Strength Training

Options
I would really like to start making my workout routine mostly strength training, which up until now as been 90% cardio. I know I should be doing a whole lot more strength, but I feel intimidated by the other people in the weights section. I feel like I look clumsy and unsure of what I am doing. Like I'm doing everything wrong. Any tips on how I can make myself feel more comfortable? It's the only thing that keeps me away from the weights.

Also how are the weights supposed to feel, almost comfortable or barely being able to get through sets..
I appreciate any advice I can get!

Replies

• sbedwards1077
    sbedwards1077 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I use bodybuilding.com. It has video examples for weight training. There are also weight training programs to help you get started.
  • oneIT
    oneIT Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Just use the machines, you can't really get them wrong. Do 3 sets of 10, if you can't make it through then lower the weight a little.
    If you can do all the reps in each set then add more weight until you can't and then back it off a little.
  • mrau719
    mrau719 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    like above I use bodybuilding.com. They have awesome tutorials. Also, most gyms should have trainers that will watch you to make sure you have correct form. There are also some books out there that outline lifting and lifting techniques.
  • ryno0618
    ryno0618 Posts: 361
    Options
    There is lots of good information on bodybuilding.com. Also lots of youtube videos you could watch to learn exercises and routines. A great book to read is "New Rules of Lifting for Women". I purchased the version for men and it was a total eye-opener and has helped me so much!
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    If you're new to strength training, I suggest you hire a PT. Although it may not be the cheapest option but having someone to guide you is a very big help until you can do it on your own. Most gyms have a package that includes a free session with a PT & its really a great help.
  • LisaMariaCallow
    Options
    Ask for a free session with a trainer!! Most gyms will offer a free session (or 2!) to sell memberships!! You should do a weight heavy enough to only be able to do 3 sets of 8-10 reps comfortably...that will build muscle and burn more calories!! Also, don't worry about what others think...you're in there working out!!

Good luck!!
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    Just use the machines, you can't really get them wrong. Do 3 sets of 10, if you can't make it through then lower the weight a little.
    If you can do all the reps in each set then add more weight until you can't and then back it off a little.

Machines actually can do you more harm than good. Most of them promotes unnatural body movement that will hinder your muscles thus creating injury.
  • Jacquelyn913
    Jacquelyn913 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone. I will definitely be checking out that site.
  • smilebhappy
    smilebhappy Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    bump to read later :)
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options

Machines actually can do you more harm than good. Most of them promotes unnatural body movement that will hinder your muscles thus creating injury.

That's debatable, and probably not true for a beginner. Remember that many free weight exercises take a significant amount of skill to perform correctly. Whereas, anybody can use machines and get used to how it feels to do resistance training in a fairly safe manner.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Regarding how much weight to lift... You may get many different opinions but most experts agree that beginners should aim for 80% of their 1-rep maximum. Basically this means the weight is too heavy to maintain a fast rep speed but it isn't a struggle; you have 2-3 reps left in your tank. Beginners run the risk of musculoskeletal injury so maximal loading should be avoided rigtht off the bat.

Full body workouts are superior for beginners. Routines should consist of mostly compound bodyweight and free weight exercises. "Compound" exercises call on the highest number of muscles/joints to execute.

Most machines in the gym are isolation exercises and limit (and even hinder) full range of motion and can do more harm that good.

Skip the expense (and sometimes horrible advice) of a personal trainer. You can learn everything you need without them. There are many excellent books ("The New Rules of Lifting for Women") and free workout routines & videos on websites (bodybuilding.com).

Good luck and start lifting heavy 3x per week. You'll love the results.
  • oneIT
    oneIT Posts: 388 Member
    Options

And you found this info from??? Pretty sure they are the exact movements you should be doing. You just don't have to use stablizing muscles which is why free weights are better.