Healthy meals that APPEAR to be bad for you!!!!

Options
carriem73
carriem73 Posts: 333 Member
Looking for healthy recipes- BUT- I have to be able to sneak them by my husband (help me out here Kristen and Janet- you know him!). So what do you make for dinner that is low calorie and good for you, but has the appearance that it is dirty and bad for you? :noway:

Replies

• Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    Boil and puree some cauliflower and mix it in with melted cheese and whole grain macaroni. That'll show him! :laugh:
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    wish I knew :( there are pastes and soups where I have tried to add in any number of veggies, and SOMEHOW my guy will have picked them out and set them on the edge of his plate. how does he do that??
  • mamashatzie
    mamashatzie Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Eggs, bacon, and cheesy grits. Sooooo good and low-cal. For the grits, make plain grits with water and add a little margarine and some sharp cheddar cheese.
  • FitMissVicky
    FitMissVicky Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    how about a chili made with ground turkey instead of beef, loaded with veggies and a couple of different kinds of beans? Or baked sweet potato fries?
  • mamashatzie
    mamashatzie Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    wish I knew :( there are pastes and soups where I have tried to add in any number of veggies, and SOMEHOW my guy will have picked them out and set them on the edge of his plate. how does he do that??

I just puree the veggies. Like when I make chili, I'll puree green pepper, celery, onion, carrot, and tomato together, for the tomato base. When I make potato soup, I steam a whole head of cauliflower and puree that with the potatoes; it makes it nice and thick and creamy and cuts down on the calories.
  • shlobiwan
    shlobiwan Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    This is my current doesn't-feel-like-I'm-eating-healthy-but-I-am recipe right now.

In fact, the whole website is filled delicious, full of flavour recipes that just happen to be healthy :)

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/10/crock-pot-asian-pork-with-mushrooms.html
  • carriem73
    carriem73 Posts: 333 Member
    Options

Yep- the husband would totally do that too- and what is even funnier is that my parents have a dog that doesn't like peas and can eat a whole bowl of kibble with meat veggies and rice mixed in, but manages to leave all the peas in the bowl at the end!
  • iHEARTcardiacnurses
    iHEARTcardiacnurses Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    "Fried" chicken: Fiber one cereal ground up with parmesan cheese, garlic powder, onion powder, and italian seasoning. Coat lean chicken in egg white wash, dip in "breading", spray with cooking spray and cook at 400 until cooked through.

(You can use the fiber one breading on anything! I use it for fried pickles, fish, wings, fried broccoli cheese bites!)

Buffalo chicken salad: Throw chicken in a crock pot with a good dose of Tabasco Buffalo sauce (zero calories) for a few hours. Shred it up, put it on a bed of lettuce, toss in some blue cheese and celery and use some of the cooked buffalo sauce, mix with ranch (spray ranch even), and top the salad.

Egg rolls: In a food processor combine cabbage, carrots, onions, with a little bit of soy sauce. You can wrap them in egg roll wrappers or even Buena Vida tortillas (80 calories each). Spray with cooking spray and bake at 450, turning until golden brown.
  • icemaiden17_uk
    icemaiden17_uk Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Bump!!! A million times Bump!!
  • Namaste1983
    Namaste1983 Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Egg rolls: In a food processor combine cabbage, carrots, onions, with a little bit of soy sauce. You can wrap them in egg roll wrappers or even Buena Vida tortillas (80 calories each). Spray with cooking spray and bake at 450, turning until golden brown.
    [/quote]

I CAN HAZ THIS???? OM NOMS NOMS
  • NiciS72
    NiciS72 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    Cooking Light Recipes really don't TASTE like low cal but they are. We've tried 30-40 since November and not had a bad one yet. You can look at them at www.myrecipes.com. Look up whatever his favorite meal is and you'll find a lower calorie version of it. Some of my favorites are:

Herbed Chicken Parmesan http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/herbed-chicken-parmesan-10000000549982/
    Chicken with Olives & Lemons http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/chicken-olives-lemons-50400000118598/
    Flank Steak with Romesco Sauce http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/flank-steak-romesco-sauce-50400000117832/
  • iHEARTcardiacnurses
    iHEARTcardiacnurses Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I CAN HAZ THIS???? OM NOMS NOMS

Uh yes! They're crazy good and they don't taste like tortillas when they're all mega crispy!
  • GreatSetOfBrains
    GreatSetOfBrains Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    This is my current doesn't-feel-like-I'm-eating-healthy-but-I-am recipe right now.

In fact, the whole website is filled delicious, full of flavour recipes that just happen to be healthy :)

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/10/crock-pot-asian-pork-with-mushrooms.html

Love this site :)
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    "Fried" chicken: Fiber one cereal ground up with parmesan cheese, garlic powder, onion powder, and italian seasoning. Coat lean chicken in egg white wash, dip in "breading", spray with cooking spray and cook at 400 until cooked through.

(You can use the fiber one breading on anything! I use it for fried pickles, fish, wings, fried broccoli cheese bites!)

Buffalo chicken salad: Throw chicken in a crock pot with a good dose of Tabasco Buffalo sauce (zero calories) for a few hours. Shred it up, put it on a bed of lettuce, toss in some blue cheese and celery and use some of the cooked buffalo sauce, mix with ranch (spray ranch even), and top the salad.

I've seen the "fried" chicken it looks like it's really fried! Veggie stir frys are really good too =]
  • ThatsNotMine
    ThatsNotMine Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Instead of mashed potatoes, boil a turnip and they pan fry it with onion and garlic. I don't use oil when I do this; its very flavorful and filling!
  • KaraGrr
    KaraGrr Posts: 75 Member
    Options

Good call!!! I made this soup last night and my guy thought it was the best thing ever. Probably because theirs bacon on it...
  • josery1630
    josery1630 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I make parmesan crusted chicken that's really good. I also made Zatarains Crab Cake mix the other night and two crabcakes are only 120 calories (I think).

My friend made the pork carnitas from the Skinny Taste website and said they were fabulous.
  • RyanDanielle5101
    Options
    Just check out skinnytaste.com:) Amazing recipes that look delish but are healthy!!
  • Alexagetsfit
    Alexagetsfit Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    bump.