Why do I enjoy the sick feeling after I binge???

Options

Replies

• Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    I've decided this morning that there has to be a way to replicate that sick feeling. AND I'm also wondering if it is related to my constipation issue. I think I might be bingeing to get my stomach contents to push the waste out? It's wierd how we don't consciously know why our issues are there, we just try to deal with them.

I don't know if it might have to do with my college days when I had very little to eat, and then went home for a visit - and was finally able to fill up?

Whatever it is, I'm back on track. I had my normal breakfast, no cravings for sweets today, and the scale dropped a pound this morning! I joined THE team with cmriverside, and set a new goal: 30 consecutive days without going over my calorie limit!

I'm READY to see 189 on my scale!!! (I've been waivering around 192-196 for weeks).

Thanks all of you.

(P.S. I'm convinced. The sweets are leaving my house... I'll put them in the teacher's lounge and return in 5 minutes to find them all gone! CMR you made a great point about the mixing fat and carbs with protein. This explains why my protein bars don't cause me to crave more sugar!) You are awesome!!!:bigsmile:
    So glad you're feeling better today. I agree often when we can find the source reason of why we use a certain behavior, that's half the battle right there, at least it seems to work that way for me:drinker:

FC:heart:
  • yellow_pepper
    yellow_pepper Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    In response to the comments on having junk food around so that you (or your kids) don't feel deprived to the point of a binge when they're available ...

Most binges happen at home. Outside of the home, social forces moderate our behavior. And just as you are much less likely to binge at work or at a cocktail party, your kids are much less likely to binge at school. Unless, of course, they hang out with friends who binge together - yet another reason to know who your kids' friends are.
  • stillkristi
    stillkristi Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    Y_P makes a great point. Typically, our self-destructive behaviors do happen at home. And, Brenda, my dear friend - it seems like you are looking for a physical reason for a problem with its roots not in your head, or your gut, but your heart. :heart: For all of us that struggle with our weight, generally, the problem is not physical. For some, yes, thyroid problems, problems metabolizing our food, inability to exercise for a long period of time due to accident or illness, these are physical reasons, but most of us don't fit those catatories, at least initially. We may screw up our metabolism with our yo-yo dieting, we may eat the kinds or quantities of food that mess with our digestive systems - but the root cause of the eating is something else.
  • Brenda_1965
    Brenda_1965 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Kristi!!! Did I see movement on your ticker??? Awesome!

I have a master's degree in counseling with some addiction coursework. I haven't been practicing and I kindof forgot all that... I especially didn't think about it in logical terms as it relates to sugar addiction.

Fitnesschick- I understand what you are saying that the craving will subside in some time when you are patient and wait for it to pass, but when does that cross the line into deprivation? When I get hung up on the 'I can't have it ' thinking, and always waiting it out, I start to think that I will be avoiding it forever.

I just wish I could learn to, so to say, Just have one beer. I can have just one alcoholic beverage, but it would be nice to learn how to limit myself to, say two cookies a week. Are you saying that this can NEVER happen or NEVER be a possibility?

Yeah, I agree. This thread has been pretty helpful!

Brenda
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options

I have a master's degree in counseling with some addiction coursework. I haven't been practicing and I kindof forgot all that... I especially didn't think about it in logical terms as it relates to sugar addiction.

Fitnesschick- I understand what you are saying that the craving will subside in some time when you are patient and wait for it to pass, but when does that cross the line into deprivation? When I get hung up on the 'I can't have it ' thinking, and always waiting it out, I start to think that I will be avoiding it forever.

I just wish I could learn to, so to say, Just have one beer. I can have just one alcoholic beverage, but it would be nice to learn how to limit myself to, say two cookies a week. Are you saying that this can NEVER happen or NEVER be a possibility?

Brenda

for me...I would not think of it as crossing the line into deprivation....what are you being "deprived" of? a substance that damages your body? reverse the thinking into a positive visualization...not having the sugary treat or whatever it is, is a reward to yourself and your body....if you feel you are being deprived, you will soon be able to convince yourself that you now deserve this "treat"...instead of telling yourself that you are being deprived, tell yourself correctly, that you are rewarding yourself by not indulging
  • Brenda_1965
    Options
    [/quote]

for me...I would not think of it as crossing the line into deprivation....what are you being "deprived" of? a substance that damages your body? reverse the thinking into a positive visualization...not having the sugary treat or whatever it is, is a reward to yourself and your body....if you feel you are being deprived, you will soon be able to convince yourself that you now deserve this "treat"...instead of telling yourself that you are being deprived, tell yourself correctly, that you are rewarding yourself by not indulging
    [/quote]

Dave, hmmm..... I have some thinking to do now. Have you always thought about sweets this way? Or were you ever a binger? Thanks for the perspective.
  • Dave198lbs
    Options

[/quote]

Dave, hmmm..... I have some thinking to do now. Have you always thought about sweets this way? Or were you ever a binger? Thanks for the perspective.
    [/quote]

no, I havnt started thinkin of sweets this way until I learned what poison they are to my body. I need my body for the rest of the journey and I do not want to tick it off by giving it something like empty calories that make it work and pump insulin all for a few seconds on my tongue. I have and can binge like a madman and almost be outside myself watching this other person stuffing my face with no control.

