Has the term BBW made women feel it's okay to be fat?

Options
I've never heard of a term coined up for guys but have heard plenty of women toss this around when it really isn't beautiful at all?

Replies

• christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    Some people are attracted to that body type, and that's why it's called BBW. I wouldn't say someone isn't beautiful because they're bigger. I don't think it's anything that a person should strive for - we should all strive to become healthier - but it's good the person has self-confidence.
  • PrincessLou71186
    PrincessLou71186 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    This may sound really ignorant but, what does BBW stand for?

I have a couple of guesses but no idea.
  • teaspoon43
    teaspoon43 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I believe it's Big Beautiful Women
  • hollyeverhart
    hollyeverhart Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I don't think as a women being "big" is the thing to shoot for. Healthy yes, Big no.... I'm not quite sure why any guys are attracted to huge women with no concern for their own health. I'm not talking about normal over weight people who don't want to be unhealthy and are trying to change it, I'm taking about women who eat & eat bad food wanting to get fatter and gain weight on purpose. Thats so awful. I saw a 500-600+ women on some show that was saying she wants to get fatter and men pay her online for videos etc.. Soooooo sad!
  • PrincessLou71186
    PrincessLou71186 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I don't think as a women being "big" is the thing to shoot for. Healthy yes, Big no.... I'm not quite sure why any guys are attracted to huge women with no concern for their own health. I'm not talking about normal over weight people who don't want to be unhealthy and are trying to change it, I'm taking about women who eat & eat bad food wanting to get fatter and gain weight on purpose. Thats so awful. I saw a 500-600+ women on some show that was saying she wants to get fatter and men pay her online for videos etc.. Soooooo sad!

I think I saw the same program, was there another woman with a step daughter who went on a morning show with a wedding dress on and labeled "Britain's Biggest Bride"?

Some women are big and are still healthy, some are big through health issues, some are big and want to become smaller, if this is the case then I don't see the issue.

Some women are big through choice, can't be bothered to do anything about it or choose to be big, this is an issue and partly the reason why America and Europe are being labeled as 'Obese countries'.

It's not women alone, men are guilty too.

As a society we need to care more about ourselves. I became bigger (although I am not huge but average) simply because I couldn't be bothered and it's the same reason for a lot of people. If someone referred to me as a BBW I would be mortified and do everything I could to change it. Although, I am doing that now.

If a woman of a larger size considers herself to be beautiful then congrats to her, she has self-esteem and confidence but I still believe she should do everything in her power to slim down and become healthier.
  • LexieSweetheart
    LexieSweetheart Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    I don't think it makes women feel it is okay to be big. I think that you should love your weight at any size! all us bigger ladies shouldn't walk around with our heads down in shame just because we are bigger
  • mrlazy1967
    mrlazy1967 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    BBW fans are called Chubby Chasers
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    Some guys actually like women who are bigger. I had a friend of mine who's first boyfriend only dated bigger women. And we're not talking thicker women with butts. I mean bigger, with fat rolls, and definitely overweight. That was just what he was attracted to.

I don't actually think the term is negative or anything like that. People like a wide variety of bodies, because we're all individuals, and are attracted to different things. Do I think that lifestyle is one that's the best to strive for, just because someone will be attracted to it? No. It's not healthy to define yourself in terms of other people, in any capacity. But I also don't think it's terrible that people are attracted to women like that, or that the term exists. It just reflects the wide variety of individual tastes in the world.