C25K advice

Options
hi guys, okay so let me tell you a little about myself..

I weight 141lbs, I'm 5ft 3", size 10 (UK) I have lost 24lbs since i started my journey back in august and I'm pretty proud as you can see my weight loss but now i want to tone up and get rid of my belly.. its strange as its still retty bit but its quite squishy (which isn't sexy at all).

I'm thinking of giving C25K a go as some people suggested i need serious cardio to get more "shaped"

so i want advice.. I've got new running shoes (as i got told they make a huge difference), i've planned my route.. thats about it.

please look at my food diary.. tell me if i'm going wrong anywhere.. and suggestions i don't mind.

I just want to make sure it all works effectively and i want to do everything i can to help it :)

Whoa... essay.

Replies

• ooOOooGravy
    ooOOooGravy Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    First of all great work on the weight loss, you look great. Ok, you have the running trainers and where you are going... all i would suggest is just something to time yourself. I started C25K back in July and did it with only a simple watch; just to know how long my runs and jog were. I used that watch all way through my C25K and it worked brilliant! You can get pod casts and things for a smart phone if you have one, which remind you when to run and walk, but i hear the music can be fairly .... crap! lol Its very rare i run with music on at all, as i prefer to listen to the streets, the people and things going off around me. But thats just me lol Everyone is different and some people find it boring to run with no music on, just mix it up and see what works for you.

I hear woman say get a good sport bar too??? i would know about such things, lol but you may have one already anyway.

Your diet seems good to me, simular to mine i guess, quite high Carbs. I would suggest no food at least an hour before running, 2 would be better. I almost keel over if i havent had at least 2 hours after eating, and i try to have low fiber and fat before a run too, seems to make a difference to me.

btw i completed C25K and now training for a half marathon, and up to 8 mile runs now. It deffinately works if you put the effort it!

Be wared you will get addicted! :) Have fun with it, and happy running.

Please feel free to add me for support :)
  • mickipedia
    mickipedia Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    yeh i have a smart phone and i found a free app that lets me play my own music and also lets me know when to switch between running/walking so i'll be able to keep track.

i tried to get a sports bra but for what they cost i don't think its worth it.

any more advice would be hugely appreciated!!
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    I got a Garmin GPS watch/heart rate monitor. It tells me how long I've run and how far.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Where did you go to get a sports bra? They aren't really expensive at a lot of places..
    We have places here that you can get one for around $10-$25.
  • mickipedia
    Options
    Where did you go to get a sports bra? They aren't really expensive at a lot of places..
    We have places here that you can get one for around $10-$25.

well i live in UK and the ones I've seen are around £25-£30 and i tried one on and jumped up and down and it didn't seem to make a difference, maybe i'll invest if i feel as though i need it. my boobs aren't that big lol
  • hybridscientist
    hybridscientist Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I've just started C25K as well.

Going from how my legs feel, make sure you do some really good stretches before and after, and if you feel like it you can get some extra walking in before you start your 5 minute 'warm up' just to loosen up even further.

Other than that, don't be upset if you find the first day hard. SO many people do, however you'll be surprised at how quickly you progress. Remember, don't stress yourself out about it, if you're struggling there's nothing stopping you from repeating weeks. The important thing is to just get through it!
  • becka63
    becka63 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    yeh i have a smart phone and i found a free app that lets me play my own music and also lets me know when to switch between running/walking so i'll be able to keep track.

I have a very small chest and I tried doing c25k not wearing a sports bra.....BIG mistake! The next day, not only did my chest hurt, but I couldn't lift my arms above my shoulders, so my advice is a good sports bra is defo worth it!
  • bebeschtroumph
    bebeschtroumph Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    (Also in the UK) It depends on the size of your boobs, but I'm not *that* big on top(34C/D), and I find a sports bra absolutely necessary, at least on my longer runs. I don't think it would be too bad on the first few weeks of C25K, but when you get to be running 20 minutes or so straight, you will probably need one. I personally use a Shock Absorber Run, which wasn't cheap, but if you buy it online, you can get it for about £20. I found they fit true to size.
  • MrsMuffinRun
    Options
    Hi I live in UK. Sports Direct, I got a bra for about £8, it was reduced from about £30 I think. They always have deals like that in there and they have a website too. I have just done Day 3 of the first week, feel free to add me. I am bang on the same height and weight as you, so we could compare notes! Though sadly I can't fit into a size 10 which just goes to show everyone's different! I definitely do needs a sports bra so maybe that's why :-} I want to lose somewhere between 7 and 10 pounds, not sure of the right weight for me anymore, I will know when I get there! Two babies and 8 years older since I was last a size 10, it's a different starting point for me!!
  • mummum2
    mummum2 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Definitely need to get a good supporting sports bra! try looking in Sports Direct, assuming you have one near you!

I run at least 3/4 times a week from 3miles to 10.....well done and good luck with your next stage, you'll love running when you get into it! p.s. I run with music, don't like to run without it, helps motivate me, also helps to make the longer runs 'shorter' if you see what I mean.

Add me if you wish, but in any event good luck.
  • LesliePierceRN
    LesliePierceRN Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I know this may sound counter-intuitive, but make sure 55-60% of your diet is carbs.. multigrain, slow burning carbs. You'll need them to fuel your runs, and running will burn down that belly fat in a hurry. I began my journey here with c25k as well, a little over a year ago I couldn't run at all.. then I could run 60 seconds.. then 90.. and within a year of beginning, I ran a half marathon with a finishing time of 2:30. My stomach is the flattest it's been my entire life.
  • Annellefitness
    Options
    For a reasonably priced sports bra, try Decathlon, if you have one near you. they also have a website you can buy from.

Good luck! :)
  • mickipedia
    Options
    yeh i'll try sports direct as theres one around the corner from where i work although i think i'll see how it goes before i get one, as i said i'm not that big on top.

and as for the suggestion on carbs, thanks. any particular foods that work nicely?
  • SamHughes15
    SamHughes15 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I'm half way through my first week of C25K and i'm really enjoying it! I definately agree with the sports bra! I don't know what i would do without mine.

x
  • SamHughes15
    SamHughes15 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    ooo question actually, how fast does everyone run? I'm starting at the gym because of nasty weather and i've got it set to 10.5kph
  • smilebhappy
    smilebhappy Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    bump to read later ;)
  • mary_kate23
    Options
    i'm in the C25k, and my BEST advice is hydration and potassium and protein. I eat bananas and celery at least an hour before a run, and keep up with adequate hydration to prevent dehydration cramps. best of luck!
  • MrsObundles
    MrsObundles Posts: 138 Member
    Options

Oh girl, I know it's hard to pay all that money for the sports bra but you gotta keep the girls anchored down. Trust me, it makes a big difference.
  • rockrosie
    rockrosie Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I did C2 5K last year- starting in March- and have run in 3 races since! I think it's a great program. I repeated a few of the workouts from time to time since I really didn't feel particularly ready to move on.

As for speed (that someone asked) I remind myself on a regular basis that no matter how fast you're going, you're lapping everyone on the couch :-)
  • MrsObundles
    MrsObundles Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I want to lose somewhere between 7 and 10 pounds, not sure of the right weight for me anymore, I will know when I get there! Two babies and 8 years older since I was last a size 10, it's a different starting point for me!!

I like looking at this website to get an idea of goal weight. It has pictures of real women at different weight and heights. It's also good to see how much of a variation is present among individuals.

http://www.mybodygallery.com/search.html?height=5+4&weight=150&pant=any&shirt=any&zphoto=Large&new=1