Net Calories

Options
Can anyone tell me.....If I should be eating the extra calories I burn from my daily workouts? I'm concerned about going into starvation mode because out of my 1200 cal I can eat per day, I've only ended up eating 1100, then I've burned 296 cals, so my net cals are 804?? Do I need to eat more, because honestly I feel like I'm eating all the time, and sometimes I'm just not hungry, but I eat anyway. (Which is part of the reason why I need to lose in the first place :tongue: ) Would appreciate some help, Thanks
Jill

Replies

• Jillian
    Jillian Posts: 88
    Options
    Can anyone tell me.....If I should be eating the extra calories I burn from my daily workouts? I'm concerned about going into starvation mode because out of my 1200 cal I can eat per day, I've only ended up eating 1100, then I've burned 296 cals, so my net cals are 804?? Do I need to eat more, because honestly I feel like I'm eating all the time, and sometimes I'm just not hungry, but I eat anyway. (Which is part of the reason why I need to lose in the first place :tongue: ) Would appreciate some help, Thanks
    Jill
  • FatDancer
    FatDancer Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Hi Jill...everyone here will tell you the same thing...you do need to eat the calories so your body doesn't go into starvation mode and store more fat...Songbyrdsweet advises not to fall below a 500 calorie deficit...Razboo had a good idea for getting the extra calories if you have trouble eating much, "a hand full of roasted peanuts"...good luck...I'm sure everyone will be chiming in soon.

Teammate,
    Fat Dancer
  • Jillian
    Options
    The 1200 per day, or add the calories I've burned also? Ex. I've eaten 1200, burned 300...Do I need to eat 300 more calories now?
  • rissa1322
    rissa1322 Posts: 107
    Options
    hi

i always get confused on this too... if u are sopposed to eat 1200 a day.. but burn 300.. u are allowed to eat 1500 total for that day

think of it as a PRIZE for working out:)
  • bob9304
    bob9304 Posts: 87
    Options
    Yea its a net thing 1000 per day needed you burn 300 extra you need 1300. Thank God for this cause when I am jones'n for that little extra I can go walk until I have enough extra:bigsmile:
    Bob
  • Razboo
    Razboo Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    You should be trying for the Net amount.

I see this all the time and the question I have is: if people have trouble even eating the minimum calories, then how can they possibly be needing to lose weight?
  • Jillian
    Options
    Good question. For me I think it was the choices in food, and the amounts per meal I was eating. Before I wouldn't eat breakfast but I would have a 20 oz triple fat-free breve, at lunch I would usually go out to eat, get a huge chicken wrap and a dessert bar or couple of cookies. The when I got home for dinner I would be so hungry from the 6 hours in between meals I would have two helpings of dinner, then some ice cream ( and not a 1/2 cup serving as suggested). Even though I'm fairly active at work, I definetly wasn't at home. So anyway I think its what I was getting my calories from, more fat and carb calories. Thanks for your help.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options

I see this all the time and the question I have is: if people have trouble even eating the minimum calories, then how can they possibly be needing to lose weight?

:laugh: Good point! I certainly didn't hit my highest weight because I wasn't hungry!
  • dulceluva
    dulceluva Posts: 728 Member
    Options

:laugh: Good point! I certainly didn't hit my highest weight because I wasn't hungry!

I know, I decided not to express my opinions last time but I couldn't understand how those people who were having a hard time eating all of their calories and/or only pulled in about 600 calories a day needed to lose weight?

It just didnt make any sense to me.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options

I know, I decided not to express my opinions last time but I couldn't understand how those people who were having a hard time eating all of their calories and/or only pulled in about 600 calories a day needed to lose weight?

It just didnt make any sense to me.

It's a great illustration of just how efficient our metabolisms can be. It will slow and slow and slow until you're producing just enough ATP to get by. Of course you can't do much in the way of activity before problems start to arise, but even then, it'll continue to down-regulate at the expense of muscle mass. Anorexics live off of 100 calories or so a day...the quality of life is poor, but they're still kicking.
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    You want to eat the additional, and a great way to do that if you feel like you can't eat that much is to add peanut butter to an apple or have some almonds or an ounce of cheese. Everyone had good suggestions so we'll leave it at that! :happy:
  • Jillian
    Options
    Thanks alot! I know now that I need to increase my calories. I appreciate the help.