Losing Weight AND Giving up smoking?

Options
Has anyone ever done this as hard as it is?

Replies

• takehimaway
    takehimaway Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I wanted to so bad for New Years. [I'm poly.] Half the girlfriends smoke, and one of wanted to, but we couldn't do it. There was just some nonsense, and I told her I'd quit when we finished that pack, now we've bought two more packs, and I'm trying to get her to quit with me, but I don't know if she will. We essentially live together, but I think I smoke more than her, then again, I am not with her every waking moment, but when she is home, we smoke together. I would love to quit, but I'm SCARED.
  • jchastie
    Options
    I'm doing it at the moment. 1 week in, lost 1kg and not smoked. Noticed massive fitness improvement in gym as a result, so it's a great motivator. TBH, focussing so hard on the food and fitness bit the smoking has become kinda secondary!
  • suemurphy2010
    Options
    Nope, I quit the smoking first two years ago, and then last year started on the weight. If you're ready to both together you'll do it, just remember to be easy on yourself and treat each day as a fresh start.
  • kpdungan
    Options
    I have! Once I got through the first week, the drastic difference in my breathing while working out was my motivator.
  • 1546mel
    1546mel Posts: 191
    Options
    I am 1 year 2 months from my last cigarette and have lost 50 pounds. It was a HUGE lifestyle change for me that i had to accept. I started both at the same time, the only way I felt that it could be done. I replaced smoking with the gym and also started Weightwatchers which helped to curb my snacking and craving in place of cigarettes. As i tried to snack, i saw the points add up and it ruined my want to snack. it can be done, just accept that it is a challenge :)
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    I've done this! I think it's always going to be hrd to quit whatever you're doing in life but definately is tricky when dieting because you crave food.
    I stocked up on healthy snacks like popping corn, rice cakes, fat free yogurt si I always had something if I needed it. I think the rest is down to your willpower and determination.
    I did use the losing weight as a distraction though nd started planning meals and cooking more to keep me busy.
    The benefits of quitting smoking soon show though, your energy levels and motivation increases! :-)
  • inlikeflynn
    inlikeflynn Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Yes I've done that - and yes the best way is to combine it with exercise and then you feel the benefit. Good luck and all the best!!! :smile:
  • Smokey19
    Smokey19 Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking 2 packs a day in May and started my diet in Sept. It's hard, but worth it.
  • debswebby
    debswebby Posts: 326
    Options
    I've done it. the best thing is being able to breath when you exercise, which means you can do more, which means more weight loss. win/win
  • joakool
    joakool Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Just remember that over-eating causes weight gain, not quitting smoking. Don't "replace" the missing cigarettes with food. Of course there are lots of great reasons to quit, but one of the best motivators is that you will be able to exercise longer and harder. Your breathing will improve withing days after quitting. Don't waste another day on that nasty habit! I've been smoke free for almost a year now and I'm still kicking myself for not doing it sooner.
  • mumof2irl
    Options
    I am going through the same thing - have had one since 4pm yesterday afternoon, initially had decided to go cold turkey but with Starting the gym, healthy eating & not snacking giving up the smoking habit along with everything else was just stressing me out.. BUT I would normally smoke 15-20 per day ( awful I know ) so one cigarette in 19 hours isnt bad in my books & not going to beat myself up about it... There is a programme on in Ireland @ moment called operation transformation & they brought up the whole myth on when you give up smoking you pile on the weight - this DOESNT happen unless you a substituting cigarettes for sugary & fatty foods to compensate nicotine cravings.
  • louisau
    louisau Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Quit smoking 10 months ago and started diet in November. (Partly due to weight gain due to quiting)
    Giving up sweets, crisps and desert was a lot harder than giving up smoking.

At this point I always quote Yoda "Do or do not... there is no try"

Good luck
  • gigiwaterloo
    gigiwaterloo Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Has anyone ever done this as hard as it is?

I quit smoking & drinking & pool league & going to karaoke EVERY week on November 17, 18, 19 & 20 (different dates for each one but yes all the same month & year 2011) I changed my entire lifestyle & quit it all at once. YES it was hard, but I also found I had FINALLY made up my mind & I refused to let ANYTHING stop me...

