Dark chocolate question...

Options
How dark does dark chocolate have to be in order for it to be "good for you"??? I bought some Hershey Reserve chocolate squares today and it says they are 70% cacao...is that enough?? THey're very tasty!! :tongue:

Replies

• Lynn1987
    Lynn1987 Posts: 54
    Options
    How dark does dark chocolate have to be in order for it to be "good for you"??? I bought some Hershey Reserve chocolate squares today and it says they are 70% cacao...is that enough?? THey're very tasty!! :tongue:
  • sunshine92
    sunshine92 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    i've always heard to make sure it was at least 70%...so your good! dark chocolate is my fav sweet! :smile:
  • happenstance82
    Options
    I've read that it's 60% and up that's good for you. I :heart: dark chocolate. Oh, but I tried a bar that was 87%...awful.
  • Huyvee999
    Huyvee999 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: Ok so after reading this I am so excited Dark choc. is really the only chocolate I eat.
    Thanks everyone
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    I bought a bag of Hershey's Special Dark candy the other day. They're the bite size candy bars and they're sugar free. I don't see where it says how much cacao is in them though. Are they good for you? They're only 30 calories per piece.
  • flinchyny
    flinchyny Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I think Herhsey's Special Dark is actually semi-sweet, not dark.
  • Lynn1987
    Lynn1987 Posts: 54
    Options
    Yahooo I'm good to go!! :laugh: Yeah Happenstance, I've tried some stuff with a high percentage of cacao, not knowing it was that dark, and ugh!! disgusting!! I would hardly call it chocolate!! haha
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options

So that's not the right kind of dark chocolate?
  • flinchyny
    flinchyny Posts: 106 Member
    Options

So that's not the right kind of dark chocolate?

Well, since it's sugar-free, it's low calorie -- which is good for watching one's weight -- but I am pretty sure it's not dark enough to get the health benefits of dark chocolate.
  • BigFatBlob
    Options
    Can I ask what are the health benefits of dark chocolate?

I love dark chocolate, but I had always thought it was bad for you - I'm assuming it's still full of fats and sugars??? Unless it's a loCal version??

Sorry if I'm being dim :happy:
  • purrrr
    purrrr Posts: 1,073
    Options
    contrary to the popular belief that chocolate is bad for a diet... dark chocolate is actually good for a diet... it reduces the appetite, while keeping you energized! you can actually replace your morning cup of coffee with a piece of dark chocolate!

it also helps with lowering the blood pressure, as well as prevention against heart diseases and reduces the risk of a heart attack

that's what i have read about it... of course it doesn't mean you have to "energize" yourself with 2 huge bars a day - a small piece now and then is just fine!