ZERO calorie food? Not fat free... calorie free?

Options
Today I was at a health food store and saw a line of salad dressings that were zero calories, I looked some more and noticed they had jellys, marshmallow cream, peanut butter, maple syrup, dips and cream sauces etc... All zero calorie. I have to question something that is zero calories. I wonder if it can even be classified as "food"? I think the brand was Waldens or something to that effect. Has anyone heard of it, tried it, or know if it is safe? Caught my interest, but I am kinda afraid of it.

Replies

• tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    If it's zero calories, it's not real food. Period.
  • crobinson0923
    Options
    i heard a lot of it is gross
  • angryeater
    Options
    i tried it & it was disgusting...thru everything I bought in the dumpster!
  • mandag9008
    mandag9008 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I LOVE WALDONS! its amazing and it taste great!
  • patricia909
    patricia909 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    i bought the peanut butter and it went right to the garbage nasty stuff
  • TiniTurtle
    TiniTurtle Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    tried it & its a waste of $. i bought the thousand island one & it was really salty & liquidy. i ended up using it along with light thousand island dressing so i was having less calories & still the taste.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    If it's lower in calories than it normally is, it's not real food, and your body is not going to benefit from it. Trust me. I don't buy a whole lot of things that are low fat, sugar free, etc. because of this. If it's naturally not that way when it grows (IF it grows), it's not worth it.
  • SHINAS
    SHINAS Posts: 24
    Options
    i thought about tryung them...
  • colinmcp
    colinmcp Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    It seems counter intuitive to me that a 'health food store' would sell such garbage. Its like pharmacies that sell cigarettes.
  • LethaSue
    LethaSue Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I was thinking the same thing.
  • Crystal817
    Crystal817 Posts: 2,021 Member
    Options
    I believe if it has less than 5 calories per seving, you can call it "zero calorie". But in fact it does have calories.
  • mangledspoon
    mangledspoon Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Eww... I bet it doesn't really have zero calories though. Probably just small amounts. But I bet if it actually tasted good, people would just binge like crazy and eat it all, and then it would actually be a few calories.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Never mind questioning if its food.... read the ingredient label... the chemicals, preservatives, alternative sugars and junk they put into it... OH that makes me wanna puke!

Real food, clean food, honest food....thats for me!
  • LethaSue
    LethaSue Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    The label said zero calories
  • Beastiephile
    Options
    The only "real" food I've encountered with zero calories are pickles.
  • AnastasiaVegGIrl
    Options
    Please remember - this **** is overprocessed and toxic. Your body hates it. Try to stay away from too much overprocessed food. You'd be better off eating a dessert with the calories every now and again - it's okay to have some stuff when you want it. But what I feel is that I'm trying here to establish life long eating patterns, with healthy nutritious food. I've done the "low cal" thing before and felt awful and gained the weight right back. So just leave that stuff on the shelf : ). Well, that's my 2 cents anyway...
  • monkeybird5000
    Options
    now if u cant tell whats food or not try this open ur eyes open the lid,cap etc. then try some if it doesn't make u sick or burn ur mouth and it has flavor (good) then it's probably a food
    :smokin:
  • Crystal817
    Crystal817 Posts: 2,021 Member
    Options
    The label said zero calories

http://www.fda.gov/Food/GuidanceComplianceRegulatoryInformation/GuidanceDocuments/FoodLabelingNutrition/FoodLabelingGuide/ucm064911.htm

FDA allows calorie free lable if it is "Less than 5 cal per RACC and per labeled serving".
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    Oh, Walden Farms. I've tried a lot of their stuff in the past. Frankly, I'd rather have a bit of the real thing than that stuff. If it's calorie-free, and it is not just water/coffee/tea, so it's likely all chemicals.

I'm not one of the clean-eating types on here (not knocking them - I'm just not there right now), but this stuff makes me feel uncomfortable. While I do eat lots of pre-packaged foods, I have pretty much decided that if I don't know what's in it (read the ingredient list), then I won't eat it.

It's TOTALLY your choice - I mean, I used it from time to time when dieting with NutriSystem about 6 years ago. I am doing things a lot differently now (normal grocery shopping and lots of exercise) and have never been tempted to eat Walden Farms products.
  • Beckym1205
    Beckym1205 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    The chocolate syrup was ok, and I just got the ranch dressing and it's ok, but not satisfying at all (and super wattery).