Over 40--Can I Lose Weight?

Options
13»

Replies

• Cocochickdeleted
    Cocochickdeleted Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Hi Kimber,
    I just joined MFP after reading posts on the Fitbit site about syncing the Fitbit with MFP. I am 45, and over the past couple of years, I gained back most, if not all of the weight I had lost about four years ago. It was a slow process, and I knew I wasn't doing myself any favors, but I kept eating badly (and drinking more than my share of alcohol) until my clothes didn't fit anymore. After Thanksgiving, my daughter and I decided to try a vegetarian diet. I started eating healthy and stopped drinking alcohol, but I wasn't exercising with any kind of consistency. After Christmas, hubby and I took a cruise and I decided that I was going to stick to my healthy eating, and I was very successful. I bought the Fitbit after a friend of mine raved about how awesome it is, and it came in the mail yesterday, so that motivates me to get my rear end up and moving. But, before any regular exercise, just by changing my diet, I lost at least nine pounds. I am not sure how much I lost exactly, because after going to the doctor last summer, and seeing the number on the scale, I was afraid to weigh myself. I may have actually gained a few pounds more from July through November.

As far as calorie counting goes, if you have a smart phone, you can download the MFP app and scan the bar codes of many of the foods you eat. It makes it immensely easier to track your calories. I take my phone with me when I make my meals and scan the barcodes as I put the meal together. That way I don't forget anything. I was grossly underestimating the amount of calories in foods, and I think that is a lot of people's downfall.

Anyway, sorry about the novel. I just know that weight loss after 40 CAN be done. Feel free to add me as a friend if you'd like. I would definitely welcome the accountability and we can do this together!
    Tammy
  • snaggly
    snaggly Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I'm 45. Like you, I have about 25 pounds to lose. I started about 3 weeks ago (NY resolution, as usual!!) and have already lost about 8 pounds. My goal is to reach 120lbs (or lower) by beginning March ie, a three month time frame from my start date. I'm hoping to keep the weight off once I reach my ideal weight forever this time round.

If you are finding it hard to lose weight, you should count your cals. You may be eating too much or eating too little. There is no point doing all the workouts if you are not eating right. Try MFP and be firm in your resolution to record all that you are eating.
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    I don't count calories i just cut processed carbs - wheat in particular but also low on other carbs, dont have rice, have potato once a week, no bread. I lost 34lbs since last June and also have underactive thyroid and mobility problems. I think I'm in peri-menopause too as monthlies are getting really erratic and spending 2 weeks of every month with cravings and bloat.. but still managing to lose about 4lb a month.. it maybe slower.. I'd give yourself a longer time to complete your goal.

Good luck!
  • KriscoOil
    KriscoOil Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I will be 41 later this month. Started MFP in August 2011 and have lost 13lbs looking to lose another 16 so I am almost halfway there! Feel free to add me for support!
  • blissmanifesto
    Options
    I am 42 and have lost over 70 lbs, very slowly over the past several years. I just joined MFP last week because I need some help breaking through a plateau I've been stuck on lately. It's totally possible to lose weight after 40! I look at it this way: all the hard work I put in now to improve my health is basically a down payment on a long, happy retirement. Like sleepytexan, I plan to be fit and trim pretty much until I die. But in order to make that happen, I have to do the work now. I only have about 13 lbs to go but it's getting tough now to keep losing. I won't be giving up.
  • jrrflr
    jrrflr Posts: 109
    Options
    I definitely think losing weight at 41 is possible. Counting calories is a lot of work, as you agree, but it gives you a tool that you can use to succeed. It helps you realize what does and doesn't work in adopting a healthier lifestyle. Good luck!
  • vypeters
    vypeters Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Yes. I'll be 50 in March and I've lost 142 lbs so far.

You can do it!
  • gregavila
    gregavila Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    I'm 42 and have drop 21 pounds here following their plan...so I am a believer it works, and do believe that you can lose weight at any age. Really watch what you are eating...be brutally honest in your food logging.
  • garlic7girl
    garlic7girl Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    Yes you can!
  • kodibear123
    kodibear123 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Yes you can! It will be worth working for it!
  • Prozack1964
    Options
    welcome here and I hope you have a great day yes you can lose it
  • inuit
    inuit Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I am 43 and to be honest finding it easier this time. Not so flaky and prone to giving up as when i was when i was younger. It does take total dedication and a reasonable amount of resolve and MFP has been a massive help.

Eat well, get plenty of exercise (I have started running for the first time in my lige, something i thought i would never do) and get plenty of quality sleep. Dont be too strict when you start out and forgive yourself those little mistakes in the early days, it takes time to get intot he swing of it and finding something that works for you.

Started 3 months ago to the day (only found MFP about 4 weeks after i started) and am actually enjoying thinking about what to eat and looking forward to taking the dog out for a run later.

Go for it, sure you can do it.
  • SwankyTomato
    SwankyTomato Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Hi! Today is my first day on My Fitness Pal. I'm 41 and would like to lose at least 25 pounds. I've been working out regularly for several months and haven't lost a pound. I'm so frustrated and want to get past the discouragement I'm feeling. And I need to get past the idea that losing weight after turning 40 is impossible. I'm feeling a little overwhelmed by the idea of counting calories--it seems like a lot of work. But I suppose it will take some work to undue the damage I've done! I'm excited about the supportive community on this site. I can use all the advice and encouragement I can get! Best of luck to everyone!

46 here!

What I did was input everything I ate for 2 weeks and I mean EVERYTHING you eat and drink. Just eat like you normally do.

Then you go back, look at your patterns, see what you can tweak or just need to cut out.

I am still new to this but tracking your food is easy here. Good Luck and you can do it!!!
  • Art63
    Art63 Posts: 87
    Options
    61 here and I've lost almost 30 pounds in six months. That averages out to about a pound a week...just like what is recommended here on MFP. It's been easy. I don't know how come it has been so easy. I weighed close to 210 for fifteen years and never seemed to be able to lose anything. In fact, I had pretty much resigned myself that I would always weigh that.

Somehow, recording every single thing I eat, staying close to my daily calorie intake (according to MFP) and walking 4-5 times a week for about 45 minutes has been enough to lose the weight. It's great. My blood pressure is down, I'm three inches narrower in my waist and I look better.

So, I would say that age has nothing to do with losing weight.
  • welloiledmachine
    welloiledmachine Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. I'm 43 and building muscle. It is hard the older you get, but it's worth it to feel healthy and look good.

You must have a calorie deficit in order to lose weight. Calories in verses calories out. So you either need to cut back on your calories if you aren't exercising or increase your exercise.
  • byrnette
    byrnette Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    42 - trying to lose that sticky 30 to get down to my 39 year old post pregnancies low....3 weeks on MFP and 9 lbs gone and a total reminder that even though I was working out regularly for years, I had completely lost touch with what I was putting in my mouth. Regularly tracking -- your food, your weight, your progress and getting support are clinically proven ways to lose weight and keep it off.

I think it is harder at this age but not impossible!

I am resigned to the fact that I am probably going to be on MFP for the rest of my life...

Good Luck