Oh, my back. Ow ow ow ow oweee, what have I done?

Options
I injured my lower back (a little) about 2 months ago or so. I was lifting a patient and used really bad body mechanics, but I had not much choice - he was having chest pain and was severely short of breath, so I had to do what I had to do. I've been paying for it ever since.

Since then, i've applied heat. Lot of heat. It usually helped. I would avoid lifting as much as possible and then would think I was all better and WHAM, lifted another patient, even using good body mechanics, re-injured myself.

I don't know what the bleep I did over the weekend, but I have been in so much pain, I don't know if I can keep this up. It hurts to stand, it hurts to lay down, it REALLY hurts to sit. I even brought my heating pad to work. I'm popping Advil like they're M&Ms. The pain is a constant ache when I'm not moving, a sharp pain when I move.

I've been avoiding seeing a doctor, because it's going to be such a hassle. The injury initially happened while I was on duty as a volunteer for my local EMS. We do have workmen's comp coverage through the township. I just hate everybody knowing my business. But I don't think I can handle this injury on my own any more. I think I need some medication to help.

Which is the other issue. I'm an alcoholic/addict, in recovery for 13 years. I don't *like* to take narcotics for pain, but I will, oh yes, I will, if I need it. I just need to thoroughly examine whether I need to or not.

Thanks to listening to me whine.

Replies

• itsuki
    itsuki Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    See a doctor. It's a hassle, but they can either tell you what's wrong (ie, if you tore something), or at the very least maybe give you stronger meds (prescription strength tylenol, or something stronger). If you did damage to a muscle you could be making it worse, it's best to know.
  • philOHIO
    philOHIO Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I know where I work, you have to report the injury immediately to file a worker's comp. claim. Otherwise, you have to go through your own insurance, as if it were an accident at home or anywhere else. You should see a doctor and get physical therapy. Too much delay can cause permanent damage!
  • philOHIO
    Options
    I know... because I did the same thing 13 years ago -- and yes, I still have the pain. A big weight loss motivator!
  • philOHIO
    Options
    I know... because I did the same thing 13 years ago -- and yes, I still have the pain. A big weight loss motivator!
  • addisondisease
    addisondisease Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    sounds like you have a weak back. Go see a doctor.
  • scooterboy2003
    Options
    I'm voting for the doctor's appt.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Doctor for sure! In the meantime you could also try alternating the heat with ice...I hurt my back in a car accident and that's what the therapist would have me do to bring the inflamation down faster. I hope you feel better soon!!
  • Ruz456
    Ruz456 Posts: 99
    Options
    A doctor would help out a ton but in the meantime after an injury you want to stay away from heat for about 3 days cause that could make the condition worse, after the injury you want to stick with ice to treat pain and swelling, after 3 days you can switch to heat. Also you can try rolling on it using a PVC pipe or tennis ball where it hurts, it will hurt but this will create a massage like effect which will stimulate the area and bring new blood flow to the area which will aid in healing, hopefully this helps
  • Shyloh1
    Shyloh1 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I injured my lower back (a little) about 2 months ago or so. I was lifting a patient and used really bad body mechanics, but I had not much choice - he was having chest pain and was severely short of breath, so I had to do what I had to do. I've been paying for it ever since.

Since then, i've applied heat. Lot of heat. It usually helped. I would avoid lifting as much as possible and then would think I was all better and WHAM, lifted another patient, even using good body mechanics, re-injured myself.

I don't know what the bleep I did over the weekend, but I have been in so much pain, I don't know if I can keep this up. It hurts to stand, it hurts to lay down, it REALLY hurts to sit. I even brought my heating pad to work. I'm popping Advil like they're M&Ms. The pain is a constant ache when I'm not moving, a sharp pain when I move.

I've been avoiding seeing a doctor, because it's going to be such a hassle. The injury initially happened while I was on duty as a volunteer for my local EMS. We do have workmen's comp coverage through the township. I just hate everybody knowing my business. But I don't think I can handle this injury on my own any more. I think I need some medication to help.

Which is the other issue. I'm an alcoholic/addict, in recovery for 13 years. I don't *like* to take narcotics for pain, but I will, oh yes, I will, if I need it. I just need to thoroughly examine whether I need to or not.

Thanks to listening to me whine.

I agree,go see a doctor and go WCB. I think it would be really good if you took time off work to let your back heal. Also,ask to be referred to a Physiotherapist. Believe me,I've injured my back and going to physio really helped me.

Keep you with the heat and rest,hope you feel better soon!