Is there really a correct way to do a squat?

Options

Replies

• taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    The book Starting Strength has about 58 pages on The Squat. Great reading!

http://www.amazon.com/Starting-Strength-3rd-Mark-Rippetoe/dp/0982522738
  • meridian8004
    Options
    Thank you all for your wonderful responses and advice. I didn't think anyone would respond...LOL I would have never guessed that squatting was so complicated. I know it may sound aweful that I said I wanted to punch him, but I was getting quite angry out of the frustration of not being able to do a simple squat. I know that's not his fault and that he was just trying to teach me the correct way to squat, but those were the emotions I was going through as we were doing this. I don't think I ever got it right and we spent about 30 minutes working on this. I'll keep trying, but am not too optimistic that I will get this right. I may just avoid squats all together and figure out another way to work those muscles.

PS - I have had osteoarthritis in my knee joints for a couple years now, so I'm considering avoiding this exercise. Don't want to make things worse than they already are.
  • abbbigayl
    abbbigayl Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    if you want a good idea on a proper squat its just like you about to sit on a public toilet but not letting your butt touch the seat.....

Made me laugh! ...I'm sure this will pop in my head now everytime I do squats.
  • cbirdso
    cbirdso Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    Doing a proper squat is very natural. When you sit down in a chair, you are doing a very proper squat. (in most cases). Doing it with weight on your back is what makes it interesting.
  • thecrossfitter
    thecrossfitter Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your wonderful responses and advice. I didn't think anyone would respond...LOL I would have never guessed that squatting was so complicated. I know it may sound aweful that I said I wanted to punch him, but I was getting quite angry out of the frustration of not being able to do a simple squat. I know that's not his fault and that he was just trying to teach me the correct way to squat, but those were the emotions I was going through as we were doing this. I don't think I ever got it right and we spent about 30 minutes working on this. I'll keep trying, but am not too optimistic that I will get this right. I may just avoid squats all together and figure out another way to work those muscles.

PS - I have had osteoarthritis in my knee joints for a couple years now, so I'm considering avoiding this exercise. Don't want to make things worse than they already are.

Perhaps it would have been polite if he or she had emphasized this isn't something you mastered in a day... or week or month... or even necessarily a year :) I can entirely understand why you felt those things. If someone thinks they are doing something "very simple" and keep getting corrected it's natural to feel the frustration of 'why can't I do this?!'
  • Amy911Gray
    Amy911Gray Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    That made me mad...the easiest way to learn exercises correctly is to watch and copy. Why didn't the trainer just do a squat have have you copy??? Duh :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    I've always heard keep your back straight and don't let your knees go past your toes - but then there are plie squats where that's kind of impossible ... I just do it a little bit past my comfort zone and to the point where I can feel it in my quads, hamstrings, and glutes. Just act like you're sitting in a chair, knees about hip width apart, but don't go down too far or you could pull something.
  • 76tech
    76tech Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    Two pages already and no one mentioned "butt-wink" Thought that was inevitable when discussing squats :smile:

And just to parrot everyone else here, proper form may not seem important now, but you'll end up with major problems if you don't learn the right form. Might seem nitpicky, but squats are really easy to screw up. So are your knees.
  • dawgn49
    dawgn49 Posts: 15
    Options

Research the supplement glucosamine for osteoarthritis. Lots of people have had success with this supplement. Also I point my toes out with feet slightly wider than shoulder width for a good solid base. I don't wear my shoes either as this put me on my toes too much. Sock feet or a flat soled shoe made a huge difference especially when I got to 3 plates. Upper back and core should be solid through entire ROM when squatting.
  • Jesung
    Jesung Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    if you want a good idea on a proper squat its just like you about to sit on a public toilet but not letting your butt touch the seat.....

Made me laugh! ...I'm sure this will pop in my head now everytime I do squats.
    As silly as it sounds, I've actually said this to some friends and it seemed to help them visualize the correct motion.

Couple of things I want to say:
    There is no one correct way to do a squat. There are high-bar squats (Olympic style) and low-bar squats (powerlifting style) which are very different and there's everything in between. Plus, everyone has different bone structure and that plays a big role in determining the correct technique for your body.
    Knees behind toes should not be taken literally. If you have a narrow stance and try to keep your knees behind your toes, you will blow your lower back out very quickly.
  • Jesung
    Options
    Oh, and don't wear running shoes when you do squats because they have too much cushion. Better to do squats barefoot or with flat-soled shoes.
    And make sure you add weight each workout provided that your form doesn't break down.
  • Jeff92se
    Options
  • Jesung
    Options
    His knees do go past his toes. Not that you can learn anything useful from a 200+lb guy squatting 95-135...
  • jms1985
    jms1985 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I was "taught" that a squat should be like you are "squatting" in the woods (like... to use the bathroom, outside). Gross, but true. It's about right! LOL
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    There is absolutely a correct way to do it, if you ever intend to use it to build muscle and you like your joints.
  • love22step
    love22step Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't want to hire that "trainer." I've been taught: knees over your ankles, butt up, shoulders up, and weight on your heels.
  • dane11235813
    dane11235813 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    His knees do go past his toes. Not that you can learn anything useful from a 200+lb guy squatting 95-135...

what kind of an ignorant statement is that?
    are you saying a person can't practice their form if they're not using a heavy weight? that's exactly how a person should learn. by using a light weight until they feel comfortable with the lift.
  • Jeff92se
    Options

I I were to use a long ruler and stand it straight from is toes to his knees, it appears that his knees would not hit or just slightly touch as most. That's how it looks to me.
  • vs1023
    vs1023 Posts: 417 Member
    Options

Yup this and put the weight in your heels. You should be able to wiggle your toes. Keep your chest upright. I'm sure youtube has a bazillion examples. Squats are awesome and so effective.