Is anyone starting the Daniel fast this Sunday?

Options
Hey, I'm doing the Daniel fast with my church and I just wanted to see everybody else that was doing it and find out what foods did you eat for those 21 days? This is my first time doing it.

Replies

• MissDwood
    MissDwood Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Im currently doing the Daniel Fast right now with my church! We are allowed to eat fruits, vegetables, and whole grains!
  • HIITMe
    HIITMe Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    I'm doing it as well... fruit, veggies, beans, unleavened bread ( I've been using Matzo) and whole grains... no dairy, no meat, no seafood.... no artificial sugar...no processed foods

I eat oatmeal for breakfast with a piece of fruit..... lunch has been leftovers from dinner... I usually add either salad greens or shredded lettuce with a lil balsamic vinegar as a side dish...
    I also drink a LOT of water..... herbal teas as well....those Zinger teas taste pretty good with nothing added.
    I've yet to be hungry.... though we've had service at church all this week so by getting home at 10pm, I've hardly had energy to think about snacking
  • mom1520
    mom1520 Posts: 73
    Options
    I'm doing it as well. How's it going for everyone? So far so good for me. I had caffeine and sugar withdrawal the first couple days, but now it's getting better.
  • HIITMe
    Options
    Im not a caffeine addict, I drink decaf and/or herbal hot tea.....I actually didnt the sugar withdrawal I expected.... I didnt eat ANY dinner last night ( got home from church after 10pm..by the time I checked on kids, got things done, I was exhausted and fell asleep.... I woke up at 1am STARVING but too lazy to get up to eat...so I prayed until I fell back asleep

I ate my oatmeal & fruit for breakfast.... Im OK....

I didnt have time to get lunch prepared so I grabbed a bag of raw spinach & shredded lettuce from the fridge... I keep sunflower seeds at my desk.... gonna spritz a lil balsmic vinegar on it & put it all together & call it lunch

my BIG test will be next week when I am PMSing... will be doing a LOT of praying during that time.
  • msmiriam
    msmiriam Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hey there,

I'm actually doing a Daniel fast as well. My pastor asked the church to join him in 40-days of fasting in September. I was a new teacher then, so I opted out. But I am definitely in on this fast! How have your fasts been going? (both physically and spiritually?)
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    That's pretty much my usual diet. Let me know if you need help.

Pam
  • KettyLan
    KettyLan Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    sounds interesting, what does the Daniel fast consist of???
  • HIITMe
    Options
    Hey there,

I'm actually doing a Daniel fast as well. My pastor asked the church to join him in 40-days of fasting in September. I was a new teacher then, so I opted out. But I am definitely in on this fast! How have your fasts been going? (both physically and spiritually?)

Im only doing it for 21 days right now.... on Ash Wednesday I will do another Daniel Fast for 40 days.

I was in church a LOT last week so that helped to keep me spiritually grounded. Ive found keeping a diary is helping me both study & grow. so Ive been writing down related Bible verses and when I get down time that Id usually snack, I pray & refer back to my notes.... then I journal about my feelings

my period started yesterday and I thought Id have a hard time... but so far so good.
    I was told we could have pure fruit juice.... so I went to the farm nearby & got apple cider... only 1 glass so far & that seemed to have handled any potential sugar cravings....
    if I get another, I will make a glass of hot apple cider.
  • HIITMe
    Options
    sounds interesting, what does the Daniel fast consist of???

pretty much fruits, veggies, whole grains....no meat, no seafood, no dairy, no sugar... no yeast..only unleavened bread ( I was surprised that even Ezekial bread has yeast in it)...I'll have to run upstairs for my book to check if Ive forgotten anything
  • ebonyseyesinc
    Options
    I am doing the Daniel Fast as well and I would love some encouragement from you all. I am a consistent faster but with my exercise regimen I am always hungry and now that I work from home.... I just don't want to be snacking all day especially on the wrong things. Please Help!!!
  • tzbuck71
    Options
    I started my Daniel fast Monday. There was a little withdrawal, but I'm much better today. My problem is that I work out with a trainer daily, and I add another cardio session 3 days weekly. My biggest fear is the fast will push my body into starvation mode and I'll plateau. Suggestions?
  • tzbuck71
    Options
    I suggest www.danielfast.com for you to learn what this entails.
  • MsTanya77
    MsTanya77 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Our church started this past Sunday. No meats, breads, sugars, processed foods, no dairy. We can eat fruit, veggies, 100% fruit juice, whole grains. Ours is 21 day fast, ending the day before the Super Bowl.
  • justbecause2014
    justbecause2014 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I did that a few months ago. My favorite things to eat were No butter popcorn, peanut butter on whole grain tortillas, obviously lots of fresh fruits and veggies, tortilla chips(read the ingredients!!!!) and salsa(again read the ingredients, some salsa have random crap in it), black bean burgers...uhm I can't think of anything else. Good Luck!!
  • juicymama08
    juicymama08 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I have 5 days remaining on my 21 day daniel fast, we did the fruits, veggies, whole grains and water....no sugars, dairy, bread, additives or preservatives...... Tofu worked really well, quiona, nuts, groats (very versitile) raisins, natural popcorn, fruits, veggies, beans, vegetable soups, lentil soups, veggie stir fry. TVP is like a dried ground (soy) veggie meat, Chilli, potatoes, Polenta.....You will have to get real creative so you don't get bored. The www.daniel-fast.com, gives you a few recepies that you can play off of too. Really read your lables!! Good luck! :wink:
  • aamon17
    aamon17 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I'm on day 15 of 21 and it's been GREAT! Cravings come and go. But, there is always a remedy. Like most have posted, we are doing: unleavened breads, fruit, veggies, 100% fruit juice, water, whole grains, beans. Excluding: meats, seafood, sugars, yeast, processed foods.