But now, I visualize what I want to be and how my body wants to be treated. We ( my body and me) are now a team on a journey towards a clean hard sweaty fun active existence. Cookies have no place. Peanut butter, hummus, apples, oranges, nuts, are our fuel and our treats.
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options

for me...I would not think of it as crossing the line into deprivation....what are you being "deprived" of? a substance that damages your body? reverse the thinking into a positive visualization...not having the sugary treat or whatever it is, is a reward to yourself and your body....if you feel you are being deprived, you will soon be able to convince yourself that you now deserve this "treat"...instead of telling yourself that you are being deprived, tell yourself correctly, that you are rewarding yourself by not indulgingno, I havnt started thinkin of sweets this way until I learned what poison they are to my body. I need my body for the rest of the journey and I do not want to tick it off by giving it something like empty calories that make it work and pump insulin all for a few seconds on my tongue. I have and can binge like a madman and almost be outside myself watching this other person stuffing my face with no control.

But now, I visualize what I want to be and how my body wants to be treated. We ( my body and me) are now a team on a journey towards a clean hard sweaty fun active existence. Cookies have no place. Peanut butter, hummus, apples, oranges, nuts, are our fuel and our treats.
    [/quote]

[/quote]
    :
  • Dave198lbs
    Options
    I havnt seen anyone botherin anyone on this thread and when you quote someone it is only fair to take the whole qoute such as where I said I have binged...you know.sort of a karma rock kind of thing I guess...just my opinion
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    I havnt seen anyone botherin anyone on this thread and when you quote someone it is only fair to take the whole qoute such as where I said I have binged...you know.sort of a karma rock kind of thing I guess...just my opinion
    and we all have one:drinker: regarding quoting...... the quotes were messed up...that was not my doing, I simply pasted quote marks where I thought they belonged... my bad for being human OOPS:noway: Do you ever have anything kind to say? Curious why you feel such a need to always tear down others? It just seems senseless for someone to come onto a board to tear down when most here come for uplifting, knowledge, fitness ideas and sharing and to make changes to our lives. .

As far as all of your comments not being placed on the post I didn't see the rest of your comments as I got a bit confused by the quote deal so I have now put your words back into place .... my bad I didn't realize you were a binger. Sounds like you fit right into this thread then:drinker: Welcome

• LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options

Brenda

Dave I admire your points, and I acknowledge that they are valid. I think the root (for some) is that these urges aren't based in logic, or positive thinking.

I had an addiction, and I have not used that substance in many years, which I celebrate and am proud of. But there is still an evil, illogical, gollum-voice in my head that whispers to me sometimes, tempts me. There is still a sick little place where I fantasize about being able to use and "keep it under control". Logically, in the healthy part of my head, I see these thoughts for being the self-destructive, negative things they are. That doesn't mean I don't still think like this from time to time, and I don't know if there will ever be a time when I am 100% free of those thoughts. I'd like to think so, but I don't know?

Bingeing is not logical. it is not based on sound thinking processes.

that's my 2 cents:flowerforyou:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options

Brenda

Dave I admire your points, and I acknowledge that they are valid. I think the root (for some) is that these urges aren't based in logic, or positive thinking.

I had an addiction, and I have not used that substance in 2 years, which I celebrate and am proud of. But there is still an evil, illogical, gollum-voice in my head that whispers to me sometimes, tempts me. There is still a sick little place where I fantasize about being able to use and "keep it under control". Logically, in the healthy part of my head, I see these thoughts for being the self-destructive, negative things they are. That doesn't mean I don't still think like this from time to time, and I don't know if there will ever be a time when I am 100% free of those thoughts. I'd like to think so, but I don't know?

Bingeing is not logical. it is not based on sound thinking processes.

that's my 2 cents:flowerforyou:
    and I'm very glad you dropped your coins off here with your thoughts... exactly right, binging is NOT a logical thing, I don't know how much of it even is part of our head, I think the process begins in our head and then the behavior urges are so strong we quickly move past the thought process into the behavior.

Congrats on being clean for 2 years Chickie....that's AWESOME!!:drinker: :flowerforyou:

• LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    Thanks!!:blushing:

I don't like to speak a lot about it, I am not the person anymore who did those things, but I felt it applied-
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    Thanks!!:blushing:

