Options
    I was wondering how accurate the exercise logs are with the
    calories burned. I know it is calculated by weight and time, but
    I was wondering if there is another source to double check the
    calories. Thanks
  • MissResa
    MissResa Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    I honestly think it depends on the exercise... For me, I knew the log was waaaay off, because I would enter that I played 2 hours of competitive volleyball, and it would come back that I worked off over 1700 calories... I bought a good heart rate monitor, with a chest strap because they are more accurate, and found out that on a slow night, I was burning about 973 calories-a VERY BIG DIFFERENCE!!! It really depends on how strenuous your activity is, too. Invest in a HRM, and you'll know with better accuracy how much your burning.:drinker:
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Yep, Resa is right. The exercise logs are user input, and as such specific to what a particular user burns for that exercise, although I think some of them were originally put in by Mike, that was slightly before my time though.

Basically each person burns calories from exercise at a different rate, based on their metabolism, body chemistry, and genetics. So relying on the exercise logs for your exercise calorie numbers is an iffy proposition. Better to estimate your own based on your numbers (VO2 Max, height, weight, age, sex) or far easier and better is to get an HRM that does a fitness test when you first get it. that should be accurate up to about 95% (From the polarUSA website).

I had an extremely hard time finding a formula online for the calories burned that wasn't suspect. So I'll leave it at that. I know that I'd find one if I kept looking, but I just don't have time at the moment to do so, if you really want to know the formula, post again, I'll keep looking.