Vitamin question

LilMizDetermined
LilMizDetermined Posts: 174 Member
edited October 7 in Food and Nutrition
Is there a certain way or order I should be taking my vitamins? Here are what I take:

One A Day Women's active mind and body
biotin
cranberry
calcium
fiber
probiotic

Also, is there such a thing as too much iron? I am anemic and I need that extra boost. It says I get my 100% daily value of iron in my One A Day vitamin, but I was thinking of backing it up with a straight iron vitamin.

Replies

• careyharv
    careyharv Posts: 134 Member
    I don't think there is a certain order. I don't like to take my vitamins all at the same time. I space mine out over my meals and snacks. As for the iron - I would ask your doctor.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Have you checked the labels?
    I know on my Calcium it suggests taking with food a few hours before or after other medications, so I take it alone.
    As for the rest, sorry I don't take them.
  • StrongGwen
    StrongGwen Posts: 378 Member
    You can get too much iron-I did by over-supplementing with iron pills. You don't absorb all that you take, so a little boost might be ok. A blood test will tell if you are over the limit-if you go to give blood they do the test first and it's free! You can't give if your iron is too low of course, & I think they reject if it's too high too.
  • Kasya007
    Kasya007 Posts: 165 Member
    I wouldn't really back it up too much unless you are really feeling bogged down, or you've been exercising consistently each day (ie, race training). Too much iron can actually be detrimental to your health, due to the slow rate at which the body removes it. Check with your physician to see how much iron you should be taking & adjust it accordingly with your diet.

That being said, I also take an iron supplement & shoot for 100-125%, but I also do a few things to help my body receive that non-heme iron that I've added to my diet. I always take it with vitamin c, as the ascorbic acid helps the body to absorb it & I never take it within a couple hours of milk, tea, zinc, nuts/seeds, legumes, starches, etc., basically anything with tannins or phytic acid in it, as they will inhibit the absorption of iron. Other than that, I pretty much pop them all around the same time.
  • suzksell
    suzksell Posts: 48 Member
    Pregnant women are usually told to avoid taking iron and calcium at the same time--they prevent each other from being absorbed well. So, it's probably not a bad idea to keep that in mind even if you aren't pregnant. Other than that, I've never been told to take supplements in any particular order or at certain times of the day--unless your stomach tells you otherwise by making you feel nauseated.
  • stcar
    stcar Posts: 207 Member
    you can have too much iron...you should have it tested before you supplement.
  • asamuels85
    asamuels85 Posts: 170 Member
    I don't know about a certain order either, but I do know that some supplements are better absorbed when taken with something else..like iron...I take with orange or pineapple juice as recommended by my Dr. after my levels were low even when taking iron pills. Also, I read an article awhile back about Vit D aiding in calcium absorption. I bet looking up more symbiotic relationships between vits / mins could be helpful :)
  • stacytowler
    stacytowler Posts: 2 Member
    I also believe that vit C helps with iron absorption so you should take them together :)
  • DizzieLittleLifter
    DizzieLittleLifter Posts: 1,020 Member
    Is there a certain way or order I should be taking my vitamins? Here are what I take:

biotin
    cranberry
    calcium
    fiber
    probiotic

Also, is there such a thing as too much iron? I am anemic and I need that extra boost. It says I get my 100% daily value of iron in my One A Day vitamin, but I was thinking of backing it up with a straight iron vitamin.

Ohh my.... Yes you can have too much of any nutrient. I urge you (and everyone) to only take supplements if you truly need them. Get a blood test. Iron anemia symptoms can mirror many other deficiencies. The side effects of iron overdose/ toxicity can be serious to your health. Can I ask why you are taking Biotin, and what kind of calcium (some supplements are not well absorbed)? Consuming certain things together can inhibit or increase absorption.
  • abcwhite10
    abcwhite10 Posts: 140 Member
    bump
  • LilMizDetermined
    Thanks everyone! I discussed it with my pharmacist and he explained to me that multivitamins are for "normal" people, meaning they don't have any medical deficits but just want to back everything up. Since I have a medical deficit, I need to supplement it more. He did recommend an iron supplement added to my multivitamin.

Side note: he did warn me that more iron can lead to constipation but I take fiber anyway so no worries there :)
  • LilMizDetermined

biotin
    cranberry
    calcium
    fiber
    probiotic

Ohh my.... Yes you can have too much of any nutrient. I urge you (and everyone) to only take supplements if you truly need them. Get a blood test. Iron anemia symptoms can mirror many other deficiencies. The side effects of iron overdose/ toxicity can be serious to your health. Can I ask why you are taking Biotin, and what kind of calcium (some supplements are not well absorbed)? Consuming certain things together can inhibit or increase absorption.

I take biotin for hair, nails, and skin. It gives great results! I just take spring valley calcium supplement pill.
  • DizzieLittleLifter
    DizzieLittleLifter Posts: 1,020 Member

biotin
    cranberry
    calcium
    fiber
    probiotic

I take biotin for hair, nails, and skin. It gives great results! I just take spring valley calcium supplement pill.

I only asked because Biotin deficiencies are rare. :) A UL hasn't been estb. for Biotin. supplements so stick with the minimum. Look on the back of the bottle of your calcium; Calcium citrate is best absorbed. Split your dose to twice a day (if bottle says take two pills take one in the AM and one in the PM). Also, fiber can interfere with calcium, but the effects are usually minor. I can't stress enough though to not self prescribe supplements. It can be very dangerous. :flowerforyou:
This discussion has been closed.