what to eat/drink aftet the gym

Options
2»

Replies

• Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    It depends on what type of exercise you do, but should have some smal amount of protein along with a natural carbohydrate to replenish your system. Along with lots of water. Stay away from things that come in a can, like the sports drinks, gatorade, etc. They have a lot of sugar and HFCS which add not only empty calories, but nothing that your body really needs. If you have done heavy cardio, then water is fine and something like a turkey sandwich with lettuce or tomato, or your regular dinner of protein, veggies (as carbs) and some water. Your body will thank you. I eat a normal meal after a workout, which usually is a salad with protein (like fish shrimp), or fish and steamed veggies, chicken and veggies, etc.

Amen on this one...
  • chachita7
    chachita7 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    You should have a protein drink within 30 mins of finishing your workout... it will help you recover faster and avoid much of the muscle ache from the workout... you can take the powder in a shaker and just add water at the gym :)

You will only bulk up if you are working out to bulk up... weight lifting for females is more of a lower weight, high repetition, less rest in between sets (almost like a lil cardio session but at a very low pace)
  • lilibean01
    lilibean01 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I agree with the skim milk suggestion. It doesn't have many calories, it has protein, electrolytes, calcium.... Take some in a thermos/water bottle with some ice cubes in it or pre-chilled and you're good to go. If you're aiming for performance such as athletic goals (running races, triathalons, club sports like soccer, looking for muscle gain, etc.) then you should most certainly have protein in your after workout snack/drink so you can repair your muscles. Those training for athletic events & performance usually have tougher workouts & expose their muscles to more strain & micro-tears. Protein is a must to help fix those, along with some carbs. However, if you're just doing cardio as a means to keep a base amount of fitness and/or weight management/loss then you don't need nearly as much protein or carbs.
  • bored4long
    bored4long Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    LOW OR NON-FAT CHOCOLATE MILK

(or something w/ protein) within 30 minutes of workout , then re-hydrate w/ water later at home.

Agreed! studies have shown that Chocolate Milk has the right ratio of carbs and protein for your body to use as a recovery drink. This is what I have immediately after a workout. I wish I had a link to the actual study, but this is where I got the idea for using chocolate milk. I do non-fat milk + ovaltine. yum! http://www.fitbomb.com/2009/11/chocolate-milk-is-good-for-you.html
  • dan428
    dan428 Posts: 14
    Options
    LOW OR NON-FAT CHOCOLATE MILK

(or something w/ protein) within 30 minutes of workout , then re-hydrate w/ water later at home.

I wish I had a link to the actual study, but this is where I got the idea for using chocolate milk. I do non-fat milk + ovaltine. yum! http://www.fitbomb.com/2009/11/chocolate-milk-is-good-for-you.html

You should probably see his follow-up of that post.. http://www.fitbomb.com/2010/10/remember-how-i-used-to-extol-values-of.html
  • bored4long
    bored4long Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input. If you follow the link in his post, you will find overwhelming evidence to support chocolate milk as a recovery drink. He primarily flips on chocolate milk because he went Paleo.

Excerpt from http://feastingonfitness.blogspot.com/2010/10/what-to-drink-part-5-chocolate-milk-for.html
    The conclusions still hold up after additional studies putting them to the test. For example, a subsequent study along the same vein as the first was presented at the 2010 American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) annual meeting. Researchers looked at ten cyclists and included a double-blind, randomized design as well as a placebo control. Their conclusion:
    Chocolate milk provided during recovery can improve subsequent time trial performance in trained cyclists more effectively than an isocaloric CHO [carbohydrate] supplement. This may be due to a faster rate of muscle glycogen resynthesis.
    This is not an isolated case. There have been a multitude of studies researching chocolate milk as a recovery aid. While most still have small sample sizes and are funded by the dairy industry, the consensus is clear: chocolate milk does aid recovery at least as good as the protein-containing, high carbohydrate recovery sports drinks. Need more evidence? Here is some of the recent research (emphasis mine):

Chocolate Milk And Glycogen Replenishment After Endurance Exercise In Moderately Trained Males
    CONCLUSIONS: These findings suggest that ingestion of fat-free chocolate milk following an endurance exercise bout supports glycogen replenishment to a greater extent than a non-nitrogenous, isocaloric beverage. (from 2010)
    Endurance Exercise Tolerance as a Function of Fuel Replacement During Recovery
    CONCLUSION: The high-calorie high-carbohydrate, cocoa containing beverages were more effective recovery aids as compared to low-carbohydrate, fluid replacement beverages and water. (from 2008)
    Effects Of Chocolate Milk Consumption On Leucine Kinetics During Recovery From Endurance Exercise
    CONCLUSIONS: Findings suggest chocolate milk consumption during recovery from a moderate intensity run attenuates whole body protein breakdown compared to a carbohydrate beverage. (from 2010)
    Chocolate Milk Consumption Following Endurance Exercise Affects Skeletal Muscle Protein Fractional Synthetic Rate and Intracellular Signaling
    CONCLUSION: Chocolate milk consumption after an endurance exercise bout enhanced kinetic and translational outcomes of skeletal muscle protein synthesis during recovery. Athletes can consider fat-free chocolate milk as an economic nutritional alternative to other sports nutrition beverages to support post-endurance exercise skeletal muscle repair. (from 2010)
    Effects Of Chocolate Milk Consumption On Markers Of Muscle Recovery During Intensified Soccer Training
    CONCLUSIONS: Post-exercise CM [chocolate milk] consumption provided equal or possibly superior muscle recovery responses to an isocaloric, high-carbohydrate recovery beverage following a four-day period of intensified soccer training. (from 2009)
    Acute Effects Of Chocolate Milk And A Commercial Recovery Beverage On Post-exercise On Muscle Damage And Endurance Cycling Performance
    CONCLUSIONS: These findings indicate no difference between chocolate milk and this commercial beverage as potential recovery aids for cyclists between intense workouts. Comparatively, CHOC is more economical per serving while providing similar benefits in recovery. (from 2009)
    Milk: the New Sports Drink? A Review
    There has been growing interest in the potential use of bovine milk as an exercise beverage, especially during recovery from resistance training and endurance sports. Based on the limited research, milk appears to be an effective post-resistance exercise beverage that results in favourable acute alterations in protein metabolism. Milk consumption acutely increases muscle protein synthesis, leading to an improved net muscle protein balance. Furthermore, when post-exercise milk consumption is combined with resistance training (12 weeks minimum), greater increases in muscle hypertrophy and lean mass have been observed. Although research with milk is limited, there is some evidence to suggest that milk may be an effective post-exercise beverage for endurance activities. Low-fat milk has been shown to be as effective, if not more effective, than commercially available sports drinks as a rehydration beverage. Milk represents a more nutrient dense beverage choice for individuals who partake in strength and endurance activities, compared to traditional sports drinks. Bovine low-fat fluid milk is a safe and effective post exercise beverage for most individuals, except for those who are lactose intolerant. Further research is warranted to better delineate the possible applications and efficacy of bovine milk in the field of sports nutrition. (from 2008)