How do you motivate when your sore from earlier workout?

Options
I am 260lbs. now and i want to be 175lbs. oh sorry i lost 7 lbs already but anyway yesterday was my first workout. It was nothing special just a 12 min cardio but i'm extremely sore already. How do you feel motivated after that???

I feel so out of shape and i know i am but as a newly stay at home mom i figured this is the best time plus i get married in a little over a year! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    Think of the prize.
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    Working out eases my soreness usually.
  • Jenene88
    Jenene88 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Just push yourself. If it hurts keep telling yourself it worth it and think of how you can look. May not be able o go as hard but you feel better knowing you workout today
  • MrsKunz
    MrsKunz Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Working out eases my soreness usually.

Shoot i hope this works my kids nap time is my workout time so well see! :wink:
  • MrsKunz
    Options
    Think of the prize.

This is awesome so simple why didnt i think of this really. I gave birth to my first child at 200lbs and that was 10 years ago and now im 53lbs more than that so thats my goal be smaller that birth weights lol
  • imarlett
    imarlett Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    You can try working different muscle groups like get small dumbbells and do upper body moves. Usually, like someone earlier mentioned, once you work out again, the soreness will go away.
  • canadian2ply
    Options
    if you're really sore remember that staying mobile eases the stiffness. Try something a little less intense today. do some lighter yoga or Pilates to stretch out what's tightened up.
  • tangal88
    tangal88 Posts: 689
    Options
    First, know, this too will pass. :)

You eventually do get to the point where you are much less sore.

Though you may still have some soreness when you make changes - upping weight lifted for example. Or increasing a cardio session, or changing to a new routine. You are making some major changes in your body, you are altering tissue, discomfort happens.

Aspirin or tylonal will help for now.

Lots of water to help flush out Lactic Acid Buildup, in sore stiff muscles..

And - surprisingly - working out again, to help push excess fluids from the sore muscles and release pressure. Though you can certainly do a lighter workout today, to stay within your comfort level - but get moving somehow. :)

You will never get to where you want to be - until you move forward and do it.

That means making a commitment, every single day, to do what needs to be done. No its not fun, sometimes it hurts, sometimes its boring - but its things you NEED to do.

Just like brushing your teeth - everyday, you know you need to do it, so you just do.

And each day - is one more step closer to where you want to be.

You may not see the improvement today, tomorrow, or the next day. But you ARE improving! Remember it took more then one day to get where you are now, it will take more then one day to "fix" it.

But thats okay - its part of a life style change, a commitment.

It ALWAYS seems impossible, until its done. Then you look back, and say - WOW Look at me! Look what happened. :) You will not remember the pain then. :)
  • jwalker30
    jwalker30 Posts: 282
    Options
    Change your thought process.

Being sore means your body is adapting and becoming stronger. It means your workout was effective.

I like being sore because it let's me know I'm making progress as opposed to just being stuck in stagnation
  • MrsKunz
    Options
    MFP = motivation!!! love these people
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    I started out at 303.4lbs, on january 1 2011. My first workouts were just cardio too -- 30 minutes of walking on the treadmill and I thought I was going to die, but I just pushed on -- and gradually increased it. Now I can work out for hours and feel good. The first time I got on an elliptical - 5 minutes was my max. Now I can stay on for over an hour.

I am currently 207lbs -- down 96.4lbs - in a year. Just stick with it, it gets easier.

Oh and I always work out when I'm sore -- helps your muscles loosen up .... also, remember to stretch to help prevent & ease soreness.

I still like it when I get sore though - means I'm keeping my body guessing!

And remember - rest days are just as important as workouts so take a day or two off a week! (but it is good to work out when you're sore!)
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I was feeling pretty sore yesterday too, but talked myself out of taking a rest day because I was working different muscle groups. As long as you are still capable of the movements, the soreness won't kill ya :)
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    If you're anything like me, day 2 after the work out is the roughest. My legs are just starting to feel normal after Monday's intense leg work out, but to be honest, I still walked 45 minutes. It took about 20 minutes for my legs to go numb lol and then I walked at a very quick pace. Put epsome salt in your bathtub and make the water as hot as possible. Take 2 advil (they act as an anti-inflamitory), and keep moving your body.
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    First, big time congrats to you for getting started on exercise. Its my opinion that its perfectly okay to work slowly into a consistent exercise routine. There is no need to work out every day. Soreness happens...especially at the beginning, and whenever you do something that affects a new muscle....but its perfectly fine to give your body a chance to rest and recover before doing another workout. Nutrition dictates most of your fat loss...so stay on top of that. Exercise has lots of good benefits (cardio health; a sleeker look; etc.) and I strongly encourage it, but never lose sight of the fact that nutrition is 80% of the process.

I personally enjoy my exercise routine, but I didn't run ramshot into what I'm doing now. I started with some cardio, added resistance training, added HIIT training, increased the intensity of all of this...but the key is that these adds came over time. Remember that this is a lifelong journey. You are not going to achieve results any faster by burning out on exercise early. Remind yourself that its a journey and as long as you are persistent, you will achieve your goals...in time. There is no rush because if you do the journey the right way, there's a much better chance you will stay on track :)

Good luck to you.
  • MrsKunz
    Options
    I started out at 303.4lbs, on january 1 2011. My first workouts were just cardio too -- 30 minutes of walking on the treadmill and I thought I was going to die, but I just pushed on -- and gradually increased it. Now I can work out for hours and feel good. The first time I got on an elliptical - 5 minutes was my max. Now I can stay on for over an hour.

I am currently 207lbs -- down 96.4lbs - in a year. Just stick with it, it gets easier.

Oh and I always work out when I'm sore -- helps your muscles loosen up .... also, remember to stretch to help prevent & ease soreness.

I still like it when I get sore though - means I'm keeping my body guessing!

And remember - rest days are just as important as workouts so take a day or two off a week! (but it is good to work out when you're sore!)
    Your are pure inspiration!!
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    You really have to understand that doing more exercise will help you feel less sore. We can't motivate you, only you can.

Soreness is the victory. I promise.

NOW GO DO IT!
  • Moriarty_697
    Moriarty_697 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends on how sore you are. If it's just some muscle soreness, than do what everyone else has suggested. Some pain is good. I never thought I would ever say that. . .

If it's worse that just a little pain, though, you may want to try something a little less intense for exercise, at least until you start to strengthen. A little bit of pain is good. A lot - especially if it is bad enough to keep you from exercising - is a problem that should be looked into.
  • teagin2002
    teagin2002 Posts: 1,901 Member
    Options
    I know if I don't it will last for ever, if I do workout then it goes away the next day.
  • jdavis193
    jdavis193 Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    It is good to workout the day after when you are really sore. Exercising the day after helps ease the soreness. You can do a light exercise at first and then pump it up.
  • brookeg20
    Options
    Soreness means your muscles are getting stronger!!! Make sure you eat something within 30 mins of finishing your workout. I find eating a banana can really cut down on the muscle soreness. Also, even going for a short walk when you are sore will help the blood flow increase and will decrease your soreness.

There is a great, short article on web md about muscle soreness after a workout. Here is a link to it. Keep it up, and it will certainly get better.

http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/guide/sore-muscles-keep-exercising