Losing weight by simple calorie counting!

Options
I know! I know! That's what MFP is for. lol However I was wondering if I was the only one this was happening to. What I mean is I still eat anything and everything (white bread, rice, meats etc...) the only difference is that I count all my calories, drink only water, rarely and rarely eat sweets. I tried incorporating more veggies and it hasn't totally worked out but I still try my best to do so. Anyways, the point is I managed to lose 10lbs in 2 months by simply counting calories and i try to make better choices but i don't absolutely limit myself! Has this happened to anybody?

Replies

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I'm a firm believer in not depriving myself and having whatever I want in moderation. I do plan to start cutting out processed foods and start cooking more at home, but the weight I've lost so far has mostly just been calorie counting.
  • ihern6334
    ihern6334 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I'm a firm believer in not depriving myself and having whatever I want in moderation. I do plan to start cutting out processed foods and start cooking more at home, but the weight I've lost so far has mostly just been calorie counting.

Yea. I thought i was the only one. I can't seem to get a hold of anything better except for what I have available to me. Though it's not the best option I just try to control myself and count my calories. I do wish I had more options around though.
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,396 Member
    Options
    Yep, that's me. What I found though was that I made better food choices knowing how many calories and sodium were in things so while I don't deprive myself, I have changed my eating habits quite a bit.
  • ihern6334
    Options
    Yep, that's me. What I found though was that I made better food choices knowing how many calories and sodium were in things so while I don't deprive myself, I have changed my eating habits quite a bit.

Exactly! I though I was the only one! I am currently 160lbs and would like to get down to 130-135.
  • Jenn638
    Jenn638 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    im doing that to, i eat exactly the same foods but in moderation. which i am really happy about. if i wasnt able to eat cheese and tortillas i think i would have already deactivated my account. but should we be trying to eat healthier food? i was reading somewhere that carbs will make it so you cant lose your stomach rolls, but does the intake really matter? or does it just make the results faster?

but i should be eating more veggies, i think for sure if we ate the right things we wouldn't be as hungry and our bodies would be happier. however, i don't really want to eat a cup of spinach, grilled chicken and an avocado every meal.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    My first month or two I lost weight purely with the calorie counting. I wasn't confident and didn't have the energy or motivation yet to workout, so I just counted the calories. Still ate the food I like. I've never given up carbs/sugar/etc, I've simply learned to portion things out correctly. I steadily lost about 2 lbs per week in the beginning just with counting calories. Then I got excited and started exercising (which is awesome b/c then you are allowed to eat more!) and continued to steadily lose weight by just sticking with the plan - counting calories, exercising, and eating back a large part of what I burn working out. It really does work if you are honest and accurate. :-)
  • KatRat416
    KatRat416 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm new here :) I'm excited after reading you're message :) I've been doing weight watchers...from Oct 3 through January 2 I lost 16 pounds. I find that it's easier to keep up with what I eat using this site (and it's free!) than it is to write everything so I'm trying it out. Today is only my second day, but I'm finding that I'm eating WAAAAY less on a good day, than I thought I was. I've put in my breakfast and what I'm having for lunch and dinner and a snack...and well, I'm still almost 800 calories short for the day! I want to make better choices with what I eat (but I love that I can eat anything I want in moderation), but now it's hard...I know I'll be full after my meals....but feel the need to eat those other calories because it CAN'T be healthy to only eay around 600 calories a day! I'm finding myself asking what's not "too" bad that I can eat but will get rid of some of the calories. Anyway...I'm just excited to see that just by calorie counting you can loose weight ;) I'm excited for my weigh in next Tuesday after counting for a week :)
  • emmiexjay
    emmiexjay Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    for me the only exercise i can do is what everyone does every day so i count this (accept the last two days i've been down with the flu and keep throwing up so no exercise at all for me) and i use my iphone to scan up the foods i choose and i'm careful my diets a whole lot better now i know what cals, sodium, sugar and fat are in it! :)
  • MsTeeBoo29
    Options
    I count my calories also but I work out atleast 4 to 5 times a week too but counting calories is definitely the key for me and like you, I don't neccessarily make the most healthy choices but it still work but I don't overdo it.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 Member
    Options
    but should we be trying to eat healthier food? i was reading somewhere that carbs will make it so you cant lose your stomach rolls, but does the intake really matter? or does it just make the results faster?
    I'll take the healthy /wholesome carbs from fruits and veggies over the processed junk that passes for food... chemical laden breads when the best bread has flour, water, salt and maybe a touch of yeast...made at home so you enjoy the smell as much as the eating :)
    "ALL carbs" aren't evil, as "all fat" aren't, pick the healthier options and enjoy.
  • speedyf
    speedyf Posts: 1,571 Member
    Options

but i should be eating more veggies, i think for sure if we ate the right things we wouldn't be as hungry and our bodies would be happier. however, i don't really want to eat a cup of spinach, grilled chicken and an avocado every meal.

