need food recommendations for shopping tomorrow asap

Options
hey my name is megan i just got the gastric sleeve a few weeks ago so all my stuff needs to be low cal low carb and high protein!!!! it makes things difficult

i need ur recommendations when it comes to the best protein bars

i found a few protein bars but most have high calories and carbs some i have looked into is luna bars and power crunch bars
help me out or give me more names of items please

second i love the laughing cow wedges! any other recommendations of protein that is cheese or lowfat cheese im not really a cottage cheese eatier or ricotta cheese

thirdly. i need crackers with any cheese i eat thats just how my body has always been! it sucks cuz its the extra calories and carbs. recently i have been having the triscuits with the extra hint of salt which isnt THAT bad! buts its not what i would like any ideas with brands for that i would greatly appreciate it thank you

Replies

• Ral263
    Ral263 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Well first off-- if you are serious about getting healthy, your intake shouldn't be consisting of such processed, high fats foods-- especially since your body is going to only be absorbing a portion of the nutrients that you are intaking.

Instead, try for plain nonfat greek yogurt, egg whites, roasted squash, etc.
  • juganaut
    juganaut Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    it's not difficult at all!!!!!!!!

lean meat and vegetables?! how is that difficult?

forget the gross bars and packaged crap with ingredients that you can't pronounce.

biscuits are **** for you, especially when you eat them with cheese. what are you doing?
  • SalishSea
    SalishSea Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Buy a bag of frozen chicken tenderloins. They are yummy, easy to cook, high protein and lots of good flavors can be added. Try them with a little bit of teriyaki, marinate them. Try them with a little bit olive oil and dry sage, salt in a skillet. Try them with lemon and pepper. Try them with sauteed garlic and top with diced green onions and fresh tomato. So easy, affordable and healthy.
  • avesoriano
    Options
    Dont forget eggs. There is a lot of protein there

I think get away with egg whites.
  • myfriendamy
    myfriendamy Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I agree, avoid the cheeses and crackers :( aim for chicken, fish, egg whites, turkey. right now, with your body not getting all of the nutrients, you want to make sure that every bite you eat is loaded with good stuff.

like the previous poster said, there are SO many things you can do to chicken! eggs too :) a veggie egg white omelette can fill you up and get you the protein and vitamins you need :)
  • Ashleysh22
    Options
    when I need cheese, I buy a pack of low fat pepper jack cheese slices and Keebler Town House - Original Light Buttery Crackers.

6 crackers and 1 slice of cheese (broken into pieces for the crackers) is 160 calories. it's a pretty fantastic snack actually.

also - luna bars are the best.
  • chelso0o
    chelso0o Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I used to have to eat crackers with cheese nonstop. I would sit down with a whole sleeve of saltines and just eat the whole thing. Your taste buds will change, and you will actually crave healthier foods as you get more into this. Don't cut them out all together right now, but do gradually limit them. Substitute crackers with more fiber for saltines, whole wheat for white. Don't do a complete overhaul of your nutrition like other people are suggesting. Baby steps :) baby steps:)
  • chelso0o
    chelso0o Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    OH almost forgot!!!!! WASA thin sesame crackers and laughing cow garlic and herb cheese wedges== heaven!!!!
  • avesoriano
    Options
    I almost forgot- tuna. Tuna and eggs are my staple right now. ( i dont know if i can last it)
  • macx2mommy
    macx2mommy Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    THe protein bars could be a good substitute for when you're stuck, but really should be your back up plan, not your main plan.

Chicken is great. You grill/bbq a whole bunch, slice it up, freeze on a cookie sheet (so they dont come out in one clump, put it in a ziploc. Then it's really easy to heat up the exact amount you want. You can use it for salads, stir fries, etc.

Ground turkey, fish, canned tuna (in water).

Load up on veggies, whatever your favorite is.

Egg whites - I just buy the cartons.
  • mega103
    mega103 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    thank you nd the main reason i am eating so much cheese is cuz i just got outta surgery im still on somwhat pureed food and soft foods i cant eat chicken and stuff like that yet because it will stretch my stomach
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Did the doctor who performed the gastric sleeve surgery not give diet suggestions?? I think I would call the doctor's office and ask this question. Your needs would be very different than those without the sleeve.
  • mega103
    mega103 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    yeah they basically told me to have cheese and soup for the next 6 weeks until jan 25. better than what i had before this all i could have was water and broth for 3 weeks
  • Granby1
    Granby1 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I agree with the wasa crackers....great with laughing ciw cheese