Piriformis Syndrome

Options
Does anyone else suffer from this? It's the worst. I used to run and now walking normally can be a challenge. I've been to physio, the chiropractor, an osteotherapist, tried different prescribed pain medicine (NSAIDs), but nothing is helping. I've had X-rays multiple times and it's not sciatica, or anything to do with my spine. I do lots of stretching, I sit on a tennis/golf ball and roll around, I have these "miracle" balls (http://amzn.to/xd2u6h) but nothing is helping. :sad:

I'm only 30 years old and it's my dream to run again without pain. It's so good for stress and really amazing exercise. Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• SavCal71
    SavCal71 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    *raises hand*

I had to take a couple of months off running. I did other exercise (elliptical, arc trainer) instead. I did specific stretches 2-3 a day, sat on a heating pad for a week or so, and then gradually eased back into running.

It seems to be much better now - but I'm starting 1/2 marathon training next week, so we'll see how it goes.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    This can be a pretty difficult symptom to address, as you have found out.

I found this video to be more effective than others. You have probably seen this stretch before, but this guy makes a small but significant emphasis on posture, that I thought made a big difference in the effectiveness of the exercise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qZ517Rw7ME

These are difficult muscles to strengthen. I don't know that there is any one or two that have been shown to be the most effective. I have a number of clients who suffer from various forms of hip and glute pain and I am always looking for new things to try. I would try googling "hip external rotation exercise" and going from there.
  • moondust7
    moondust7 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I've had this, or sciatia. Not sure which it is for me b/c I haven't been to the doctor but what works for me is to ease into working out after a flare up. I walk and do yoga. Eventually you'll be able to add in more cardio. But start slow!!
  • RosieWest8
    RosieWest8 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Anyone have any updates on their Piriformis issues...? Or suggestions that you found particularly helpful....I have fallen victim........

Bump.