Breast Self Check Reminder

Options
chrissyh
chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
In August of 2005, I had my normal yearly exam-everything was fine. In November 2005, I found a lump in my breast-I was 34 years old. I wasn't scheduled for a routine mammogram that my insurance paid for, for 6 more years. Had I waited on my normal checkup mammogram I'd be dead! :frown:

It's imperative that we all take a stand for our health. Here's a link where you can get a self check montly reminder sent to your email...

http://www.checkyourboobies.org/index.php?option=com_comprofiler&task=registers

Many local hospitals and TV stations also offer this fee service - you can google it!

:bigsmile:

Replies

• chrissyh
    Options
    In August of 2005, I had my normal yearly exam-everything was fine. In November 2005, I found a lump in my breast-I was 34 years old. I wasn't scheduled for a routine mammogram that my insurance paid for, for 6 more years. Had I waited on my normal checkup mammogram I'd be dead! :frown:

It's imperative that we all take a stand for our health. Here's a link where you can get a self check montly reminder sent to your email...

http://www.checkyourboobies.org/index.php?option=com_comprofiler&task=registers

Many local hospitals and TV stations also offer this fee service - you can google it!

:bigsmile:
  • RachVR6
    RachVR6 Posts: 3,688 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
  • 3babybeans
    3babybeans Posts: 8,268 Member
    Options
    Thank you, Chrissy! The tatas thank you, too! :happy: Glad you didn't wait for that mammogram!
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    Well, this is one way to get Max to come out of the woodworks! :laugh:

Thanks for the reminder Chrissy! :flowerforyou:
  • chrissyh
    Options
    It's easy enough girls :heart: :flowerforyou:
  • 3babybeans
    Options
    When I was in nursing school, my class had to go to a local high school & teach the girls how to do breast self exams..

is Max in here yet?:tongue:

on plastic models. Of COURSE they all played it off like it was a giant joke, but I hope that they learned something to use when they weren't in front of all their friends. :ohwell:
  • TudorRose
    TudorRose Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this. My best friend's mum died of breast cancer and it's so important to check yourself.
  • chrissyh
    Options
    Teaching the high school kids - That's a cool thing-maybe the younger girls hear about it the less likely to think something's stupid about doing it!
  • astarte09
    astarte09 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I am deathly afraid of this because it runs in my family! :flowerforyou:
  • LightenUp_Caro
    LightenUp_Caro Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    A wonderful reminder. My mother found what she thought was a lump....actually was just a swollen insect bite, after seeing the doctor, he found a kiwi sized tumor in her breast.

she's in the middle of chemo now.
    had it not been for the insect bite, she'd be in horrible shape.
  • chrissyh
    Options
    Not everything can be found by self check or mammograms but it sure does help yor chances....

LightenUp-send your mom my love - chemo really stinks but I am still here! Does she have to have radiation next?
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I actually had a Dr. tell me that since I don' t do it often then it didn't matter if I did it at all because I don't know what "normal" feels like for me.

I have implants so that makes it a little difficult also.
  • 3babybeans
    Options
    I actually had a Dr. tell me that since I don' t do it often then it didn't matter if I did it at all because I don't know what "normal" feels like for me.

I have implants so that makes it a little difficult also.

If you start doing it once a month, you'll learn what normal feels like. The breast tissue/glands can change with TOM so doing it the same day every month will give you a better idea about "normal". The implants would make things a little tricky, though. :ohwell:
  • chrissyh
    Options
    You can shift implants to the side a bit-poke around them. I have implants from complete reconstruction and my doctor still manages to poke and prod around them to be sure there's nothing new.

By checking at the same time each month, you will know what normal is for you with or without implants.
  • Manda86
    Manda86 Posts: 1,859 Member
    Options
    First of all, hello from a fellow North Carolinian! I'm guilty of forgetting to self-exam - thanks for the important reminder!

• JasiBella
    JasiBella Posts: 1,168
    Options
    First of all, hello from a fellow North Carolinian! I'm guilty of forgetting to self-exam - thanks for the important reminder!

Tell J to assist:bigsmile:
  • Manda86
    Manda86 Posts: 1,859 Member
    Options

J exams are unreliable - he's too easily distracted :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • JasiBella
    JasiBella Posts: 1,168
    Options

:laugh: :laugh:
  • jojo52610
    jojo52610 Posts: 692 Member
    Options

It really is important so don't forget!