I personally have a hard time eat veggies & fruit too; not that I don't like that, but just that I'm not use to eat a lot of those. So what I've been doing, is I take 15 minutes once per week to cut celery, carrots, green pepper & cucumber, and every day, I put a small plate on the counter. Whenever I pass by, I pick a few, without thinking about it. And the first thing I know, the dish is empty. My kids and boyfriend also pick into it during the evening, but that's ok. Everybody's eating more healthy then.
  • timadotcom
    timadotcom Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I have a co-worker who did this through medical weight loss clinic and he lost 40 lbs in like 6 months, without any type of exercise. I prefer to exercise and eat what i want. I'm not strict with my food, i just do not eat anything processed (except for the coffeemate in my coffee) and eat out once in a while. My breakfeast, lunches and dinners are all prepared at home!
  • tinydancer24
    Options
    I started out by counting calories and as the weight has come off, I have figured out ways to incorporate healthier foods into my diet so I can eat more. It has been surprisingly easy to lose 12 lbs so I'm going for 5 more. I still have french fries/pizza and all my favorites, it has just made me think about what I am putting in my body more since now I have to be accountable. Good luck!
  • 1WorkoutAtATime
    Options
    that's great
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 Member
    Options
    You can also make healthier versions of the 'Treats" like pizza, I've been making mine at home on flat-bread / tortilla.. slather on tomato sauce / salsa toss on some meat and chunks of veggie, shred an ounce of cheese and toss it in the oven, its baked not pan-fried / deep dish soaking up oil like some of the ones I formerly enjoyed. Comes out, I get the pizza taste I want and the whole 7" tortilla is 350 calories which is pretty much what a single slice of store bought is at.
    If you're baking the swap of apple sauce on a 1:1 ratio (every cup of oil called for is replaced by a cup of apple sauce) does the same thing for the recipe and cuts the calories from 2000 to 200...
  • ihern6334
    Options
    I'm so glad I wasn't the only one doing things this way. It is a hard process and I thought i was doing it the wrong way. I do try to make smarter choices and look at the label before buying. I still eat anything I want but in a controlled amount and always monitoring my caloric intake. How fun is this? I've never lost weight and didn't feel tired and depressed and frustrated cuz I cut back on a lot of stuff. Now I'm losing weight and I feel great!
  • cici1028
    cici1028 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Portion control/calorie counting was absolutely all that I needed to get started. I started slowly by just tracking what I actually ate... and noticed how quickly the calories added up. (Especially when I was honest about my night snacking.) Then I started counting calories and the pounds started to come off.

After about two months, I started incorporating exercise, mostly the Wii EA Sports Personal Trainer and a daily walk. Then 35 pounds were gone!

I still eat foods that I used to, but I found that being aware of what I put in my body started me thinking about nutrition in general. I still love junk food, but now it is a treat. I've cut out red meat and most chicken now and I'm trying to get more vegetables in. With those choices and a pretty strict yoga regime, I'm down another 15.

I think it makes so much sense to start with reducing your current habits and eating less/moving more rather than drastically shifting your eating habits. I think gradual changes will come as you go along... you'll see results either way but you'll FEEL better when you start making nutritious food choices. (That said, I still like to slam the ice cream whenever I can!)
  • jennabellaxoxo
    jennabellaxoxo Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    yes, I used to only count calories and not worry about nutrition...I was always thin just counting calories...but as I am getting older and more informed I am making small changes daily that are making me not only feel better but look better too!
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    this has happened to probably most people on here.... that's why a lot of us get to where we were - from not counting what we eat and grossly overeating.....
  • jennabellaxoxo
    jennabellaxoxo Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    P.s. you get more food if you make halthy choices...if your calorie goal is 1200 and you eat junk you only get very little food..but if you eat veggies, priteins etc...you will get WAY more AND be full lots longer!!