I don't like to speak a lot about it, I am not the person anymore who did those things, but I felt it applied-
    :wink: :flowerforyou:
  • Dave198lbs
    Options
    I agree,,,like I said way up above there...when I am on abinge,,,it is like I am watching this other person shoving food in my face...it isnt fun afterwards..beating myself up for days...but there is hope always there is hope
  • Brenda_1965
    Options
    Oh my goodness Dave... Are you testy or WHAT? Excuse me, I made a mistake. I tried and failed... This was my first try at using the quote feature. What harm was done??? Surely you don't think I was trying to misconstrue your statement! Mark me down as a failure in my calorie control as well. I thought this was supposed to be a support forum. So much pressure and chastizing did nothing 4 my psyche. I'm glad I took the trip to town b4 being criticized for improperly quoting you, I might have bought and eaten much more of that poisonous junk than I did. Well today is the absolute worst I have done since beginning 3 months ago. I doubled my calorie alotment. AND I do think I have my answer... I didn't enjoy the sugar on my tongue so much, but NOW my body and heart feel equally miserable. I do believe it is a form of self-mutilation, which is commonly rooted in emotional pain. I won't be posting for awhile.
  • leafylee
    leafylee Posts: 56
    Options
    I don't know why you enjoy it. But it sounds like you need to get that crap out of your cupboard. If it's not available, you can't eat it at 3am. The sooner you stop, the sooner you'll sleep through the night.

And why are you waking up at 3am? Are you suffering from anxiety? That may be the core issue here. Perhaps the feeling of the binge serves to settle your nerves. You might be better off taking melatonin - or some Rx.

I think it's hard, if not impossible, for people who do not suffer from binge eating disorder/compulsive overeating to understand that often when you binge, you are out of control, have no choice and often don't even recollect eating until the next day.

i fully sympathize with you OP, as i also suffer from the disorder, and honestly still find the best feeling in the world to be the feeling of euphoria after a major binge, when my stomach is filled to the hilt and i am warm, flushed and breathe a big satisfying sigh. of course, it only lasts for a minute or two before the remorse, regret and guilt sets it... but it's the few minutes of ecstacy that make it addictive, and so hard to stop.
  • Dave198lbs
    Options
    Oh my goodness Dave... Are you testy or WHAT? Excuse me, I made a mistake. I tried and failed... This was my first try at using the quote feature. What harm was done??? Surely you don't think I was trying to misconstrue your statement! Mark me down as a failure in my calorie control as well. I thought this was supposed to be a support forum. So much pressure and chastizing did nothing 4 my psyche. I'm glad I took the trip to town b4 being criticized for improperly quoting you, I might have bought and eaten much more of that poisonous junk than I did. Well today is the absolute worst I have done since beginning 3 months ago. I doubled my calorie alotment. AND I do think I have my answer... I didn't enjoy the sugar on my tongue so much, but NOW my body and heart feels equally miserable. I do believe it is a form of self-mutilation, which is commonly rooted in low esteem. I won't be posting for awhile.

Iwas talking to FC not you...oh please come on..the whole quotes up there got messed up...I was answering your quesion ..I was not saying that to you Exerciseis free...it was to FC
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    . I'm glad I took the trip to town b4 being criticized for improperly quoting you, I might have bought and eaten much more of that poisonous junk than I did.

I have found that with this and any other site you have to pick and choose what you want to contribute to. First, I don't think most people come on here to insult or put anyone down. As posted in another post when you can't see facial expressions you read into the written word what you may project.

Anyway, I have been following your post since it started and I want to offer some advice and you can do with it what you want. You are, in so many words, admitting that you have a problem with self control when it comes to food, this is something you need to talk to someone about. Whether it be your doctor and over eaters anonymous group or someone you feel safe with you need to start addressing why you are doing this to yourself.

If you think it is a food allergy as you suggested previously, then go to your doctor and a nutritionist for some guidance. constipation can be caused by your binging and therefore you are creating your own issues. The simple statement that you made that you were glad you went to town before you read a response in your post because you may have bought and eaten more poisonous junk says to me that you are allowing the input of others to greatly affect your habits and you need to figure out how to quit that or you may never be where you want to be, mentally, physically or health wise.

As much as I come to this site and enjoy some of the banter internet forums like this are here for general advice and support but ALL advice in this setting should be taken with a grain of salt. It is up to you, as an individual and adult, to educate yourself and find the answers for what is ailing you and posting it can some times make the problem worse when you don't get the reaction or advice you were probably secretly hoping for.

Please continue to come to the site for a buddy system but for medical advice you should truly only seek that from research and the professionals.

Good luck in your endevor and I hope you find help for this problem in a manner that is satisfactory to you and for your health :drinker:
  • Brenda_1965
    Options
    I'm still confused about the whole quote thing.. Somehow I'm not able to see it straight... I still think I am the one who didn't take the whole quote. It had to be me, because I remember it looking funny when I hit reply. My brain is too foggy to figure it out unless I print the posts and look them over. But my printer is out of in,.

Dave - It helps to know that you were not always perfect, and that you have been where I am today. It's just going to take some time and rethinking. I have not always been a binger, and had thought people who binged were plain crazy. I was just thinking that if I could just figure out when it started and why, it could be easier to stop.

Everyone has had such great ideas in this post. I will need to print it at some point and sort it all out.

Brenda

P.S. I've spent my life in counseling and you know how it is. . . friends and coworkers don't want to hear about your successes and failures. They have their own busy lives and other topics of interest.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!