Resolutionists at the gym?

Replies

• EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    LOL @ everyone trying to look like they're exercise pros by complaining about others.
  • loved1
    loved1 Posts: 206 Member
    Everyone was new at the gym at some point. Along with resolutions, people join gyms in January because many gyms make it a better deal by lowering the cost & reducing or eliminating fees & the colder weather means moving workouts indoor. It's really the responsibility of the gym staff to ensure that classes are not overcrowded (sign-up sheets) and that equipment is being used in accordance with gym rules. I will probably join later in the month because of the deals, it's too cold to be outside & I may take advantage of the childcare. I'll leave in March so that I can hit the streets to train for my spring races.

I have been a little disheartened to see so many threads/blogs on this site about January gym members. It happens every year so the gym staff & regular members should be prepared for it. I would think we would have a better attitude about people starting their journey even if they're not doing it the way we think they should Everyone starts somewhere.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    My gym is also super crowded right now due to the influx of new people... So bad that at peak hours(which is the only time I'm able to go!) there are no machines. Which is why the weight area is much better because not many people venture in there.

I understand about PT's having to help the new ones.. but seriously, it's starting to get redic. They have so many new clients that the old clients get shafted to make way for the new ones... and plus my gym is doing a get fit challenge shortly.. which is going bring even more new PT clients in.

As far as teenagers go... I think they need to go. Last week I was with my PT, and this girl comes up hair down, matching workout clothes, pretty much cooing at my trainer.. Hi Chris! Do you think that my friend could borrow your gloves? and then when he said No, they weren't his, her face pretty much fell as she ran off... and then I hear telling her friends, OMG guys, if you think that was bad, you're really going to hate me now!(and by hate me now, it was like 1 set of ab work before running out of the studio and back to the weight machines to goof around some more) Another teenage client of his, walks up to him and goes Hey, can you hold my locker key? Uh, WTF? Can't you hold your own locker key? What does he look like? Of course he does it.. and I'm pretty much just standing their glaring at her, like seriously? I'm trying to workout with him.. and would appreciate it, if you did not interrupt for stupid things!

Finally as one of the gals who cleans the gym yesterday said "There are so many new people here.. but give it a month. By then, they will be gone, sitting on the couch eating ding dongs!". Made me smile yesterday.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,605 Member
    Insanity!!! But the only thing I'll complain about are the kids (my gym allows 12 year olds in) who are playing on the cardio equipment, tying it up for people who are actually serious about being there! Grrrrr!

You don't think it's important for kids to have access to gym equipment, and build the foundation of a healthy lifestyle for themselves?

You seem to be reading things the way you want a little here. Notice they said 'playing' on the cardio equipment. I assume this means they aren't using it properly which is not only annoying when people want to do so but it's also dangerous.
    Obviously no one is saying kids shouldn't be allowed in the gym. Please try not to put words in peoples... posts

Oh well, pardon me for contributing, and not agreeing with the broad line of whinging generalisation abounding in the thread.... Obviously I completely misread the posters' 'pah, kids? In here? How very dare they!' tone.... Myself, I like to see kids in the gym. It gives me a warm glowing feel. They're certainly not as competent on the machines, but really, who cares? They're out there, exercising and that's good. One person's 'play' is most kids' 'hard work'!

I know, it's really hard when people disagree with you, get in your way at gym, behave in ways you don't think are right.... Life's tough, eh?

Now re-read my post about the 'serious pool user' who massively undermined my father's attempts to regain HIS fitness this morning. And ask me again why I find the tone of this thread more than a bit offensive. That's not 'reading things into' what people are saying or 'putting words' in peoples' mouths. It's asking people to be a BIT tolerant at other people's attempts to regain their fitness.

For most people, getting back into fitness activities is daunting enough, without worrying about whether other gym users will scathingly dismiss them as 'resolutionists' and pray that they all bugger off.

I'll echo emurano's post: "LOL @ everyone trying to look like they're exercise pros by complaining about others."
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,605 Member
    Everyone was new at the gym at some point. Along with resolutions, people join gyms in January because many gyms make it a better deal by lowering the cost & reducing or eliminating fees & the colder weather means moving workouts indoor. It's really the responsibility of the gym staff to ensure that classes are not overcrowded (sign-up sheets) and that equipment is being used in accordance with gym rules. I will probably join later in the month because of the deals, it's too cold to be outside & I may take advantage of the childcare. I'll leave in March so that I can hit the streets to train for my spring races.

