zumba in database?

Options
Took a class tonight (my first!) I was definitely not very coordinated, but I did feel like I got a pretty decent workout. However, I can't seem to figure out a way to enter it. Does anyone have an idea?

Replies

• trixirn
    trixirn Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Aerobics? Dance?
  • Famzav8
    Famzav8 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I always entered it in under dance - but eventually what I did was went out and bought a HRM. On average when I go to a zumba class I burn around 650 calories in an hour - I'm 5'6'' and 165 lbs..... if that gives you an idea? I did love seeing this on my HRM because the level workout you get in zumba definitley depends on how much effort you put into the moves....... I put lots of effort in :) So then I "created" zumba in my own database.... and I enter my calories according to my HRM. (oh and I'm not totally crazy... I didn't go out and buy it just for zumba.... I love to use it running)
  • wantthistowork
    Options
    I always entered it in under dance - but eventually what I did was went out and bought a HRM. On average when I go to a zumba class I burn around 650 calories in an hour - I'm 5'6'' and 165 lbs..... if that gives you an idea? I did love seeing this on my HRM because the level workout you get in zumba definitley depends on how much effort you put into the moves....... I put lots of effort in :) So then I "created" zumba in my own database.... and I enter my calories according to my HRM. (oh and I'm not totally crazy... I didn't go out and buy it just for zumba.... I love to use it running)
  • wantthistowork
    Options
  • wantthistowork
    Options
    Sorry about the multiple quotes-still learning how to format.... That is a lot of calories! Good to know! I am about your same size. I am not exactly skilled at zumba seeing as though it is my first time, but I definitely worked hard and kept moving. I found it pretty fun too, a nice and entertaining change of pace. I should probably buy a HRM-however they intimidate me as I have no idea how to use one! Do you have to stop and take your pulse and look at the machine? Does it just strap to you and calculate itself?
  • wantthistowork
    Options
    Sorry about the multiple quotes-still learning how to format.... That is a lot of calories! Good to know! I am about your same size. I am not exactly skilled at zumba seeing as though it is my first time, but I definitely worked hard and kept moving. I found it pretty fun too, a nice and entertaining change of pace. I should probably buy a HRM-however they intimidate me as I have no idea how to use one! Do you have to stop and take your pulse and look at the machine? Does it just strap to you and calculate itself?
  • appleseeds
    appleseeds Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I found the same results with my HRM between 600-650. I'm 5"2 and 80kg.
    MY HRM (so i assume most) you wear a strap around your chest, tell it to start tracking by pressing a button, press it to stop at then end and hten you can flick through your stats.
  • jgreer0109
    jgreer0109 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I don't have a HRM but I did find a zumba calorie calulator on the web (sorry not sure of the website but I googled it). It has you list your weight, height, and level of intensity (low, moderate, high) and then if figures it for you. I had a friend that used a calulator such as this to find out her calorie burn but when she acually bought a HRM so was burning way more. So its an estimate...at least its not an over estimate.

I'm 5'6", 194 lbs, and had a high intensity workout and burned 785 calories for 60 minutes of zumba.

Hope this helps.
  • Mom2Asa
    Mom2Asa Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I don't have a HRM but I did find a zumba calorie calulator on the web (sorry not sure of the website but I googled it). It has you list your weight, height, and level of intensity (low, moderate, high) and then if figures it for you. I had a friend that used a calulator such as this to find out her calorie burn but when she acually bought a HRM so was burning way more. So its an estimate...at least its not an over estimate.

I'm 5'6", 194 lbs, and had a high intensity workout and burned 785 calories for 60 minutes of zumba.

Hope this helps.

I also found a website ( maybe zumbaburn or zumbacalorieburn or something to that effect----just google it) and used the information given. I always just use the low intensity burn because I don't know for sure and I ould rather under shoot my burn than over.

I am 5'9" and 180 and using the low intensity for a 20 min workout was 186 calories. Even though I had my butt handed to me I don't want to go over borad and end up in a bind thinking I am burning more than I am therefore eating more and I also use the Wii.
  • Famzav8
    Famzav8 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I was a little imtimidated by the thought of the HRM at first too..... but when I got mine I literally sat down and just read the whole little book that came with it. I love using it now - and feel naked if I don't have it during a workout. I love seeing hte calories I'm burning , and seeing if I am working out at an optimal rate for my body. Good luck!!