Best Diets for Weight Loss Report

Options
http://health.yahoo.net/articles/weight-loss/photos/best-diets-weight-loss-2012#0

Very interesting reading... Which of these plans have you tried? What were/are your results?

I have tried Jenny Craig, Atkins, South Beach...
Jenny Craig I lost 35 lbs, reached my goal weight, spent a fortune, and am now 100 lbs heaver than I was when I "succeeded"... Obviously didn't learn what I needed to learn. And too much highy processed foods!
Atkins, lost about 13 lbs in a month but had zero energy and could barely drag myself on my walks.
South Beach is an eating lifestyle I really enjoy, and what I fall back on when I find sugars and simple carbs taking over. I have more energy on SB than Atkins.
I am amused that the "experts" think Slim-Fast is good for long-term weight loss and keeping it off.... Anyone out there been able to stick with that and keep the weight off??

I'd like to hear some other opinions out there. I do believe the ONLY true way to succeed is to follow a portion-controlled eating plan that is right for you and to exercise.

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Simply put, diet's don't work. No diet is sustainable. Altering your food choices to more natural foods and eliminating junk food is a better approach. Everyone likes diets as they promise quick losses but in the end, people end up screwing with their metabolism and gaining weight back + more once they get off the diet.
  • JustLindaLou
    JustLindaLou Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Simply put, diet's don't work. No diet is sustainable. Altering your food choices to more natural foods and eliminating junk food is a better approach. Everyone likes diets as they promise quick losses but in the end, people end up screwing with their metabolism and gaining weight back + more once they get off the diet.

Exactly!!!! Especially the screwing up the metabolism part - just makes the next attempt(s) that much harder...
  • kmcgrath1
    kmcgrath1 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I have also tried many, many "diets" over the years. So let's see....

WWs - Did awesome on their "core" program but gained back about 15 lbs and can't seem to lose it on the new one....too complicated for me when it comes to figuring out all the new points.
    Atkins - Tried it many years ago...lost only 10 lbs then went on WWs because I felt sluggish with all the "fat" I was eating.
    Southbeach - Tried it last year and could only stay with it 1 week. It was too difficult for me NOT to eat my fruits and breads. Couldn't sustain it , not even for 2 weeks.
    Slimfast or Medifast - Couldn't do...can't grasp the idea of drinking meals...I need and want food! I want substance NOT liquid.
    Jenny Craig - Actually lost 10 lbs on it but couldn't eat the food. hahahahaha Found out my body doesn't like all that processed foods. So I only ate lunches and counted my calories.

That's when I found MFP! I just keep counting calories! It's easy for me to know what I'm dealing with...plus I like keeping track and seeing how much I burned too, plus seeing how high my sodium is as well as fiber and sugar. It seems so much easier for me to just scan my foods with the bar code on my phone!

My sister tried Atkins and gained all her weight back plus some! She ended up having gastric bypass surgery done and she is doing wonderfully now! The key is now, she learned how and what to eat. So basically even though she had the surgery, she eats well by making good choices, measures her food and exercises! She is doing MFP without logging in. hahahahaha