Pet peeves at the gym-_-

Options

Replies

• mcrmsi77
    mcrmsi77 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    oh and I hate when girls wear too short of shorts and they are on the floor mats with there legs in the air and their camel toe or beaver is hanging out!! I know you feel a breeze down there cover it up!!
  • MissJackie88
    Options
    I don't really have pet peeves... But there are a set of things that I do in the gym as a ritual:

- Leave my things next to the bench so when I superset an exercise, nobody takes it from me.
    - Change without covering up anything in the locker room. I typically perform my cooldown session here and walk @ 3.5mph pace in circles around he lockers in the center.
    - I sweat on every machine, but the staff is paid to clean it up so I leave my excess on there in support of their job security
    - I text in between sets
    - I talk on the cell phone while on the treadmills, I make sure that my tone is loud enough so the people around me don't get odd feelings of me talking about them when I'm not
    - I swear at myself out loud when I don't reach the final rep of my last set.
    - I don't just drop weights, I slam them.. this ensures that my company, around the gym, knows that I'm working diligently
    - I bring food with me to eat while I'm doing cardio on the bike... gotta make sure I hit all of my macros.

And that about does it.

LMAO!!! I totally needed that.
  • mcrmsi77
    mcrmsi77 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Why does reading during cardio bother so many people? How does it affect you? Is it any different than watching TV or listening to music?
    I think its fine to read! If I could concentrate on the words while doing it I would def study for a test while working out but I can't see the words when I am on the treadmill.
  • Apryl546
    Apryl546 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    When people keep farting while I'm on the elliptical and I still have over a half an hour to go... if it smells more than once get out of there!
    Ah, c'mon! He who smelt it, dealt it! 'Fess up!
    Whoever said the rhyme did the crime!
    ;D
  • Nailrep
    Nailrep Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Body odor. There used to be a couple who came into the gym in the mornings who smelled like pure funk. They finally were told they had to go shower. Ugh.
  • rissadiane
    rissadiane Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    When people don't clean the machines after they use them. I want nothing to do with other people's sweat, etc. :grumble: :noway:

This! I don't need your germs!

I also get frustrated when two or more people come in together and have a LOUD conversation. I'm going to go deaf from my iPod so you can get your weekly chat in.

And seriously... why torture yourself by watching THE FOOD NETWORK while you work out??

That's all. :)

My gym ALWAYS has the Food Network on. And it seems like when I go, it's all baked goods on - my weakness!
    hahahahaahahahahaah do you go to planet fitness?? They do the same thing drives me up the wall!! Its always something that i can not eat!!!

Yeah I do! bahaha. I thought it was just mine that was weird. It's just torture when I get a treadmill in front of that!
  • galvodka
    galvodka Posts: 102
    Options
    when an aerobic class gets out and all the ladies take power dumps in the locker room bathroom.

So funny! I was just wondering about this today! What is that ABOUT?? Most people don't live far from the gym....can't they just go home and do that?
  • rmsturdy
    Options
    haha Sorry, I watch Food Network while I'm on the treadmill...it always gives me ideas for dinner. I never follow the recipes though because I have my sneaky ways of cutting the fat!

My biggest pet peeve are the "fake New Years Resolutioners". It's great that your resolution is to lose weight...but become a regular and don't give up 2 weeks later. January sucks because a million people show up and take up all the cardio and weight machines and a month later they're all gone. GET OUT OF MY WAY!!!
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    oh and I hate when girls wear too short of shorts and they are on the floor mats with there legs in the air and their camel toe or beaver is hanging out!! I know you feel a breeze down there cover it up!!

That doesn't bother me that much
  • Robyn173
    Options
    Men who think it's appropriate to either stare you down or try to chat. No girl wants to be hit on when she's sweaty with no makeup and there to work.
  • houstonmacbro
    houstonmacbro Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    haha Sorry, I watch Food Network while I'm on the treadmill...it always gives me ideas for dinner. I never follow the recipes though because I have my sneaky ways of cutting the fat!

My biggest pet peeve are the "fake New Years Resolutioners". It's great that your resolution is to lose weight...but become a regular and don't give up 2 weeks later. January sucks because a million people show up and take up all the cardio and weight machines and a month later they're all gone. GET OUT OF MY WAY!!!

Yeah. I was at the gym all week and noticed a LOT of new faces. Wonder how many I will see in two months...
  • moniquelessard
    Options
    I have many pet peeves, but I don't understand why someone reading while working out, or someone weighing themself in the evening is anyone's business.

Single mother and former nursing student (just graduated). I've read my printed class slides while walking on the treadmill and if I make it to the gym at night, I weigh myself. And if anyone has a problem with it they can go f-themselves :):):):)
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Way too many to mention however if I was to narrow it down to my top 3 pet peeves then it would be...