I have been a little disheartened to see so many threads/blogs on this site about January gym members. It happens every year so the gym staff & regular members should be prepared for it. I would think we would have a better attitude about people starting their journey even if they're not doing it the way we think they should Everyone starts somewhere.

well said.
  • summer827
    summer827 Posts: 516 Member
    Mine was super busy last Monday and Tuesday, but attendance seems to fall off with each passing day of the week. (It'll be busy again today). I am happy! My gym has a plan for expansion (with a pool!) and more members have to help us toward that goal. It's a little frustrating in some ways, but I can't complain!
  • MelanieAG05
    MelanieAG05 Posts: 359 Member
    So for those of you that are members at a gym, how bad is the resolutionist crowd right now (i.e. those folks who make a new years resolution and join the club). I know from past experience that January is always the busiest month at the club, especially up here in Wisconsin where January's arrival also means weather that is far too cold to be exercising outside. My club in particular is getting extremely busy right now. Part of it is that they're still new (having opened in November) and so they're still signing people up. That coupled with the New Years crowd is really getting crazy.

I'm happy to see the gym doing well and certainly want them to make lots of money so they can stay in business but man it's frustrating to have so many noobies there who simply have no clue about gym etiquette or even how to use a gym in the first place. College girls that come in groups of 2-4 and go from machine to machine doing 2-3 reps before deciding "this machine's too hard" and then giggling and talking for 10 minutes before moving on to something else. College guys who are there just to try and show off to their buddies how much they can bench or curl. One guy tonight was so intent on keeping his muscles flexed at all times while walking around the gym that he literally looked like someone had shoved a telephone pole up his rectum.

How I long for February and March and the inevitable return to sanity at the gym. When all of the novelty wears off, the uncommitted start making excuses to not go to the gym and only those that are truly serious and committed to their fitness show up on a daily basis. I see it every year, I know the end of the insanity will come but right now it's become pretty frustrating.

My Gym (Bannatynes) has a minimum 12 month membership so people tend to think twice before signing up if they are not serious so I dont have this problem. Also, each new member has a gym induction where they are shown how to use all the equipment and given a program which means we don't get loads of people wasting time and space in there. My problem is getting into the weights area as all the regular body building guys hog it all the time :laugh:
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    I always hated January when I was a gym regular. The 3-4 week resolution crowded was an inconvenience for sure.
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Insanity!!! But the only thing I'll complain about are the kids (my gym allows 12 year olds in) who are playing on the cardio equipment, tying it up for people who are actually serious about being there! Grrrrr!

You don't think it's important for kids to have access to gym equipment, and build the foundation of a healthy lifestyle for themselves?
    I think kids should have access to gym equipment, if they're using it properly. A few years ago the only gym membership I could afford was at the local community center's fitness room, which only had four treadmills. I ran a couple times a week over the winter when it was too cold to run outside. Every day a woman came in and used one treadmill to work out, and her son (not old enough to be left home alone, I suppose) took up another treadmill walking at 2mph while hitching up his baggy jeans with one hand and playing on his cell phone with the other hand. That's the sort of thing I take issue with.

As for my current gym, it seems like there are a lot more people in the cardio area right now, and a handful more people in the weights area, but it doesn't seem to have affected my ability to work out so far.
  • djkiwi
    djkiwi Posts: 1
    I used to think the same, now I am one of those people! Maybe things will change in 2012......
  • kristilovescake
    kristilovescake Posts: 669 Member
    I went to the gym at 5:30am this morning and it wasn't bad at all :D

I think the resolutionists are also fans of sleeping in before work ;)
  • 3shirts
    3shirts Posts: 294 Member

You seem to be reading things the way you want a little here. Notice they said 'playing' on the cardio equipment. I assume this means they aren't using it properly which is not only annoying when people want to do so but it's also dangerous.
    Obviously no one is saying kids shouldn't be allowed in the gym. Please try not to put words in peoples... posts

Oh well, pardon me for contributing, and not agreeing with the broad line of whinging generalisation abounding in the thread.... Obviously I completely misread the posters' 'pah, kids? In here? How very dare they!' tone.... Myself, I like to see kids in the gym. It gives me a warm glowing feel. They're certainly not as competent on the machines, but really, who cares? They're out there, exercising and that's good. One person's 'play' is most kids' 'hard work'!

I know, it's really hard when people disagree with you, get in your way at gym, behave in ways you don't think are right.... Life's tough, eh?

Now re-read my post about the 'serious pool user' who massively undermined my father's attempts to regain HIS fitness this morning. And ask me again why I find the tone of this thread more than a bit offensive. That's not 'reading things into' what people are saying or 'putting words' in peoples' mouths. It's asking people to be a BIT tolerant at other people's attempts to regain their fitness.

For most people, getting back into fitness activities is daunting enough, without worrying about whether other gym users will scathingly dismiss them as 'resolutionists' and pray that they all bugger off.

