Calorie Burn on MFP?

Options
I am unsure of the elliptical calculations in particular. And walking. I think they are overboard and am scared I'm not going to lose weight if I just follow them, but at the same time, I don't want to overdo anything. I did that when I started and I didn't do well with it...

Anyway, 266 lbs, 5'9" female, I worked out for 45 minutes on the elliptical at speed 3.0mph and it told me 832. My elliptical told me half that amount and every calculator I find online says different things... What should I do? What do others do? Use the MFP Calculations? Use the elliptical?

Thanks!

Replies

• mjok31
    mjok31 Posts: 84
    Options
    I have been wondering the same thing with my eliptical.....I am thinking of investing in a calorie counter that you would wear when you're working out. I don't know much about them but and going to look into it. Then atleast I will have a more for sure idea.
  • SavCal71
    SavCal71 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I use a HRM. I found that MFP overestimates and the machines REALLY overestimate.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    Save your up allowance and buy a heart rate monitor.
  • perdie7
    perdie7 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    The machines at my gym have a heart monitor, and I've been using the calories it says. I'm loosing weight.
  • savage22hp
    savage22hp Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I recently started using a Polar FT7 . I was surprised at how close MFP was on walking compared to the HRM . On the other hand, my Nordic Trac recumbent bike was under valuing the calorie burn compared to the Polar . I decided to use the chest strap HRM during all exercise to maintain consistency and just see how that goes .