Options

Replies

• ogosun
    ogosun Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    It worked for Beyonce..... so good on her..... :smile:
  • LauraRose03
    Options
    This would be like kick starting your undergrad degree by dropping out of high school

Agreed! Haha, the maple syrup diet sounds terrible and un-healthy!
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    My rule is don't try any diet you can't maintain. You obviously can't maintain eating syrup with lemon juice forever, so why start in the first place? Maybe a better goal for your weekend would be to have no processed sugars (fruit is OK) or try switching to a low sodium diet for a week. Small steps like that will help you transition into an overall healthier lifestyle. Once you skip sugar for one weekend and realize how easy it is, you can expand that to a week, then a month, etc. etc.

I know that if I tried this diet for a weekend, by Sunday night I'd be binging on everything in sight. So yeah, focus on more attainable goals :)
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    It worked for Beyonce..... so good on her..... :smile:
    Allegedly.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Has anyone tried this diet? From what I know it consists of only drinking maple syrup with water and lemon juice. Was thinking of doing this for maybe a weekend? Not too long as im aware that it's not very healthy haha but just to give me a kick start! Any thoughts or experiences? :)

sounds similar to the master cleanse. really it won't kick start anything.

Just eat foods you like and maintain a consistent caloric deficit. Getting in adequate amounts of protein and fats would be ideal as well

^^^THIS^^^ Fad diets are just that. Fads. Take a look at ACG's pic. Clearly, he know's what he is talking about. Do what he suggests, stay under on your calories and expect to lose between 1/2 and 2 lbs per week. That is the healthy way. Everything is fluff that someone is making money off of.
    Now while I do believe that Acg knows his stuff, thinking that he does because of his picture of abs....is pure broscience, bro.
  • crunchybubblez
    crunchybubblez Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    If you want to do something "extreme" like that, I suggest a "juice feast".
    You get your calories, vitamins, & minerals, but you also get the cleansing aspect.
    If you have Netflix, watch Fat, Sick, & Nearly Dead.
    If not google the movie for info.
  • killagb
    Options
    You get your calories, vitamins, & minerals, but you also get the cleansing aspect.
    You might be able to find it by Googling 'juicer commercial disguised as a documentary'.
  • CaptainGordo
    Options
    Good lord. Nobody needs a cleanse unless they're prepping for a colonoscopy.

The body does an excellent job of "cleansing" itself. Just treat it right and it will treat you right. There is no "cleanse" as effective as simply eating well.

"The best way to 'detox' the body is simply to let your body do its job. Unless you have a medical problem, your body takes care of itself quite nicely, experts say.

"The liver and kidneys are nature's best-kept secret, because they are the weapons to eliminate toxins from your body," says Gerbstadt. "If you are concerned about certain substances in your diet, it is easier and safer to simply eliminate [those substances] rather than engage in unhealthy detox plans."

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=64306
    http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/detox-diets-purging-myths

According to Chau Che MD, with New York University:

"Despite evidence to the contrary, the idea that colon cleansing is therapeutic by removing impurities, lives on. However, these claims largely fail to consider normal physiology. The digestive tract has inherent properties that work to clean our colon. After food ingestion, the small intestine absorbs nutrients and contracts to move indigestible residue into the colon. The colon continues the digestive process by absorbing and secreting electrolytes and fluids while its resident bacteria ferments the undigested food products. These are just some of the many mechanisms in which the digestive tract works in order to ensure that the colon does not become encrusted with fecal matter as some products claim. The black, rubbery material passed on a colon cleanse is actually a byproduct from the supplements and fiber in the colon cleansing product as opposed to old fecal material, in which consumers are led to believe."

http://www.clinicalcorrelations.org/?p=1605
    Reviewed by Michael Poles MD and Fritz Francois MD, NYU Division of Gastroenterology
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    Going on Beyonce's work out regime would probably yield better results.
  • purple_punk
    purple_punk Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I did it this time last year, did 7 days of it, i was 237lbs dropped to around 225, the next week was back to 237lbs :grumble:
    my advice just eat the minimum cals mfp gives you and drink a lot of water at least 10 cups cos the maple syrup stuff is meant to give you calories but why not eat solid food and hydrate yourself?
  • CaptainGordo
    Options
    Take a look at ACG's pic. Clearly, he know's what he is talking about.
    If it's his pic that qualifies him, then I was the 16th president of the United States, and one of Dr. Seuss' most memorable characters.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Sugar maples are a species of maple native to the hardwood forests of northeastern North America, from Nova Scotia west to southern Ontario, and south to Georgia and Texas. Sugar maples are best known for their bright fall foliage and for being the primary source of maple syrup.
  • hannyfran
    Options
    It is called the Master Cleanse, and it's not the best plan because it can kill your metabolism if you're on it for too long. I don't know how effective it is for "cleansing" your body, but as a diet, it sucks because as soon as you start eating, the weight will usually go back on.
    If you do it for maybe a day or two, it probably won't hurt... and you might find that it gives you the push you need to begin a new lifestyle :smile:
  • CaptainGordo
    Options
    Sugar maples are a species of maple native to the hardwood forests of northeastern North America, from Nova Scotia west to southern Ontario, and south to Georgia and Texas. Sugar maples are best known for their bright fall foliage and for being the primary source of maple syrup.
    I would love to tap a maple right now.
  • killagb
    Options
    I would love to tap a maple right now.
    id-tap-that.jpg
  • crunchybubblez
    Options
    Except for the fact there's so many different brands of juicers and they don't endorse a single one...
  • CaptainGordo
    Options
    Except for the fact there's so many different brands of juicers and they don't endorse a single one...
    Pretty sure he was joking about it being a commercial for juicers, but not about it being bunk, and widely discredited.
  • crunchybubblez
    Options
    You are correct in that our bodies can do it themselves, but for some reason WE can't.
    I tried it for 10 days, and it gave me tons of energy after the first 3 days of withdrawals.
  • LexieSweetheart
    LexieSweetheart Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    I would not recommend this to anyone.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    If only done for a weekend that is unlikely to be unhealthy, unless you have some underlying medical condition that requires keeping your blood sugar more constant. When I was young I used to occasionally just not eat anything al all for a day if my jeans felt a little tight. I don't know how much difference it will make in your long term weight loss goals though.