Coffee Question

Options
I drink about 2 cups of coffee a day....as you know it is water with the coffee added so thereforre my question is can this be counted as a water? And then add coffeemate as a side?

Replies

• Coltsman4ever
    Coltsman4ever Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    This is from the Mayo Clinic's website:

Beyond the tap: Other sources of water
    Although it's a great idea to keep water within reach at all times, you don't need to rely only on what you drink to meet your fluid needs. What you eat also provides a significant portion of your fluid needs. On average, food provides about 20 percent of total water intake. For example, many fruits and vegetables, such as watermelon and tomatoes, are 90 percent or more water by weight.

In addition, beverages such as milk and juice are composed mostly of water. Even beer, wine and caffeinated beverages — such as coffee, tea or soda — can contribute, but these should not be a major portion of your daily total fluid intake. Water is still your best bet because it's calorie-free, inexpensive and readily available.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Caffeine is a diuretic....
    I would still want to make sure you have enough hydration to accomodate the diuretic effects of caffeine...
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    If you are drinking decaf coffee, no problem. If you are drinking the good stuff ( I heart my coffee) try to get in a little extra water if you can. If you notice that you have a slight headache, or darker than normal urine, get some extra water down. Any goodies you add to the coffee need to be added to your diary.:drinker:
  • ladybug1951
    ladybug1951 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the tips. I am not using coffee as one of my waters. Decided to err on the side of caution!