Greek Yogurt

Options
2»

Replies

• dunq13
    dunq13 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Though I've had friends describe eating it as a form of torture, I personally love greek yogurt-both for its nutritional content and flavor. I eat half a quart of the stuff daily...no joke. I prefer the 0% Fage (which I normally eat completely plain) because their sugar content is a little lower and protein content a little higher...but its so minimally different to certain other brands that in the end, its my pick based on flavor. I do recommend that if you're going to choose a brand other than those mentioned, you take a look at the label. I've found some sneaky "greek" yogurts that are loaded with sugar and have surprisingly little protein, so if you're pushing through a taste you don't like in order to reap nutritional rewards, those aren't going to be your best bet.

Although they sure do tastes good, I've been avoiding any yogurt with fruit flavors added recently, so if I really want to sweeten up my plain greek yogurt, I add some fresh pineapple. For some reason, I find that's the best fruit to mix with it because the juice does a great job of lessening the tart taste...but obviously that is personal preference. If you can bear to try a single cup of some other brands, give it a shot. They're all a little different and the flavor really does grow on you. (Either that, or eating it has completely ruined my taste buds) :)
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Though I've had friends describe eating it as a form of torture, I personally love greek yogurt-both for its nutritional content and flavor. I eat half a quart of the stuff daily...no joke. I prefer the 0% Fage (which I normally eat completely plain) because their sugar content is a little lower and protein content a little higher...but its so minimally different to certain other brands that in the end, its my pick based on flavor. I do recommend that if you're going to choose a brand other than those mentioned, you take a look at the label. I've found some sneaky "greek" yogurts that are loaded with sugar and have surprisingly little protein, so if you're pushing through a taste you don't like in order to reap nutritional rewards, those aren't going to be your best bet.

There are lots of fake greek yogurts that contain thickeners. Proper greek yogurt should contain basically milk and yogurt cultures. If you see anything else like pectin or carageen it isn't worth the price premium. They aren't thickening it by straining out the extra liquid.

If you want to make your own, get a plain yogurt (with no added thickeners) and line a mesh strainer with a cheese cloth or coffee filters. place this above a bowl or something, and let strain for 3-12 hours until it is the desired thickness for you.
  • dshalbert
    dshalbert Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Fage with strawberry is my fav! Eating it plain is kind of gross.
  • ruby_red_rose
    ruby_red_rose Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I love Fage 2% plain greek yogurt topped with fiber one cereal. Healthy and yummy.
  • ktrose16
    ktrose16 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I think that Dannon Oikos w/fruit on the bottom is the best greek yogurt that I have tried.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I think that Dannon Oikos w/fruit on the bottom is the best greek yogurt that I have tried.

Sadly when Dannon bought and finished integrating Stonyfield the ingredient quality decreased. The joint branded stuff is full of fillers and preservatives. This Oikos "partnership" can end as far as I am concerned.

Stonyfield Vanilla Oikos, the ingredients were: CULTURED PASTEURIZED ORGANIC NONFAT MILK, ORGANIC SUGAR, ORGANIC NATURAL VANILLA FLAVOR. CULTURES: S. THERMOPHILUS, L. BULGARICUS, L. ACIDOPHILUS, BIFIDUS, AND L. CASEI.
    110 cal, 11g sugar, 15g protein

The Danon Oikos Vanilla: Cultured Grade A nonfat milk, water, sugar, fructose, modified cornstartch, natural vanilla flavor, malic acid, potasium sorbate, sodium citrate, vitamin d3. "active yogurt cultures"
    120 cal, 18g sugar, 12g protein

Another offender, Greek Gods:
    Most flavors contain pectin (a thickening agent)

One of my favorites, Voskos, does a great job with plain, but all of the flavored ones have tapioca startch. :(

Things that make you go, hmmmmm.......
  • LyneLM
    LyneLM Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Half a cup of Oikos or Liberté plain greek yogourt (0% fat), with drops of vanilla, 1 packet of Stevia (this is the only way, so far, I can stand Stevia), 1 teaspoon chia seeds + 1 cup of my favorite fruits: this has been my favorite breakfast and dessert for the last 6 months.

I also was not that keen on greek yogourt to start with, but sInce I developed a taste for it, I like the yogourts a lot less.
  • msiamjan
    msiamjan Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I like it because it's thick and creamy so eating it feels like something substantial. I do the fat free stuff, add some artificial sweetner (I know, I know, that's a no, no-but I'm not ready to let go) and berries. It's satisfying.
  • hotkrystal
    hotkrystal Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Try 0% Fage with 1/3 cup Comstock Sugar Free Cherry Pie Filling (35 calories). Very close to cherry cheesecake for less than 200 calories and 0 fat!
  • knight76306
    knight76306 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I love the stuff. I think it's one of those foods that "you get what you pay for". Love Chobani and Fage - plain. I'll add some frozen berries or eat plain.

I also mix herbs in it and use it as a dip, spread for sandwiches, etc. Basically, I use it in place of mayo. It's my "go to" protein if I need something in a hurry.

It can get expensive, but now SAMs Club carries it. Finally!