I keep binging! Need help!

Options
I've upped my calories to where I am trying to be close to 2000. Plus more if I exercise. Lately I have been having a day a week where I am at least 2000(!!!!) over my goal. I am going crazy and really don't know how to stop myself. I'm full. I'm not hungry yet I keep eating. Digging through cupboards, the freezer and the fridge.
I drink water, I am trying to eat veggies when I get days like this. I just don't know what to do anymore.

Replies

• carlos1989
    carlos1989 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    do u exercise everyday?
  • tea_and_tofu
    Options
    find things to distract yourself. make a list of them if youd like.
    dont buy foods that trigger your binges, or just dont buy any junk food at all.
    if you get the urge to binge, go exercise. afterwards you'll be so pumped up and proud of yourself that you wont want to binge.

hope i helped :)
  • schnarfo
    schnarfo Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    dont keep any of your trigger binge foods in the house that way if its not there you cant be tempted
  • blink1021
    blink1021 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    When I get feelings of bored eating I find something to do to keep myself out of the kitchen whether it is taking in another workout, or finding a hobby like sewing anything to keep your hands busy also if possible do not buy the junk and keep it in the house so there is no worry of binging.
  • Akahime
    Akahime Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Do you eat a lot of sugar? When your blood glucose levels spike and then crash it fools your body into believing you are hungry. Try to cut down on sugars especially processed sugars and zero calorie sweeteners as well. That should help a lot.
  • RunningFortheGoal
    Options
    I would try doing something to get your mind off the eating.

Chew gum
    Read a book
    Drink water (I love getting cheap falvored waters and using those to help curb my cravings)
    go for a walk

pretty much anything to get your mind off food and keep yourself from getting bored. I know I had a problem where anytime I was bored, I would head for the fridge/pantry and grab a snack.
  • ruby_red_rose
    ruby_red_rose Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Sorry - I am going through a milder version of this. Last time, I was able to stop myself my forcing myself to only drink protein shakes everytime I wanted to eat something. 4 protein shakes later, my binge was over. I need to do something drastic like that again. Btw, it wasn't an unhealthy approach because each protein shake I drink had 180 calories and 23g of protein - so I didn't take in unhealthy amounts of anything.
  • katste48
    Options
    I'm like you , this is my second day of not binging..been on a year binge basically. Just try to get through an hour then a day...with me it is things in my life I need to clean up ,I won't go into details, however; focus on yourself..one day at a time..I really like this site..good luck we will need it..
  • KRFinLeth
    Options
    I go through spells like this too.
    1. Keep NOTHING tempting in your house in terms of junk food.
    2. How's your sleep? You get energy from food and sleep. You may be looking for energy in all the wrong places. Make sure you're getting 7-9 hours every night.
    3. Exercise. Found this on the net a while back: "Exercising literally changes the makeup of the brain, increasing grey matter and prefrontal connections, which in turn brings on what's called "inhibitory control," or more simply put, will power, the opposite of impulsiveness."
  • KeepGoingRhonda
    KeepGoingRhonda Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    Love the "have protein shake idea!!"
  • snowbrite79
    Options
    sometimes when our bodies our needing certain nutrients your brain will keep sending hunger signals till it gets them...try having a green smoothie ( a couple big handfuls of greens, 1 banana, and 1/2 cup frozen berries, 1 cup of water, blend in blender) greens have tons of nutrients we need and the smoothie will give you lots of fiber to help keep you full. i will also add 1 tbsp of ground flax seeds too. :)
  • Figuringoutme
    Options
    I am binging on cereal, stuffed peppers, bread.
    I am trying to keep myself busy but it's not helping.

I feel so sick
  • Silvercivic
    Silvercivic Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    It's hard, right?! I'm doing a pretty good job in general but I still binge every once in a while and I don't like it. It is weird because it is kind of like smoking for me (though I've never been a smoker)- I feel really relaxed after a binge. And then I have more energy to do stuff. I tend to binge when I have a lot of stress. I know what triggers it, I know what to do to help prevent it, but it still happens to me. I'm getting better but it is a long process!

