First Green Smoothie = Success! & blender question

Options
2»

Replies

• KelleFlr
    KelleFlr Posts: 142
    Options
    Try a banana, a handful of greens, about a cup of frozen berries, and water...

...and, haunt Craigslist for a vitamix or blendtec (I've had a vitamix - I now have a blendtec)... beg for one for your birthday. get a second job. Whatever it takes. You'll never be sorry. :drinker:

I agree, used a blender at first and they were more chunkies than smoothies. now have a vita mix. love it
  • darkling_glory
    darkling_glory Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I LOVE my Ninja. I got it at Kohl's for $160 - it comes with the pitcher and the smaller food processor bowl. And if you get a Kohl's coupon in the mail that really knocks the price down. I had a 30% off and a 30$ gift card so I think mine came to like $95! Not bad.

I make salsa, salad dressing, smoothies, sauces, etc... in there. It's fabulous!
  • Jessies_journey
    Jessies_journey Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    My green smoothie = couple handfuls of spinach, apple, 1/4 avacado and 1 cup of coconut water. DELISH!!! Even my 12yo daughter thought it was pretty good :) Going to try with chia seeds next time.
  • ksteb
    ksteb Posts: 8 Member
    Options
  • luckygirl007
    luckygirl007 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Ugh! First green smoothie and NO success!!
    I have a cuisinart blender and I just halved the Dr. Oz green drink recipe and it was a swampy green sludgy mess! It actually didn't taste bad at all but the consistency was hideous. I used a handful of spinach, an apple, half a cuke, ginger, parsley, lemon/ lime juice. Blech- help!

ditch the apple....they have pectin which makes things thick and ichy. I put in 1/2 pear instead, green frozen grapes, 1/2 orange, 1/2 banana (also frozen) and a handful of spinach. It is a Dr. Oz recipe as well but it is a beautiful lime green color and taste sweet and delicious. Add 1 tsp of chia seeds they are filling.
  • ninainMA
    ninainMA Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I've tried this one and it's pretty good..
    5 ozbaby spinich
    1 banana
    1 cup frozen blueberries
    1/2 cup soy, hemp or almond milk
    1/2 pomegranate juice or other unsweetened juice
    1 TBSP of ground flaxseeds

I'm new here so if this is not the proper place to post recipes, sorry. I didn't really look and was reading the posts about the green smoothies.
  • luckygirl007
    luckygirl007 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I'm no help either. Sold on my vitamix It is the one machine in my kitchen that gets used more than the coffee maker. I realize an investment but if you are serious about clean eating this thing makes smoothies the consistency of silk. Like going to smoothie king or one of those other expensive smoothie places.

I make my own soups (poured hot from the blender into the bowl)
    Make mayo fresh
    salad dressings
    low cal ice cream or deserts

comes with an awesome cookbook also!
  • lightstruck1
    lightstruck1 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I love green smoothies. The only blender I can recommend is the Vitamix, which is way out of your price range but it is seriously the best purchase I have ever made.
  • misslissa555
    misslissa555 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I wish I had a vitamixer!!! Where I use to work, a guy would come in trying to sell them and he'd make sooooo much stuff with that thing with no problems! Too bad they're sooo expensive, but they last a long time! He made peanut butter, soup, ice cream, hummus....:noway:

I have an Oyster blender that I bought from Walmart for like $20. I'm gonna kill it soon I feel. It doesn't make hummus like I want it to! It does make smoothies.