buying a wii, what's best?

Options

Replies

• sierrafielding
    Options
    X Box Kinect! With the Wii, you are only tracking your hand movement... With the Kinect, you are forced to use more of your body and the motion tracker is much more accurate! Also, the games are better!
  • PrincessLou71186
    PrincessLou71186 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I love my Wii.

I use Wii Fit, Zumba and Just Dance 2 (I have the first but the second gives you more work out option, not sure about 3).

I use it 3-5 times a week but only do the weigh-in once a week.

Wouldn't be without it.

(The balance board is also great for weighing cases, lol.)
  • LaLa150
    LaLa150 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love Wii Zumba and it DEFINITELY will burn some calories!! Dancing doesn't feel like real exercise to me, so that's why I like Zumba. Lol. Wii Fit Plus is pretty good for low intensity exercise. I'm looking forward to getting Just Dance 3. :bigsmile:
  • Alicja_W
    Alicja_W Posts: 169
    Options
    X Box Kinect! With the Wii, you are only tracking your hand movement... With the Kinect, you are forced to use more of your body and the motion tracker is much more accurate! Also, the games are better!

agreed ! agreed ! agreed ! :love:
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    i dont really like wii :ohwell: i prefer kinect, that my dad just got me for my birthday :bigsmile: anyway, i really think that kinect is much better as you dont need to have anything in your hands, and you need to move all your body not just hands :wink: in your place i would really think more of kinect, but its your decision :flowerforyou:
    You don't have to move anything with either the Wii or the Kinect. If you want to get a workout, most Wii games involve full body movement. You could cheat, and only move the controller with your arms, but why would you?
  • Alicja_W
    Alicja_W Posts: 169
    Options
    i dont really like wii :ohwell: i prefer kinect, that my dad just got me for my birthday :bigsmile: anyway, i really think that kinect is much better as you dont need to have anything in your hands, and you need to move all your body not just hands :wink: in your place i would really think more of kinect, but its your decision :flowerforyou:
    You don't have to move anything with either the Wii or the Kinect. If you want to get a workout, most Wii games involve full body movement. You could cheat, and only move the controller with your arms, but why would you?

kinect is still more accurate as it sees all your body movement not just hands, and games are much, much better i know that for shure, one of my best friend has wii, the other has kinect, wii games are much more simpler, so i chosen kinect for myself
  • Xenopus
    Xenopus Posts: 13 Member
    Options

EA Sports Active 2 for Wii puts a sensor on your leg...
  • Xenopus
    Xenopus Posts: 13 Member
    Options

EA Sports Active 2 for Wii puts a sensor on your leg...
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    kinect is still more accurate as it sees all your body movement not just hands, and games are much, much better i know that for shure, one of my best friend has wii, the other has kinect, wii games are much more simpler, so i chosen kinect for myself
    If you're interested in getting a high score for your movements, sure, go for the Kinect and the much higher price tag.

If you're interested in a less expensive option, you can get as much exercise from a Wii.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    I have had my Wii for almost a year, and it basically became an expensive set of scales. That being said, it's the best set of scales ever! :) I definitely do not like Wii Fit or Wii Fit Plus, and I definitely do not find the Mii characters enjoyable or inspiring -- neither does my daughter. If you like to dance, you will probably enjoy the Just Dance series, but I don't think they're very accurate. I prefer following along with a real person, so that's probably why the Wii isn't working for me.
  • kaned_ferret
    kaned_ferret Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I have "My Personal Fitness Trainer" - it's a fairly basic game that takes you through exercise sessions combining aerobics, balance, strength building and whatnot, and also allows for "peripheral equipment" i.e. if you tell the game you have weights, your routine will incorporate them, or a gym ball, step, heart monitor. Even the basic workouts minus these things (I don't have them!) are good, there is variety and it actually works properly in warming you up>achieving peak heartrate>alternating between exercises and rest to achieve good results. I persoally enjoy the music, but it's just instrumental/beats, not pop music or known songs or anything, but this doesn't bother me. It's kinda like a workout dvd, no frills, but much more enjoyable!

