Need help finding motivation after a death...

Options
I had to put my cat of 18 years to sleep last night. It was time, she had kidney failure and was in a lot of pain. I had her since I was 7 years old.

Most people don't seem to understand how difficult of a loss this was because it was a pet instead of a "person". I am finding difficulty finding motivation to eat well and exercise. It's been about a week since I knew I was going to have to put her down.

Anyone been through a similar situation and have any advice? I don't want to undo everything I have done....

Replies

• helloburger
    helloburger Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I'm ever so sorry. There was a post from a woman who was in a similar situation with her cat of 19 years. You may wish to search the forum. I'm hope that you are okay x
  • alimarieban
    Options
    Oh my goodness. I am so sorry for your loss. Although I have not lost a pet, I can only imagine how sad you must feel right now. Maybe you should give yourself some time to mourn your loss and then when you feel like it- get back to your regimen.
  • tananichelle
    tananichelle Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Give yourself some time to grieve, and don't be too hard on yourself. It's ok to worry about other things for a little while. I'm so sorry for your loss.
  • blink1021
    blink1021 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I understand completely I love my dog just as if he was family and it would upset me terribly to lose him. I would take the steps just as you would had it been a human. Pets to some people are just the same as if it was a grandmother or parent. Give yourself time and if you do not feel like working out make sure you eat correctly. Even if you stay the same it won't be a waste. I am so sorry for your cat.
  • grassette
    grassette Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Exercise will release endomorphins that will make you feel better. Don`t give up on exercise because it is a great cure for depression.

We do love our little creatures, don`t we? Losing someone you grew up with is not easy. My deepest sympathies.
  • cdngirl71
    cdngirl71 Posts: 2,707 Member
    Options
    Awww sorry for your loss. I have a cat and he is 14 yrs old, can't imagine losing him. Give yourself some time to get over your loss and get back on track when you are ready.
  • lauradee
    lauradee Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    So sorry for your loss. Losing a pet can be very difficult. I had to put my cat to sleep for the exact same thing the day before Thanksgiving. Just try to stay strong and not let food be your comfort.
  • hypotrochoid
    hypotrochoid Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    It's hard. I had to put down my dog, Ein, on the 24th of December. He'd been sick for a long time, but... yeah.

Take the time and grieve. You're not going to get over it right away, nor should you. Your kitty was a member of the family and anyone who says she's just an animal is an idiot.

As far as staying on track, just keep slogging through. It'll get easier, promise. *hugs*
  • melbaby925
    Options
    So very sorry for your loss. It doesn't matter whether you lose a cat, a dog or a person - if you lose someone you love, it's a grieving process and you should go through it.

You should walk. Do some stretching or yoga. Nice, relaxing things that will help you keep things moving while you go through this. I think I saw someone post about exercise and depression - I recently read that 30 minutes of walking and/or other exercise is an anti-depressant. So you should keep at it, even if you're not in the mood.

I'm sorry you lost your cat.
  • jennifer6791
    Options
    i'm so sorry for your loss. i had a nightmare 2 nights ago that i lost my beloved dachshund, chloe... i was devastated and it was just a dream. i have no advice except to be good to yourself and know that your cat is not suffering.
  • ambercanfly
    ambercanfly Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Thank you all! I am really touched by all your kind words :-)

I am definitely going to try not to comfort myself with food. I did overeat on the day it happened. I felt like crap afterwards instead of feeling any better. I don't think food has the effect on me it once did.... which is great! I think I will try out some lighter exercise like walking and yoga this week to at least keep me moving. I will try to get back into my routine next week, and try not to feel so guilty and let myself grieve.
  • TurtleRunnerNC
    TurtleRunnerNC Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    So sorry for your loss. I have had to put down several pets in my lifetime & it is always awful. Allow yourself to grieve. I agree that walking or yoga would be great,gives you time to reflect on your beloved pet but keeps you out of the fridge & pantry.

As someone who has been through this trauma more than once, most recently in Jan 2010 when I lost my 8 year old Boxer to cancer, you will be ok.
  • katonaroof
    katonaroof Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    hi amber - i am so sad for your loss. and i agree with most of what's been already said. it's great that food doesn't seem to have the same effect on you anymore and that'll help you to not go back to where you've been. i've also lost the companionship of four legged friends over the years; most recently my 2 year old "puppy" who was hit by a car in august and it's a tough thing - made more so because so much of society says it's only an animal; yet she was like my child (i even have a t-shirt that says all my children have four paws) so try to walk or do light yoga and if you can't then don't beat yourself up about it. it sounds like you've gotten a good foundation under you by now. also, do give yourself the time to grieve this loss - it's so important. peace, katie
  • micneg01
    micneg01 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    My deepest condolences. I am so sorry for your loss. Hugs.