can put morbidly obese patients on a highly controlled, 2 to 3 week Very low calorie diet when there is an immediate risk of death)
    The problem is, some people calculate wrong, others have a lower then normal metabolic rate, and even others have enough fat store for the famine response to be muted or delayed all together.

I realize this is far more then most people want to read. But I just wanted to show that we just aren't making this stuff up. It's not opinion. The deficit may be questionable, but the theory behind it is solid and practiced by all four of the major Personal Training certification organizations in america (ACE, NASM, ISSA, and NCSA)
  • Dave198lbs
    Options
    Yet we stay alive.

..for instance- MFP gives options on the goals..you can pick one pound and have a 500 cal deficit or two pounds and have a 1000 cal deficit...so the person choosing one pound and working out for an extra 1000 cals has a 1500 cal deficit...if they only eat 500 back, then they in fact are operating at a 1000 cal deficit which is an option for weight loss on this site...so even this site does not actually require you to eat all the cals unless you are staying on your goal target.

I do not want a war on words here but depending on your goals to lose weight, it is not required to eat all the calories..I do eat mine and it is working but at the end of the dayand if I added 1000 exercise cals and I have 200 left over, I am not going to force myself to eat them because my deficit will only be 700 since I am on a 500 goal deficit.....

this whole topic confuses many new people and to say eating them all is the only way is not fair nor correct unless they are at the max deficit goal level to start with. We all simplify this topic but there are so many factors that go into the equation that giving this advice as if it is the only true answer is not fair not should we do it. I personally am in this for the long haul and am not looking to shed 10 in 10 or 30 in 30. Eating them all is good for the long haul. But for a quicker weight loss with proper nutrition, the deficit can be greater than 500 a day.