Aerobics class vs. Elliptical

Options
Moma_Do
Moma_Do Posts: 108 Member
Which is better? anybody know? I have a gym membership, and have not been very active lately and i want to start out doing the best thing for myself, what do you all think? The aerobics class has abs and circuit training as well as low impact exercises. :happy: :flowerforyou:

Replies

• Moma_Do
    Options
    Which is better? anybody know? I have a gym membership, and have not been very active lately and i want to start out doing the best thing for myself, what do you all think? The aerobics class has abs and circuit training as well as low impact exercises. :happy: :flowerforyou:
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    Which is better? anybody know? I have a gym membership, and have not been very active lately and i want to start out doing the best thing for myself, what do you all think? The aerobics class has abs and circuit training as well as low impact exercises. i know somebody out there has the answer you guys are a smart bunch i've noticed. :happy: :flowerforyou:

It's all about you- actually you could do both- You don't have to do just 1 thing for cardio its good to mix up your routine-

I love the elliptical though but I also found a new interest and its the stair climber, I also do the bike, and the treadmill :grumble

If your gym offers classes take them see which ones you like and add them to your routine. Classes are a good way to spice up workouts too
  • Moma_Do
    Options
    your right:happy: thanks for the input. gotta keep it spicy or i will get totally bored.
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    your right:happy: thanks for the input. gotta keep it spicy or i will get totally bored.

Yeah you will get bored and so will your body- Gotta switch things up a bit!

Just like a long relationship or marriage gotta keep things interesting..
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I tend to stay away from the classes. I always feel silly and I mess up the moves constantly! :) I do agree that it is good to mix up your workout though!
  • GIBride01
    GIBride01 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Why not do both?? I take an step aerobics class 1 x week and do the elliptical at the gym 1 x week, the rest is home or outdoor stuff. Both are good...And who cares if you aren't coordinated, take the step class anyways!! You can burn alot of calories trying not to kill yourself during the class like me! PS..love your screen name, its a common thing to hear in my house..me telling my 16 month old " No, Mama Do, you don't need to do that...':laugh:
  • Moma_Do
    Options
    Yeah, i think mixing it up will be best. My son has always called me moma Do, i don't know why, but i love it, it's different. Thanks for the input, it's nice to communicate with other adults, i am a stay at home mom and i don't get out enough. :happy:
  • yellow_pepper
    yellow_pepper Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    I agree that you should try the new class... I recently tried a class and I love it! It's addictive, and it adds that strength training component that improves the tone of your body as the cardio helps to reduce the size.
  • ottawagirl86
    Options
    My advice would be to start with the elliptical since you have not been active lately. Trust me on this one. I was so eager in the beginning that I decided to take a step aerobics class and nearly killed myself and couldn't walk for the next week. This impacted the fact that 1) my calves were on fire for a few days and it was painful to walk especially in the morning when my muscles were relaxed from sleeping and 2) I was not able to go back to the gym that week due to pain.

If the aerobics classes that are being offered have a low impact class, then that would be great. I'm just saying take it slow and then eventually when you feel comfortable, take it up a notch and so forth.

That was my 2 cents relying on my own horrid experience :-)
  • miasuperstar
    Options
    Its good to try the classes even if you feel silly at first-everyone does. The cool thing about the classes after your ready to try them is you can learn new stuff plus the instructors will often push you harder than you may push yourself (read: motivate). I do both and really look forward to the days i have my favorite classes. Have fun!