How to eat all my calories

Options
I really need some help! I've been obese for all of my childhood and so far all of my adult life. I couldnt do much about it in childhood but now I'm an adult i need to pull up my socks and get on with it.

I've seen my doctor as i want to loose quite a bit of my weight and he told me i don't eat enough and joinging and logging my food here Im struggling to meet the calorie intake! I'm having to force myself to eat but once i eat i have a problem stopping

Before i started really trying I was having no breakfast, my favourite sandwhich on my 1st work break (430 calories), main meal on my lunch break and then coming home at 10/11pm and eating junk food. So now im eating proper breakfast (porridge or ceral bar if i have no time to make and eat porridge), lunch is either something ive made so tuna salad, a wrap or if ive slept in again getting the healthiest option in works canteen then coming home 10/11pm and having fruit, a wrap or making a main meal. I wasnt really hungry tonight but i was under 1000 calories and i was worried that was too little so i ended up having 4 fajitas that my other half had made.

So, before i ramble on some more how can i healthily eat enough calories without feeling like im forcing myself.

Replies

• shanea98
    shanea98 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    When decideing your meal make sure you add a protein item each time. So fo example you could have peanut butter and toast or yogurt and fruit for breakfast. These are also food items that can be grabbed and eaten on the go. For lunch-- make sure you add a veggies and fruit as well as protein/starch. So like sandwich raw veggie and fruit. These low Kcal high fiber items wil stick with longer. Eat your Dinner meal shortly after you get home in effort to reduce the "snacking" that happen during your home wind down. Then about the time you feed like you want something ( usually 2hrs post meal-- as blood sugar drops) doo some exercise- walk, jump around, dance whatever. THis will curb that urge. Then have a snack before bed--air popcorn, fruit or something light. Depending on your height, 1200 kcal may be enough for you. You know you, but its very important not to skip meals as that a metabolism killer--- home this helps :-)
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    For me planning and making my own food to take to work was key. If you don't have time to make lunch in the morning boil up some pasta the night before. Have stocks such as tuna, pasta, eggs etc at home. Look around stores and read labels, try new things, you'll find new low cal food which might become new favourites or diet staples.

For working out your calories, maybe try and aim for a calorie amount for each meal...i.e. 300 for breakfast, 400 for lunch, 400 for dinner and 100 spare for a snack? Plan according to how you want to be eating. What's your typical eating pattern, or when do you feel hungry?

One of the best things about MFP is it is a learning curve and hopefully will teach you - like it did me - how to eat within a sensible calorie amount and enjoy it.

Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I think you need to eat several small meals over the course of the day. My husband has the issue where if he doesn't eat often enough, he feels empty and wants to binge. Try eating every 3 hours - plan out what you're going to eat for a day before you start - and see if that helps.
  • thinnerisstronger
    thinnerisstronger Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    What do you put in your oatmeal? You can try adding in some peanut butter or protein powder. Plus, if you use protein powder, you don't need sweetener or milk.

You could eat some peanut butter on a spoon! Or munch on a banana or some almonds.
  • peacefulwhisper
    peacefulwhisper Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    So important to have 3 meals a day . My suggestion to you would be to try healthy meal replacement drink if you don;t have time. I love VEGA it gives you all your vitamins for the day. Throw it in a blender with water and a banana dump it in a drinking bottle and you are good to go. Easy peasy... :) Also boiling a bunch of eggs for the week is a good fast food on the run trick. :)