HERE'S THE FUN PART: Got a sugar craving? No problem! Get a box of chopped dates. Grind them up in a food processor until they are the consistency of brown sugar. Store in a sealed container. Then you can use it just like brown sugar! . . .

Want a fruit spread? Take equal parts dried apricots &/or dates and water. Bring to a boil, then simmer until it reduces and the fruit is mushy. Pour it all in the blender/food processor. Blend gently to break it down. VOILA! Apricot/Date Butter! Use it on wheat crackers, Matza, unleavened flat bread, in oatmeal, etc.

I just ate a veggie pizza on a wheat wrap. I brushed the wrap with EVOO, & put the wrap in the oven for a few minutes to firm it up. Remove. Layer fresh tomato puree, oregano, basil, sauteed mushrooms/peppers/onions/garlic. Top with soy Veggie Shredded Cheese. Pop back in the oven until cheese melts. ENJOY!

Where you would use ground beef/turkey, try chopped & sauteed mushrooms! Use it in fresh veggie chili, fajitas, dirty rice (brown), etc.

Take FRESH string beans. Pick off the stems. Boil then in salted water for 15 minutes. Drain the hot water and put the beans in a bath of ICE water to stop the cooking process. Once cool, toss them with generous EVOO, salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, WHATEVER powder! Spread them in even layer on a cookie sheet. Roast in a 400 degree oven until they start to brown. Take em out & prepare to be AMAZED! Eat with a meal, as a snack, however you want.

There is SOOOO much you can do if you use your imagination with the things you're allowed to eat. I'm eatin GOOD! LOL! Spirit is high. And the BONUS? I've lost 16 pounds in 14 days!!!!

Great recipes, guidelines, & arguments (lol) here: http://www.ultimatedanielfast.com/

God be praised & be with you on your fasting journey!
  • HIITMe
    Options
    I started my Daniel fast Monday. There was a little withdrawal, but I'm much better today. My problem is that I work out with a trainer daily, and I add another cardio session 3 days weekly. My biggest fear is the fast will push my body into starvation mode and I'll plateau. Suggestions?

drink your calories...fresh pressed apple cider is what I use to push me over on calories
  • HIITMe
    Options
    Im on day 11...lost 14 pounds so far... I cant believe I got thru my monthly cycle with no cravings and NOW Im starting to get them....

for the 1st week, I didnt even drink juice... I think THAT is what started my sugar cravings...

Last night my family ( husband and kids) had fried chicken for dinner... THAT was really hard to resist but I went into my bedroom to meditate and it was OK....

I'm going to to the Daniel fast again for the entire 40 days of Lenten season... I plan to do the Jillian Michaels 30 day Shred during that time as well...
    hopefully be that both my soul, body and mind will be renewed
  • tashaboo00
    tashaboo00 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I started my fast this past wednesday, I am not doing any tortillas (preservatives) and only drinking water. Ive started to get creative with meals and in place of my usual balsalmic vinegarette I am going to be doing equal parts lemon juice olice oil with herbs or blended strawberry and mandarin oranges. I have made a type of spanish (brown) rice with beans, corn , green chilis, lime and spicy homeade taco seasoning which so far was my favorite. Ive done whole wheat pasta with sauteed mushroom zuchini and dried tomatoes and Ive found a few pasta sauces with no added preservatives. Im always looking for more ideas since im in this for the long run. This is also my first time so I am very excited to see what others are doing. Great post thanks!