Anyway, just wanted to say that I feel your pain. My best advice would be to try not to beat yourself up too much. And I hope that you find that your binges become less frequent and less caloric! Good luck and stick with it!
  • CocoaBeautiful78
    Options
    I've upped my calories to where I am trying to be close to 2000. Plus more if I exercise. Lately I have been having a day a week where I am at least 2000(!!!!) over my goal. I am going crazy and really don't know how to stop myself. I'm full. I'm not hungry yet I keep eating. Digging through cupboards, the freezer and the fridge.
    I drink water, I am trying to eat veggies when I get days like this. I just don't know what to do anymore.

Are you an emotional eater? Do you have a food addiction? I'm asking because I binge (1 whole month and counting since my last episode!) and I have an issue with both. I try to stop and ask myself what's wrong? Why do I want this? Why am I in the kitchen? Am I sad, mad, bored? It's very hard to break the habit. I find that chewing gum and drinking plenty of water helps but really for me it was getting to the core of what was going on. Feel free to add me for support!
  • thirtyandthriving
    thirtyandthriving Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I understand exactly where you are coming from. I think I have kind of figured out that I am afraid to lose more weight (psychologically). I have lots more to lose but its kind of self sabotage because I'm afraid of failure. I have recently overcome one of these spells and back on the weight loss train.

To be blunt, you just have to snap out of it. You have lost a ton of weight already, you just have to figure out why you have let your guard down and figure out what you need to do to get your will power back in check.
  • cstein71
    cstein71 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I am no expert on this as I am having a binge day myself today, but I got on here and wrote on my blog. I am keeping it like a diary to record my feelings and to help me learn to manage those feelings before I let food and drink manage them. I had bad day at work today and am currently not totally happy with some of my relationships. By writing my feelings down I can figure out why I am really doing this. It gives me a sense of control so I don't let the food and drink control me, hopefully. Don't forget to forgive yourself...we all have these days
  • ldennett
    ldennett Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Honestly when I am binging like this it is usually because I have an emotion that I do not want to deal with. Ask yourself if anything is wrong? If there is an emotional reason you are feeding yourself like this? Allow yourself to be emotional.

If it isn't emotional, sometimes it is about feeling satiated for me. I know healthy hot homemade food makes me feel the most satisfied so I would go out of your way to cook something that you like and that you consider a "complete" meal. Then sit at the table, eat slowly and savour every single bite and pay attention to how it tastes. Binging is all about being unconscious. To stop you have to stop being unconsious.
  • hannyfran
    Options
    If my binge cravings get really bad, sometimes I will just lock myself in my room with my computer and watch something on Hulu or go on Facebook, just to take my mind off food.
    Another thing that works pretty well is brushing your teeth after you are done eating a meal. Food and toothpaste taste really bad together, so this should help restrain you.
    Other things you could try:
    -Going for a walk or run
    -making a small healthy snack and then going out of the house to eat it (park, yard, ect)
    -go paint your nails, put on a face mask, or something (if you're into that)
    -Drink tea or WATER!!! (with lemon, lime or crystal light if you want)

Sometimes (this may sound a bit crazy) I find it necessary to just say no. Like literally put the food away and yell (or whisper if you live with others) "No, I have had enough to eat. I am going to stop eating so I can lose this weight!" Sometimes all I need is to hear myself rejecting the food.
  • elcieloesazul
    elcieloesazul Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel! I try to take my self out of situations where it's even possible to binge. Being out of the house, away from the pantry, and the kitchen for me is big one. Not sitting down to watch TV is another one, I always crave some snacky food when I do that. Listening to music ALWAYS helps calm me down and distract me from cravings. I also always have gum and water on hand. I just try to remind myself: "Food is NOT evil unless you abuse it. Learn how to USE it."
  • thinnerisstronger
    thinnerisstronger Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    You might not be getting enough nutrients. I find that when I don't eat very well, I end up over-eating because my body tries to make up for the lack of nutrients.

Try keeping yourself busy with other things as well. Brush your teeth. Just remember that food can't tell you what to do. You're the thinking, living, breathing one.

You can do it :)