Help with exercise creativity!!

I live out in the middle of... absolutely nowhere! I need some help with creativity with my exercises. Walking just gets so boring and I can't keep myself motivated! I need some new ideas for work outs for cardio and toning. Just some fun ideas that keep you guys going! Thanks! :happy:

Replies

• Newf77
    Newf77 Posts: 802 Member
    Elementary, Jumping jacks, sit-ups push-ups, body weight squats, skip. Not know exactly what your enviroment is I can not suggets anything such as carring wood after being chopped or chase a cow. Walking can get "boring" try listening to a book or a language recording.
  • Jenn728
    Jenn728 Posts: 683 Member
    Elementary, Jumping jacks, sit-ups push-ups, body weight squats, skip.

These are great ideas.

I bought an exercise mat, a few sets of weight but started out with 5 pound dumbells (I now I have 5, 8, 10 and 15) and a few dvds. I get bored SO EASY so I don't duplicate a workout if I did it the day before. But switching it up is good.

Biking is great too.
  • Lizajane42
    Lizajane42 Posts: 133 Member
    It all depends on what you are interested in.

*Videos may not be "creative," but they can be useful in mixing things up. Sometimes I like to pop in one of my old school videos from back in the day (Claudia Schiffer abs and MTV The Grind Dance Exercise) just to make it more fun!

*I like to use Hal Higdon's race training plans to keep me motivated- having a goal for every day of the week keeps me on track- even if I don't plan to run a race, it keeps me moving!

*Check out sites that show you "on the go" training. There are a lot of ideas for exercising in a small space- you can make these work even if your house is a little cluttery like mine!

*I am a former (still at heart) martial artist- so I always recommend a martial arts class if there are any near you (in the middle of nowhere). If there aren't, you may consider have someone show you how to use a heavy bag and you can put one up fairly inexpensively at home. Kicking and punching are some of the most cathartic exercises ever! Title Boxing seems to be growing as well, so I would keep an eye out for that.

*I say to just mix it up. Plan certain days to walk and others to be some of the ideas you get from people here! Keeping it interesting makes it easier to persist!
  • mallorybriann
    mallorybriann Posts: 1,380 Member
    Is there a stadium around?
    I love running stadiums! The stairs/ramps are an excellent burn!
  • llamalland
    llamalland Posts: 246 Member
    What do you do for fun (or what is your job) in the middle of.... absolutely nowhere? I live in the country, really close to a mid size town, but am not a gym or organized exercise fan. I always think I'm going to walk on my quiet road, but never have. But, I have incorporated walking / lifting / etc into my daily routine caring for my animals. I walk all the way around the pasture (hilly, uneven ground, so it's hard work), instead of taking the short way to the barn. I take bales of hay out one at a time (more handling), instead of several at once w/ the tractor. I dig the holes to transplant shrubs instead of waiting for my husband or son to do it.... since I actually want it to get done! ;-) I challenge myself to do "just 15 minutes" on the exercise bike- or "just during commercials"- and almost always end up doing more. I find it easy to be competitive w/myself, where it's not easy for me to compete with others.

None of this stuff is too exciting, but I am amazed at the satisfaction I get from not taking the easy way out, which is what I've done all my life.

[Obviously the exercise selection on mfp doesn't list many of these things, but I find an exercise that I think replicates the energy expenditure, (I don't have a HRM yet), and make that do....]

Good luck, and you look beautiful in your wedding gown!

add me if you want.
  • All great ideas, I like to alternate between jogging and walking when I go.

Or I do the 20 minutes Zumba Ab express video (You can youtube it). I am not much of a dancer, but I find it very fun!
  • amuhlou
    amuhlou Posts: 693 Member
    My hubby and I created a 'circuit' one time in our (1br) apartment. Something like 5 different stations. Stuff like: 1) pushups for x seconds, 2) pullups for x seconds, 3) squats, 4) crunches/situps, 5) jog up and down the hill right outside the apartment

Doing all 5 stations was one circuit and we did 3 circuits. You can certainly throw different things in there to keep it fresh, like kettlebells, squats, jumping jacks, or free weights. Even just walking up and down steps in your home if you have any.
  • I bought a mini trampoline and found a lot of exercises online and I love working out now because it's so much fun!!! Might want to try this out if you're wanting to try something new
  • basschick
    basschick Posts: 3,502 Member
    I jump rope. It's a great workout!
  • Yasha9
    Yasha9 Posts: 1
    If you like to dance at all, then Zumba is something to look into. You can look for a local class, or, if there isn't one close enough, there are DVDs you can buy.
  • tbloor
    tbloor Posts: 56 Member
    Check out bodyrock.tv. They have tons of high intensity interval workouts that can all be done at home. I am going on vacation next week, so I just copied and pasted some of the interval instructions and printed them out...I don't have an interval timer, so I'm going to just do sets of intervals...use the resources that are online and make them work for you!