-Reading magazines/books on the cardio machines, c´mon are you really wanting to work out or do you just want to catch up on the latest celeb gossip.

I don't see a problem with this. If they're exercising who cares whether they read, watch, cook, knit? Is it not cool to listen to my iPod too?
    -The one rep guy, he really isn´t impressing anyone loading up his bar to attempt a half rep. Really fella nobody is looking at how strong you are, most people are laughing at you.

What's wrong with trying to increase your 1 rep max? I don't do 1 rep maxes but I can understand that it's important to some people. Not everyone is at the gym to impress other gym goers.
  • BProudOfU
    BProudOfU Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Wow! One of my biggest is people who don't clean the machines when they are done. Our gym has bottles of disinfectant spray and rags. So when you move your sweaty behind off a machine and leave it dripping with your gross stuff you can walk over and pick up the bottle, spray a little and wipe it clean! I clean the machines before and after I use them because I see so many people who don't clean them afterward. Then there are people who "hang out" on a machine...especially those that just started because they ate too much over the holidays. They come in all pumped and ready to workout. Then they hang out with their friends and I'm thinking to myself "Look, I have been here for years now! You need to step it up or step it out! But that's just me...
  • trixirn
    trixirn Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    After reading some of these I have to wonder how some people were raised. In my gym, I have noticed the hoarding of machines while texting/chatting. Old lady swim time is always grand. Nobody makes more of a mess of a locker room than old women out of the pool. They drip water EVERYWHERE. Some must have dirty feet cause you can follow their mud footprints. And they take up a whole bench and refuse to share.
  • trixirn
    trixirn Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    After reading some of these I have to wonder how some people were raised. In my gym, I have noticed the hoarding of machines while texting/chatting. Old lady swim time is always grand. Nobody makes more of a mess of a locker room than old women out of the pool. They drip water EVERYWHERE. Some must have dirty feet cause you can follow their mud footprints. And they take up a whole bench and refuse to share.
  • ckmama
    ckmama Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    Way too many to mention however if I was to narrow it down to my top 3 pet peeves then it would be...

-Reading magazines/books on the cardio machines, c´mon are you really wanting to work out or do you just want to catch up on the latest celeb gossip.

-Other gym members (mainly men) asking how to get bigger, there is no secret to this one. Being a lot bigger than the rest of my regular gym that I train at during the off season i get asked alot weather i´m on the juice or what the secret to getting big is. Really its simple work hard and eat heaps.

-The one rep guy, he really isn´t impressing anyone loading up his bar to attempt a half rep. Really fella nobody is looking at how strong you are, most people are laughing at you.
    I don't worry about other people at the gym. Makes it much more pleasant.

ditto, i mind my business as I want others to mind theirs.
  • nyprdiva
    nyprdiva Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I actually changed gyms twice because of my pet peeves.

I'm a former athlete and really go to the gym to workout. I stopped going to Lucille Roberts because of the women who liked to flirt with the male personal trainers and instructors and the ones who thought the weight machines were the company water cooler and stood there for an hour switching stances every half hour.

After that I went to a bodybuilder's gym. I thought it would be better since the folks here were into their sport. Wrong again. The bodybuilder guys and girls were all about who could do the most reps while grunting harder and louder than Monica Seles. And my fave...the lady who felt the need to talk to me all the time while she was completely naked. She'd freak out the cleaning people who'd always ask if everyone was decent and she'd say yes and then would be in the buff.

At the new gym and there are bench hogs in the locker room. But i try to focus on getting my workout on and leaving.
  • weaverfit
    weaverfit Posts: 124
    Options
    I don't know if it's a pet peeve necessarily, but it always disturbs me when I see people sit down on a weight lifting circuit machine and use crazy bad form, throw the weights essentially - rather than controlling and lifting the weight smoothly, and jump up and look around between sets to see if anyone is watching how massively spectacular they're lifting is. Really!??? I guess I'm just so over the going to the gym for a pick up. I'm there to work, and work sensibly. Not show off.

Oh and what's up with the looks! It's a gym. There's no reason a person can't bust out with some jumping jacks or squat thrusts to pump up the heart rate. It's a gym!
  • ckmama
    ckmama Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    24 hour fitness -
    When people keep farting while I'm on the elliptical and I still have over a half an hour to go... if it smells more than once get out of there!

Also when a personal trainer comes up to me and says I should take my hands off the bars on the tread mill while I'm walking... I have bad balance, leave me alone!

When a personal trainer offers me a free session and then gets mad when I turn it down.
    OMG the old guys and farting kills me every time. It's like seriously take some gas X already.