How do you figure out how much sodium you should have?

Options
I've been searching around the site and I can see that I can get a report for how much I have had, but can't figure out how much I should be having (or not having, is more like it!) Thanks!

Replies

• writer4him
    writer4him Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I've been searching around the site and I can see that I can get a report for how much I have had, but can't figure out how much I should be having (or not having, is more like it!) Thanks!
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    MFP suggests you have 2500 mg of sodium a day. If you add it as one of your columns on food you will see it. If I have that much sodium, i retain water so I generally keep mine a lot lower
  • adopt4
    adopt4 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    You can customize what you show in your food. Go to Food - Settings - and you can pick what nutrients to show.
  • writer4him
    writer4him Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
  • Mars
    Mars Posts: 9
    Options
    Sodium is a necessary evil in the human diet - not enough and we can dehydrate and too much and we can develop high blood pressure and a mess of other complications, including bloat and swelling. What I did was go to an Alternative MD and got my fluids checked! Then I was put on a medical detoxification program to include a liver cleansing and then a supplemental program that fits my personal needs. I recommend visiting an Alternative or Integrative MD for everyone!

This site is useful in determining levels as well: http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/foodnut/09354.html.
    You can find other charts on the internet that have food sodium as well. Good luck!