1--I never smoked in my house
    2--No one in my house smokes
    3--When my friends that DO smoke come over they are respectful
    4--I quit going out for nearly a month (focused on ME)
    5--Joined an AMAZING website (FREE) called quitnet.com (the tips & helpful hints are AMAZING)
    6--Crocheted & watched A LOT of TV
    7--drank lots and lots and lots of water to drown the cravings
    8--started my NEW lifestyle with diet & exercise
    9--got a Wii for Christmas and have BURNED IT UP he he he he

Long & short YOU have to want it FOR YOU! Not for your husband, g/f, wife or kids but for YOU! YOU have to decide to quit and make up your mind that NO ONE or NOTHING is going to get IN YOUR WAY! I lost a few friends along the way & I had to give up a lot of things I loved (league & karoake) but I did it for ME! And one day when I'm stronger I'll go back to league & karaoke but only when I AM READY, not when someone else cons me in to it...

SO GOOD LUCK but YES it CAN be done! I'm 46 days clean & healthy today!!!
  • denitraross
    denitraross Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Although I am not trying to lose right now - met my goal and am on maintenance..I did quit smoking yesterday...One Day Smoke Free - YAY!!....with that being said, I have and probably will be snaking a little more, trying healthier snacks like greek yogurt and baby carrots..but I am using gum and sugar free candy and suckers to keep myselft distracted..so I have decided to go back to only one day off from the gym a week (had been taking 2 days off once I hit maintenance)..for 2 reasons - 1 to keep myself busy and distracted and focus on something else and 2 - to avoid any weight gain from my "grazing"....
  • chell53
    chell53 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Quit 6 years ago (health reasons.....Heart Attack) and it was easy for me. When the doctor tells you "you can continue to smoke and within a year you will back worse then now" well I looked at my husband and daughter and said that is it....I have to much to live for. Now only if my husband would quit.....it stinks!!

Didn't do both at the time.....the weight would come, go come, go......I was yo-yoing, this is hard no matter which way you do, wish you luck....I can say that this site has been very supportive and this gives me the strength to carry on....
  • zlem
    zlem Posts: 92
    Options
    I switched to electronic cigarettes in October, haven't had a real cig since, I already feel a lot better, not coughing like crazy in the mornings anymore, easier to breathe and I didn't put any weight on like I have done on previous attempts to quit smoking.
    Smoking for me was a hand-to-mouth thing as much as nicotine addiction, I still get both - and it tastes 1000 times better lol.

I am slowly dropping my nicotine level, and will eventually ween myself off the e-cig.. baby steps =) Gotta be better than smoking anyway
  • Lady_Chilli
    Lady_Chilli Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Some of your stories are amazing, congratulations with all of your success. I think the hardest part I will find is my OH still smoking. I dont smoke a lot in comparison to some, I can go the whole day only smoking about 3 but in the evening I tend to smoke more, about 4-5 before bed.

The biggest challenge I face is my evenings, I used to eat the majority of the time at night and obviously smoke aswell, I never realised I did until I'm addressing it now. Already this week the need to emotionally eat is driving me crazy but I've stuck to my guns..

I think I need to come up with some distractions at night, maybe choose that time to workout to try and distract me.
  • debswebby
    debswebby Posts: 326
    Options
    Take up a craft hobby that keeps your hands busy. Cross stitching or card making is best because your hands have to be clean all the time
  • muddles100
    muddles100 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I'm on Day 73 smoke free! Yippee! I was so scared, but once I took the first step I was just so excited and proud of the will power that I found that I didn't think I had! I'm finding now that I rarely think about having a cig, and when I do it's just a passing thought that is gone as soon as it's come. I am being very careful not to become complacent though, because although I feel like it's all over now, I know there will probably be hard times ahead.

I'd been off the diet for a while once I quit anyway so I just ate everything and anything to stop me smoking, the most important thing for me at the time was to not smoke and so I concentrated on little else and just got through those first few weeks by hook or by crook! I did put on weight, but I'm back here now and hope that the same amount of willpower will show up for the loosing weight!!