weight scale

Options
which is the best?

Replies

• try2basunbeam
    Options
    I love my weight watchers scale. It has the body fat, water %, BMI, and can store 4 people's profiles.
  • rsouthland
    Options
    I have the weight watchers scale that stores 4 peoples data as well, but the problem I have with it is that depending where I stand on the scale, I can get different readings.
  • Horskrzy
    Horskrzy Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Consumer Reports from Feb 2010 in order of overall score (all digital scales).

Taylor 7506 - $35
    Tanita HS-302 - $60
    Escali B18OR - $30
    Tanita HD-357 - $65
    Weight Watchers WW39 - $30
    Healthometer HDM670D-05 - $30
    Weight Watchers WW11D - $30

I personal have had the Weight Watchers WW11D (which stores previous readings) for quite a few years with no complaints.
  • mikituba
    Options
    I have the same problem with my weight watchers scale, except I can stand on it...get off, get back on and the stupid thing will change by 5lbs! I do not recommend it
  • dking
    dking Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Now how does it keep track of the BMI...
  • Horskrzy
    Options
    Now how does it keep track of the BMI...

There's a little accounting troll hiding under the scale......
  • MinnesotaManimal
    MinnesotaManimal Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I
    have the weight watchers scale that stores 4 peoples data as well, but the problem I have with it is that depending where I stand on the scale, I can get different readings.
    I have the same problem with my weight watchers scale, except I can stand on it...get off, get back on and the stupid thing will change by 5lbs! I do not recommend it

I do not have a weight watchers scale, I have a digital Taylor, I discovered that depending on where I stood on it (one inch in each direction) I could alter readings by up to 3 lbs. I finally picked a spot and marked around my feet with permanent marker so I get the same consistency each time I weigh in.
  • try2basunbeam
    Options
    I don't know why yours would change like that. My old scale did that all the time but this one is rock solid. The model I have is WW52. I owned a different WW scale and had the issues of the weight changing every time I stepped on it, too, but not at all with this one.

It measures Bone Mass, Body Fat and Water content by "bioelectrical impedence".
    "This indirect method of determining body fat starts when a safe and very low electrical current is sent through the lower half of the body. The electrical current flows more quickly through water and muscle than it will through bone and fat. The scale measures the speed of the current. Based on this number, the scale estimates body fat using a multi-step mathematical formula."
  • Horskrzy
    Options
    I don't know why yours would change like that. My old scale did that all the time but this one is rock solid. The model I have is WW52. I owned a different WW scale and had the issues of the weight changing every time I stepped on it, too, but not at all with this one.

"This indirect method of determining body fat starts when a safe and very low electrical current is sent through the lower half of the body. The electrical current flows more quickly through water and muscle than it will through bone and fat. The scale measures the speed of the current. Based on this number, the scale estimates body fat using a multi-step mathematical formula."

.... and this car was only driven by a little ol lady to church on Sundays! Boy if that manufactures description didn't sound like an excuse to charge more $$$ for a questionably accurate function! I'll stick to the "tried but true" method of height and weight per WebMD which states the following:

"To calculate your BMI, divide your weight in pounds by your height in inches squared, then multiply the results by a conversion factor of 703. For someone who is 5 feet 5 inches tall (65 inches) and weighs 150 pounds, the calculation would look like this: [150 ÷ (65)2] x 703 = 24.96. An easier way is to use WebMD's BMI calculator."

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/how-accurate-body-mass-index-bmi

One thing you don't see is any credence being given to the "bioelectrical impedance" method.

p.s. I'm not trying to pick on "try2basunbeam", just want to promote a little "Buyer Beware" info.
  • try2basunbeam
    Options

.... and this car was only driven by a little ol lady to church on Sundays! Boy if that manufactures description didn't sound like an excuse to charge more $$$ for a questionably accurate function! I'll stick to the "tried but true" method of height and weight per WebMD which states the following:

"To calculate your BMI, divide your weight in pounds by your height in inches squared, then multiply the results by a conversion factor of 703. For someone who is 5 feet 5 inches tall (65 inches) and weighs 150 pounds, the calculation would look like this: [150 ÷ (65)2] x 703 = 24.96. An easier way is to use WebMD's BMI calculator."

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/how-accurate-body-mass-index-bmi

One thing you don't see is any credence being given to the "bioelectrical impedance" method.

p.s. I'm not trying to pick on "try2basunbeam", just want to promote a little "Buyer Beware" info.

I'll try to not be offended...lol...:indifferent:
    I like that when I lose weight/ gain weight, I can see whether it is water retention or fat. My BMI doesn't tell me that. I lost 30lbs, but only small percentage of that is actually fat loss, a lot of it was water weight...Maybe the numbers don't even matter, but I like to see them change and take note of what I eat that affects those changes.

And compared to the other scales at Target, where I bought it, it was mid-priced. I didn't want to buy the cheapest, nor the most expensive...a lot of times you get what you pay for, but a lot of times you over-pay for what you get...
  • Horskrzy
    Options
    Thanks for understanding Sunbeam! :flowerforyou:
  • jms1985
    jms1985 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I use my Wii fit. It's not fancy or anything, but I like that it tracks everything for me. Sure, I can come here & do the same thing, but that gets to be a pain to track your weight on here every single day.