How long before noticing a pay-off?

Options
I was wondering if anyone out there have any idea about how long it should take before I start to notice a change - weight loss or looser fitting clothes - from my cardio workouts. I've been working out for about 3.5 weeks (less a few days last week) burning anywhere from 250-460 calories 5 days a week. Though I know the benefit is there I haven't noticed any! I've been using My Fitness Pal for exactly one week, follow the calorie recommendations and have been exercising... Have not yet exceeded my required calories and have not been below 1200. Am I just trying to rush it....? Any ideas?

Replies

• mkaguiar
    Options
    I was wondering if anyone out there have any idea about how long it should take before I start to notice a change - weight loss or looser fitting clothes - from my cardio workouts. I've been working out for about 3.5 weeks (less a few days last week) burning anywhere from 250-460 calories 5 days a week. Though I know the benefit is there I haven't noticed any! I've been using My Fitness Pal for exactly one week, follow the calorie recommendations and have been exercising... Have not yet exceeded my required calories and have not been below 1200. Am I just trying to rush it....? Any ideas?
  • elmowoof
    elmowoof Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Do you mean that you are staying under 1200 cals a day? To lose fat, takes a long time. The truth is we only lose about 1-2 pounds of fat a week. Anything else is water loss, etc. I did some research on weight loss. Even 2 lbs a week is considered aggressive--imagine that. I have been tracking what i eat for about three weeks (i think) and have lost about 4-5 lbs. Don't give up.....it is not a fast process
  • glosalinas
    glosalinas Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I agree it takes time to see a real FAT loss. I have been very diligent with exercise (400-600 calories 5X per week) and eating 1200-1400 calories a day ( not using the extra calories earned for exercising) and have lost 4 1/2 pounds in 4 1/2 weeks. I am in my late 40's and need to lose the 25 + pounds I've gained in the past 5 years. I find weight loss is much harder to achieve at my age. Don't weigh yourself too often or you will get discouraged. Several times I hopped on the scale and noticed a slight GAIN even after an exceptionally good day. That is temporary, keep your eye on the long range goal.
  • iamhoff
    iamhoff Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've been at this for one month today, and I'm down almost 9 pounds. As has been stated, early weight loss is mostly water and other "quick" excess for lack of a better term. My weight has been coming off steady at almost 2 lbs/week, which is my goal. I think what has been working for me has not just been net calories, but keeping active during the day. I'm fortunate in that my office is on the 3rd floor of our building, so I take the stairs several times a day. It's not much, but anything to keep the metabolism boosted a bit helps. That and I always try to do something physical at lunch. 45 minutes at the driving range, a half-hour walk around the business complex, whatever. Don't just save up your activity for the end of the day (or the beginning for that matter), but try to get some physical activity in during the day. Smokers in your office? When they go on a smoke break, take a quick stroll around your building. You'd be surprised how effective it can be.
  • glosalinas
    glosalinas Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! Men are usually able to lose weight at a faster rate than women (especially MIDDLE-AGED women). You have a very good point regarding increasing every day activity instead of just waiting for scheduled "workouts".
  • kesl57
    kesl57 Posts: 7
    Options
    I'm totally with you. Also a woman 'of a certain age' and was beginning to believe that we are just programmed to stay 'a certain size'. Then I found this site (have done many diets) and use it to, as I call it, "do the math". Losing weight is calories in vs calories out and a diet is just the means to get you there. I work out at the gym every day to a total of about 3000 calories a week and have dropped my caloric intake by about 4000 calories from what I would need (not including workouts). Total of 7000 calories a week is 2 pounds a week and that is what I have been losing for the last month. Who knew dieting was really a math exercise?
    And yes, activity is everything. I try to walk, take stairs, bike, anything as much as I can - I don't think it helps you lose weight as much as keeps you moving and keeps your muscles going, otherwise your body will just shut down and go into survivor mode. Anyways, so far for me, this is working and I love this site! Good luck to you all.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    If you are following a consistent and balanced program, but not losing weight, and not feeling any changes like clothes fitting differently, it's a good idea to recheck your numbers. Because it means you are in balance. Maybe you are not burning as many calories as you think, or maybe you are taking in more than you think.
  • kel9680
    kel9680 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different, we can all tell you our stories, but honestly the only way for you to know is to keep up with it. it also depends on how much you have to lose, the less you have to lose, the slower it will come off, this site makes it so easy, if I can do this, anyone can do it! its all about portion control, exercise and water!!

i can say that i have been here for 2 months now, i have lost 11 lbs, and am wearing jeans that i havent been able to wear in a few years.

good luck!
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    It took me a good 3 weeks before I saw any changes on the scale. I don't have a lot to lose tho so the process is VEEEERRRRY SLLLLLOOOOOOOOW!!! :grumble:

I have found that the tape measure if my new BFF so I know some progress is being made.
  • sunny2
    sunny2 Posts: 8
    Options
    Don't worry. I workout at least 5x a week. 2x with a trainer and about 3-4x with a girlfriend. We powerride and burn about 500+ calories each time, and I still have not seen much of a decrease in weight, but I have lost inches. My theory is that once all the "jiggles" tighten up, then all the fat will have to fall off. I am also 40+ and know that this is a long term life changing type of goal. I didn't get 30lbs overweight overnight and I can't hope to lose it overnight.