I'll echo emurano's post: "LOL @ everyone trying to look like they're exercise pros by complaining about others."

I do understand your point, I read your post and totally agree that what happened to your father was disgusting. I was simply trying to offer some balance. People are using this thread to vent their frustration at the minority of new members who are not taking it seriously and are tying up equipment or ignoring etiquette. I stress that it is a minority though, I certainly wouldn't look down on someone just because they are new to the gym, in fact, more than "be a BIT tolerant at other people's attempts to regain their fitness" I have a great deal of respect them for taking the difficult step that we have all had to do of getting into regular exercise.

Surely you can understand that trying to do a gym session while, for example, some giggling girls sit on the bike with their feet off the pedals, watching TV and chatting is frustrating.
    I, and I suspect everyone else in this thread, will happily stand and wait for someone who is genuinely working out, new or not.
  • brookepenni
    brookepenni Posts: 787 Member
    Someone said something about how if it was this way all the time then the gym could expand and prepare and that what I agree with. The classes are so big at our gym that you have to line up at the door and once it's too big, too bad - you don't get in, you have to wait for machines and the weights room is chaos as well.

The gym puts on extra classes in January, but unfortunately this means the roster changes weekly, so it throws all of us out who have been working off the same routine for the last 9months are back to square one. And yeah, so we need to replan our schedule around these changing timetables, arrive at the gym 15mins early to queue outside and then you might not get in,.. It's very annoying to say the least, especially when you've left work early to get there.
  • mammakisses
    mammakisses Posts: 604 Member
    I would like to say even though I don't go to a gym, surely you all were new once at a gym.
    How about you try help these people rather than look down on them. You meantioned that some people are looking around lost. HELP THEM! I'm sure that you would feel pretty good if you could use all you knowledge and experience to help someone continue their resolution. It's a daunting experience walking into a gym for the first time, so try make it a less painfully experience for the new members. I have idea what gym etiquette is, neither will they do just explain it to them....

Totally agree!
  • Delicate
    Delicate Posts: 625 Member
    I dont like it, i'm glad they are taking an interest in their health (the serious ones who stay on), however having so many people appear at the classes that are a bit restricted (body pump, weights etc) is a bit annoying!

Their is always a wave of new ones at new year, 10 weeks before holidays, 10 weeks before xmas are the usual times when its a bit 'mental'.

Standing talking during high intensity cardio classes is dangerous for the people talking and the people around them.
  • neversettle
    neversettle Posts: 168 Member
    My gym is beyond packed.
    Its next to impossible to find a parking spot in the TWO lots it has.
    It's next to impossible to get on the equipment you want.
    I do Zumba twice a week. Normally there are about 20 girls in my classes, which is held in a the gymnasium, not a fitness studio.
    Probably 60 women were there last night. I got KICKED by some 18 year old moron flailing around like an idiot cause she couldn't do the moves.

Bring on Feb/March.
    Ughhhhh.
  • alyssamiller77
    alyssamiller77 Posts: 891 Member
    Let me dispell some misunderstandings and outright mis characterizations that have been made about my post here. First, never did I say that all gym noobs lack etiquette or that they're the only ones who practice poor etiquette. I also never said I have a problem with all noobs. Yes I know there are many who join in the early part of the year and are actually serious about making a difference in their lives. I respect people for wanting to improve themselves and getting out to the gym to do it. Sadly however, my experience over the last decade has mirrored that of most, only a small portion of the folks that join a gym are successful, especially those who join as part of a new years resolution. What I don't respect are is people doing this on a whim, putting no real thought into it, making no actual commitment to getting fit, or worst of all those that join a gym thinking it's social hour or just so they can brag to friends about how they joined a gym (and yes I know personally people that fall into all these categories).

I'm not offended or annoyed because the gym is busy. I am frustrated that many of those folks who are taking up room in the gym have no real desire to do what it actually takes to get fit, and it's not because they simply don,t know any better, it's because they don't try to learn. If you don't care enough to make the effort to learn, then please don't bother joining.
  • ginny1214
    ginny1214 Posts: 338
    My gym is SOOOO bad right now! Esp zumba! We went to a full crowded room!
  • I don't care who wants to come to the gym, just wipe down the machines!!!
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    I generally find that it lasts about 6 weeks. I've not been inconvenienced yet, and the group fitness classes that I teach are so much more fun with the influx of bodies. In the weight room, I was in there yesterday at 530 and it was like a ghost town until about 630. I've had to get on one of the crappier treadmills once, but what ever, I only warm up on that bad boy for about 10 minutes. I'm just hoping that more stick with it than give up.