Neightbor Issue!! Input Needed Please!!!

Options
My daughter & I recently moved to a new apartment. We absolutely love it here except for one BIG issue! My daughter keeps complaining to me about the neighbors smoking in the laundry room. It really bothers her a lot because her bedroom is literally right on the other side of the laundry room & the smoke fumes come right under the door to her room & are really strong. I've tried a few times now to go into the laundry room & speak to them about this but by the time I get there they've already gone back inside to their apartment. So, I'm planning on hanging a sign up inside the laundry room. Here's what I'm thinking about writing on it. Please let me know what you think of this sign & any changes you think I should make to it. I REALLY need them to stop this as it's just not fair to my daughter that she can't even enjoy hanging out in her room (plus the second hand smoke isn't good for her) & it bothers me sometimes too since I have asthma and am very sensitive to cigarette smoke:

PLEASE NO SMOKING INSIDE THE BUILDING. THE SMOKE FUMES COME IN THROUGH THE LAUNDRY ROOM DOOR & THEY REALLY BOTHER MY DAUGHTER (WHOSE BEDROOM IS RIGHT DIRECTLY ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE LAUNDRY ROOM DOOR). ALSO, THE SMOKE FUMES ARE AT TIMES STRONG ENOUGH THAT WE CAN SMELL THEM EVEN IN THE KITCHEN AND LIVING ROOM SO IT NEGATIVELY EFFECTS ME AS WELL SINCE I HAVE ASTHMA.

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION IN THIS MATTER.

____ IN APT. 2

Replies

• Sibby123
    Options
    Instead of putting a note up, why don't you put a note through their door and explain the situation, see if they reply/stop?
  • rossi02
    rossi02 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I think this is something you should go to the apartment manager for, instead of taking it into your own hands. Let them hang the signage and if that doesn't resolve the issue, then speak with the offenders directly after that.
  • pamelagr123
    pamelagr123 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I would say your daughter has asthma and it's causing her attacks, might be more motivation for folks to stop smoking in there. Not sure I'd put your apt # (weirdos knowing where a young girl lives)
  • HOSED49
    HOSED49 Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    your also advertising your daughters location which unfortunatley could be very bad in this day and age...
  • HOSED49
    HOSED49 Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    double post
  • Metamorphasis555
    Options
    Well, instead of putting a note through their door, I think it's probably best to hang a note up. Reason being that I'm pretty sure I know which of my neighbors is smoking in the laundry room but not 100% positive because really it could be any of the neighbors that live in our apartment building. (There are five units in my building). So, I think it may be a combination of different people that live in the building. The laundry room is meant to be a community laundry room that we can all use & I think several of my neighbors smoke and just do it inside the laundry room to avoid having to go out in the cold to smoke.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Yes, please talk to property management directly and ask if they have a solution for the smoke entering your apartment. You can't enforce those signs, they can.
  • Miss_Chievous_wechange
    Miss_Chievous_wechange Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    Isn't that what the management office is for?
  • RoxRae
    RoxRae Posts: 60
    Options
    I think this is something you should go to the apartment manager for, instead of taking it into your own hands. Let them hang the signage and if that doesn't resolve the issue, then speak with the offenders directly after that.

I completely agree with this statement! The apartment manager needs to address this situation first. Also is there some way you can put something, a towel or something, at the door so the smoke doesn't come through so bad?
    Good luck!! I really hope this gets resovled quickly for you.
  • emiliewright
    emiliewright Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Yes, please talk to property management directly and ask if they have a solution for the smoke entering your apartment. You can't enforce those signs, they can.

Yep!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Instead of putting a note up, why don't you put a note through their door and explain the situation, see if they reply/stop?

This and if they still do it, go to the manager. I suspect this is not allowed.
  • Metamorphasis555
    Options
    Yes, I was just thinking it's probably a bad idea to announce to them that my daughter's bedroom door is right on the other side of the laundry room as who knows what kind of creeps might live here.

So, here is the revised version of my sign:

IF YOU WOULD PLEASE STOP SMOKING INSIDE THE LAUNDRY ROOM, I’D REALLY APPRECIATE IT AS THE SMOKE FUMES COME IN THROUGH THE LAUNDRY ROOM DOOR & THEY REALLY BOTHER BOTH MYSELF & MY DAUGHTER.

___ IN APT. 2

Do you guys think this one is better?
  • steffiejoe
    steffiejoe Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I would address the matter with management.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I agree that speaking to management should be your first action. Especially if you don't know for sure which neighbor is doing it.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    I know all about neighbors from hell, so I really, really feel your pain. I am in a similar situation with cigarette smoke/noise. If management is cooperative, go through them. Don't do anything that will draw attention to you and your daughter, because people can be *kitten*, and they may decide to make things that much worse for you.
  • mallorybriann
    mallorybriann Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Being a property manager myself, take it up with them.
    You don't need to advertise that you are the one with an issue, it will only cause issues between you and your neighbor.
  • KimmieBrie
    KimmieBrie Posts: 825 Member
    Options

This^^^. I'm surprised smoking is allowed in the common areas.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Yes, I was just thinking it's probably a bad idea to announce to them that my daughter's bedroom door is right on the other side of the laundry room as who knows what kind of creeps might live here.

IF YOU WOULD PLEASE STOP SMOKING INSIDE THE LAUNDRY ROOM, I’D REALLY APPRECIATE IT AS THE SMOKE FUMES COME IN THROUGH THE LAUNDRY ROOM DOOR & THEY REALLY BOTHER BOTH MYSELF & MY DAUGHTER.

___ IN APT. 2

Everyone who answered said you should NOT hang a sign.
  • onefitdiva
    onefitdiva Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    your also advertising your daughters location which unfortunatley could be very bad in this day and age...

Yes ^^^^^. Go to the building manager, or as soon as your daughter smells it get your tail over there and spreak to them.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options

___ IN APT. 2

Everyone who answered said you should NOT hang a sign.

+100

9 times out of 10, passive aggressive gestures make the situation worse.