3, 2, 1.

Options
jennib06
jennib06 Posts: 101 Member
I have added potassium to my daily goals because I know it is something that I do not eat much of at all. My counter says I should have 3,500 per day. I have yet to get even 10% of the way there since I added it and so far today I have had none. Is this because most people do not include it when they upload foods into the data base or am I simply not eating the correct foods?

Is it a big deal that I am not gettin enough potassium? I know it can effect muscle cramps, etc. But how much damage could I really be doing?

Also what foods other than bananas contain high amounts of potassium?

Replies

• jennib06
    jennib06 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I have added potassium to my daily goals because I know it is something that I do not eat much of at all. My counter says I should have 3,500 per day. I have yet to get even 10% of the way there since I added it and so far today I have had none. Is this because most people do not include it when they upload foods into the data base or am I simply not eating the correct foods?

Is it a big deal that I am not gettin enough potassium? I know it can effect muscle cramps, etc. But how much damage could I really be doing?

Also what foods other than bananas contain high amounts of potassium?
  • BrandNewLaura
    BrandNewLaura Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    I think part of the problem is that some nutrition labels don't include potassium, so while you may show that you haven't had any potassium throughout the day, that's probably not true. Potassium helps to battle high blood pressure, so I track mine as well, but I never get even close to how much I am supposed to have. I take a supplement for it as well, but it is possible to get too much potassium, so before you consider taking a supplement, talk to your doctor. As for food high in potassium, there are tons of websites that will help you with that...just google high potassium foods and check out a few of the links...I was going to paste them here but there are so many! More than I realized lol!
  • sunflower8926
    sunflower8926 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Eat bananas. They are a great source of potassium. Put them in smoothies, if you like:smile: