That old "clean eating" question...

Options
Smuterella
Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
Yes, I know this crops up a lot but I've read loads of old threads on this and am still unsure where to start.

I'd really like some very basic guidance on where to begin with cleaning up my diet and perhaps a list of clean foods...

any suggestions where to start?

Replies

• jennalink807
    jennalink807 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to do this as well, I still have a long ways to go also.

Start with the simple things. I'm still on the track toward clean eating, and its impossible to do a total switch all at once. I started by buying only organic/grass fed/ local meats, and milk from a local dairy farm that is non-homogenized (still pasteurized). I buy my vegetables from the fresh produce and cut/freeze them myself. I get my cheese from the actual cheese section, and buy wedges and blocks to grate myself instead of buying the processed stuff in the bag. I get my bread from the bakery section instead of the bread aisle. (Yes, there are still some preservatives in there, but still better than wonderbread).

I stopped buying prepared meals, and instead look at the kinds of frozen meals you enjoy, and learn how to make them and freeze them in meal-sized portions yourself. I used to buy a lot of frozen pizzas. Now I make up a huge batch of pizza dough and freeze it in individual portions, then roll it out and throw together a pizza whenever I have the craving.

Make a whole bunch of homemade raviolis and freeze them in individual portions to be boiled off whenever you have a pasta craving. Homemade ravioli, while it takes a good bit of time, is one of my FAVORITE things to have in my freezer. Freeze it when its fresh, and straight from the freezer to the plate it takes 4 minutes in a pot of boiling water.

It takes time and effort, but its SO worth it. I feel so much better about what I'm putting into my body, and I know I still have a ways to go, but every step you take is a good one.

Good luck!
  • Smuterella
    Options
    Thanks - well, it seems my main meals are OK, I buy organic and cook for myself every night - the problem is the tea and snacks at work really. And the wine, though am off booze for January. I'll have to learn how to make pizza dough, that sounds like a great idea and an easy way to get lots of veg in.
  • piccolarj
    piccolarj Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    There is a "clean eating group" on here you can join and get lots of helpful info!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Yes, I know this crops up a lot but I've read loads of old threads on this and am still unsure where to start.

I'd really like some very basic guidance on where to begin with cleaning up my diet and perhaps a list of clean foods...

Read and get enlightened

http://www.wannabebig.com/diet-and-nutrition/the-dirt-on-clean-eating/
  • Smuterella
    Options
    ^ I've read it twice and all I'm getting is more confused to be quite honest.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Thanks - well, it seems my main meals are OK, I buy organic and cook for myself every night - the problem is the tea and snacks at work really. And the wine, though am off booze for January. I'll have to learn how to make pizza dough, that sounds like a great idea and an easy way to get lots of veg in.

Tea is "clean". It's a plant and you can even get organic tea. I would think the same is true for wine. You can get organic wine too.
  • LadyKT
    LadyKT Posts: 287 Member
    Options

Read and get enlightened

http://www.wannabebig.com/diet-and-nutrition/the-dirt-on-clean-eating/

So I take it that you're of the bodybuilding kind? (www.wannabebig.com kinda gives it away :tongue: ) So do you agree or disagree with what Tosca Reno's Eat Clean Diet books have to say? ACG, i have to say, you're intriguing and confusing all at the same time! :laugh:
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

So I take it that you're of the bodybuilding kind? (www.wannabebig.com kinda gives it away :tongue: ) So do you agree or disagree with what Tosca Reno's Eat Clean Diet books have to say? ACG, i have to say, you're intriguing and confusing all at the same time! :laugh:

Can't say i've ever read any of her books, but i suppose that the jist is processed foods are evil and do all sorts of bad things to you and to eat all whole foods?
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    ^ I've read it twice and all I'm getting is more confused to be quite honest.

I think why you might be getting confused is because that link is talking about clean and dirty foods along with body compositions.
    If you are using the term clean and dirty foods meaning good and bad foods for your health then this is a little different from the body composition link. Last year in my nutrition class I learned your body does not need sats fats or cholesterol. Foods high in these I would consider "bad" since they can lead to health problems. I mean if you cook a lot using high dense foods such as lard and eat mounds of bacon this can lead to many problems such as high blood pressure, plaque build up in the ateries etc... Good foods or "clean" healthy foods can be foods that are not loaded in these. There was more and now this thread makes me want to re read that chapter in my books just to refresh.

There are nutritionists in here that im sure can offer even more details as they have higher education on this then the 2 nutrition classes I took as nutrition is always interesting to me.
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    A simple way to look at it is to get as close to the way God made it. More of the good stuff that is on the perimeter of the grocery store, less stuff out of a box/bag. Tosca Reno's book is pretty inexpensive and easy to read, but it basically boils down to the concept that the less ingredients a food has, the cleaner it is. Especially if you can pronounce all the ingredients and it's not loaded with preservatives, etc.
    There are different versions of "clean" which is probably why you are getting confused. I personally don't have access to organic fruits and veggies on a regular basis, or strictly grain-fed beef. However, I consider a Little Debbie snack or something similar as mostly off limits on a regular basis.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    I like that Tosca Reno and I've read the article as well. I thought the artical was really good and pretty cut and dry. You can reach your goals whether you eat "clean" or not. I think it's more of a preference. If you prefer the finer things in life, then go buy organic and whole foods. If you don't really care, then don't bother. I splurge on organics and food for life products when my budget allows.

Tosca looks bad@ss for her age. Eating clean 5 days a week and splurging on the other two is what I consider ideal for sanity.
  • LadyKT
    LadyKT Posts: 287 Member
    Options

Can't say i've ever read any of her books, but i suppose that the jist is processed foods are evil and do all sorts of bad things to you and to eat all whole foods?

Ding ding ding. Her husband is Robert Kennedy (some sort of bodybuidling guy....but when I ask some friends of mine who are bb's, they never heard of him). I'm sure from a "health" perspective, that sort of thing is grand. However....i find clean eating boring.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options

Lean meats, whole grains, nuts, low fat dairy and fresh fruits and veggies.
    If man makes it, don't eat it.

That's it.