Going to Europe for vacation!

I am going to Europe (England, Germany, and France) for vacation next week and will be there for 2 weeks. I need to keep my weight loss on track and not balloon. What are some of your ideas for meals/snacks that I can eat there or bring with me while I travel. Thanks!

Replies

• MrsODriscoll
    MrsODriscoll Posts: 127 Member
    I don't know much about food in Germany or France but you'll have no bother eating healthily in the UK, I don't know what you think we eat here lol but you will easily be able to get salads, soups, sandwiches etc. Where in England are you visiting?
  • cydonian
    cydonian Posts: 361 Member
    In England, stay away from the fish and chips, kebabs and greasy foods, haha! I will say that I feel that eating is healthier in Europe as the portions are smaller, and food doesn't contain a lot of the preservatives and high fructose corn syrup/sugar in EVERYTHING like we have here. There's a lot more sandwich options as well. I actually didn't have trouble with gaining over there, I usually lost! Try to walk as much as you can (safely, obviously, don't go wandering London at 3AM alone!) and you'll help to keep your output on track versus your intake. Most of all, have fun!
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    :laugh:

What sort of strange foreign foods do you think we eat in Europe?
  • Not concerned with the food so much being "strange", just more wondering what types of food people travel with/eat there that is healthy. Thanks!
  • amielizabeth1
    amielizabeth1 Posts: 57 Member
    I just returned from 2 weeks in Germany and I gained around 5 pounds. BEWARE of the variety of meats and breads and beer available everywhere. It was really difficult for me to find fruits and vegetables. I also carried granola bars from home around with me to snack on instead of buying delicious pretzels everywhere! In my opinion...the weight gain was worth it. I enjoyed experiencing German food but felt sluggish and tired. Just try everything in moderation- do LOTS of walking- drink your water. Have a great time!
  • taqefu
    taqefu Posts: 13 Member
    For eating out, I'd just apply the same rules as in your home country: You'll probably find salads, lean meat and other healthy options on almost every menu (might be a little harder in 'typical' restaurants aiming at tourists though :-). Portions are generally smaller than in the US, and when you're visiting a restaurant you're not supposed to quickly finish your meal in order to make room for the next party. You can find fresh fruit and granola bars in every grocery store, so that might be your go-to for snacking.

Here in Germany, I'd stay away from Schnitzel, pretzels, beer, sausages and any kind of bread. You'll also find lots of unhealthy pizzas, sandwiches, kebaps everywhere... But then again, you're on vacation and might try at least once :-) 

Have a great trip!
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    I can speak for the UK, and also for some of Europe, as I lived in Luxembourg (nestled between France, Germany and Belgium) for 4 years.

It depends.

We have familiar fast food outlets - burger and pizza places - so I'd treat them the same as you do back home. Supermarkets will have plenty of fresh fruit, cereal bars, etc. as well as their own brand light choice/ healthy meal ready options. Restaurants will usually have something of a grilled meat and salad nature. Steer clear of sauces, and anything deep fried. Just ask, if you're not sure!

Will you be staying in hotels, or catering for yourself?