And you can do yoga, and yes, it is real yoga, with full flowing movements, not just one pose after another :) I love this game - in fact I actually bought the wii to go with it lol (my last wii left with the ex - small price to pay!)

I only wish I could have more motivation so I could do it every day - I honestly love the workouts, but just have the problem of "getting around to it" - that's MY fault though, not the wii's!

hth x

ETA: You get full visual and descriptive instruction on each of the moves, so you always know how to do them right! Maya (your instructor) will also ask you how you're feeling each time, and throughout workouts, so that the level of motivation and difficulty of exercises given can be made appropriate. I love this - plus I can shout at her when she tells me to "work smart, work hard" :D Finally, Maya makes you remember to breathe and hold correct posture - it's amazing how far these little nudges go to help you get it right (and not pass out lmao!)
  • purpledelight
    purpledelight Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Just dance

love them use them sweat to them
  • pilotgirl2007
    pilotgirl2007 Posts: 368 Member
    Options

I dont know much about xbox kinect but I HATE my wii. The only time I use it is when my 6 year old niece comes over and for netflix (which it is horrible at). The console is slow and there isnt' much in the way of games and half the time the remote doesn't seem to work right.

And I don't feel that I get that much of a workout using the wii. I have just dance and there is so much time in between the songs that I had to do jumping jacks just to keep my heart rate up AND it took me an hour to burn just over 100 calories. Moral of the story: Try out all your options before deciding on the wii
  • DJJW
    DJJW Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    wow! You all inspire me, way to come and and help! So from what I read it's looking like I want a balance board

What DON'T you like about the balance boards?

ps...family has voted on a wii.
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    I also have Gold's Gym Cardio, which I haven't seenu roomed yet. I can get a pretty good burn going with that. Also, Jillian Michaels is a good workout, though not as much fun.

Pam
  • kasmir8199
    kasmir8199 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Zumba! And a friend of mine just told me about NFL Training Camp. Says it really kicks your butt. :)
  • adjones_21
    adjones_21 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I have the Wii with the Wii Fit Plus. It is fun but OMG the Xbox 360 with Kinects is SOOOOOO MUCH BETTER. You actually have to move your entire body. Kinect sports, The biggest loser ultimate work out and Fruit Ninja kick my *kitten* every day, but they are soooo much fun!!!
  • lmfsmiles
    lmfsmiles Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Wii Fit Plus...Zumba and definitely Just Dance 3!
  • Puddykat1026
    Puddykat1026 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I have Wii Sports (comes with console) and got Wii Fit Plus & Zumba 2. There are many games you can use with the balance board, but Fit is nice because not everything uses the board (many yoga moves you don't need it). I also learned how to do many moves PROPERLY on it because it shows you where to balance your weight correctly. Then I moved on to Zumba & Zumba 2. I reccomend Zumba 2 as it is much more advanced graphically & has more options (beginner, moderate, & advanced). I'm in the market for Just Dance & possibly the Biggest Loser game. I've seen the Jillian Michael's games too, but haven't tried. My next "big" purchase will probably be Active 2.

Yes, getting the remote is a pain (I've actually sprung the remote out of the Zumba belt when it moved up after a squat type move), but I think it makes you work harder to achieve the points, technical points, & calories burned. Also, when using the balance board, remember not to JUMP when doing ski moves! One more thing, get an inexpensive yoga mat for when you use the board. I have tile floors & you can't wear shoes when using it. If I wear socks I slip unless I'm using the mat or some skid proof socks.
  • MikeInAZ
    MikeInAZ Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Get the Xbox with Kinect. Much better all around. Get "Your Shape Fitness Evolved 2012" and the latest "Biggest Loser" games. There are also Zumba and Dance games available too.

I had a Wii, just got the Xbox, I like it A LOT better!!!