Diet, Low Fat, Fat Free

Options
So, I'm a foodie. I probably wouldn't have a problem with my weight if I wasn't . I love rich creamy and sweet food. And I can't seem to force myself to choke down Diet Coke or any low fat variations of the foods I love, like Sour Cream, Cottage Cheese, Cream Cheese or Yogurt. I still want to enjoy my food. Not to mention the synthetic chemicals used to make these things "healthier" I absolutely stay mindful of the serving size and try to only use half of that. . But most of my MFP friends have diaries packed full of diet drinks and low fat options. It makes me think I'm doing something wrong.

Am I causing my fitness goals a disservice by not using these more health conscious options even if my numbers are staying in the green ?

Replies

• cheri0627
    cheri0627 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with not eating the "low fat" or "diet" versions of things. You're right -- a lot of the time, the low-fat or diet version is a lot less healthy than the regular version.

Continue eating what you're eating. Portion sizes and moderation are important.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    So, I'm a foodie. I probably wouldn't have a problem with my weight if I wasn't . I love rich creamy and sweet food. And I can't seem to force myself to choke down Diet Coke or any low fat variations of the foods I love, like Sour Cream, Cottage Cheese, Cream Cheese or Yogurt. I still want to enjoy my food. Not to mention the synthetic chemicals used to make these things "healthier" I absolutely stay mindful of the serving size and try to only use half of that. . But most of my MFP friends have diaries packed full of diet drinks and low fat options. It makes me think I'm doing something wrong.

Am I causing my fitness goals a disservice by not using these more health conscious options even if my numbers are staying in the green ?

Eat foods you like, get adequate amounts of protein and fats every day, maintain a caloric deficit, profit
  • apesid
    apesid Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I don't really like going for the diet/LF/FF options either. If I want some sour cream.... I want some sour cream! I am just using it less than before :) Some things, like cottage cheese - I will use a lower fat percentage, because I don't mind the taste.
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Continue eating real food in reasonable portions. I shudder when I think about what is in most "diet" food. You can also try to expand your diet to include things that are naturally low-calorie/fat.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Nope. Just fit foods you enjoy into your calorie goal.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    The great thing about MFP is you can eat WHATEVER you want so long as you are conscious of portion sizes, moderation, etc. You don't have to start eating things you don't like. Personally, I do like diet mt dew and I do like fat free yogurt and some of the 'diet' frozen dinners, so I have them when I want them. But I wouldn't eat them if I didn't like them. And there are plenty of people out there that are just not into that kind of thing, prefer to avoid additives and whatnot, you don't HAVE to eat 'diet food' to lose weight. Eat what you enjoy and just watch those calories. The other numbers are a 'guide' but you don't have to freak out over them. Going over on fat, carbs, or protein is not generally going to cause you any problems unless it's causing you to neglect other areas or unless you have a specific medical concern (for example women with PCOS often find they have to go low carb in addition to keeping the calories under control). Those nutrient numbers are not necessarily limits that you have to stay under. They are a target. Shoot for them. Fat is good for your brain. Protein is good for your muscles. And carbs are just..... good. LOL Eat how you like to eat, just watch the calories and try to get in a good variation of nutrients.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    You're doing it right!
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    You're doing it right!

Absolutely! I've lost 20 pounds while still eating full-fat foods and drinking beers, too!
  • Crystalmac82
    Crystalmac82 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Well, It seems so be unanimous !! Thanks every one :)
  • Crystalmac82
    Crystalmac82 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    You're doing it right!

Absolutely! I've lost 20 pounds while still eating full-fat foods and drinking beers, too!

I can DEFINITELY do light beer :) hahahahah!
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    You're doing it right!

Can't stand low fat!!! life is too short not to enjoy what you eat. I use the concept in the book ''French women don't get fat'' I eat food that is satisfying!!!
  • mystiedragonfly
    mystiedragonfly Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    As a fellow foodie, I would MUCH rather have a few bites of the "fat" filled, full flavor of something than a whole plate full of synthetic who knows what full of aspartame and other various poisons.
  • auctoritas
    Options
    If you want to continue enjoying high fat foods, try a low-carb diet. Sure you have to give up grains (and things like fruit if you go super low carb), but there's nothing quite like a big steak with hollindaise and roasted broccoli soaked in olive oil and Parmesan for dinner.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Eat anything you want, just keep a caloric deficit. That's all there is to it.