Fiber

Options
I've read that you should get around 25-30 grams of fiber a day, but even though I eat a lot of vegetables I am not a huge fan of bread/pasta even if it's whole wheat and I have trouble getting to that number. How much do you think is good to get and have you noticed an increase in weight loss when you increased your fiber? Also is it worth it to take a fiber supplement? I was looking at the Weight Management Vitafusion Fiber Gummies, anyone take them and think they work?

Replies

• melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Fiber is only good for weight loss because it helps you feel full. However, you need it for digestive health, it lowers cholesterol, controls blood sugar, and probably other things I can't think of right now.

You don't need bread for fiber, you need to eat the right foods! Beans are fiber bombs- black beans, lentils, garbanzos...also raspberries are very high in fiber for a fruit. This link has some high fiber foods:
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/high-fiber-foods/NU00582
  • Kimsied
    Kimsied Posts: 232
    Options
    When I eat in that range of fiber, I think it helps with regular digestion, and feeling satisfied with less food. Lots of vegetables and beans and nuts and fruit can help. Whole grains are best if you eat grains, oatmeal can be good. But there are a lot of options. I do best with fiber when I have a smoothie that includes spinach and berries, as I can trick myself into eating more spinach than I normally would when it is hidden in a smoothie. I would guess anyway you can sneak more low calorie fiber-rich vegetables would help. And beans are fantastic if you eat them for fiber.
  • erxkeel
    erxkeel Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    FIBER UPPER CUT!
  • GinNouveau
    GinNouveau Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I use Benefiber powder. I has no texture or flavor, so I mix it in with my coffee creamer. You can mix it in to almost anything like yogurt, soups, crystal light water, or even in plain water I couldn't tell a difference in taste. 2 tsp has 3g of fiber and 15 calories. I'm sure it's not as good as getting the fiber from actual food, but it's an option.
  • ruby_red_rose
    ruby_red_rose Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I take 3 doses of benefiber powder everyday. I really like it.