Stop hating on people at the gym! *RANT*

Options
13»

Replies

• annabanana05
    Options
    I have heard entirely too many people pissing on the "new years resolvers" at the gym. Shut the hell up! If anything you should be supportive because you all know how hard it is to lose weight and how hard it is to start off in the gym, worrying about people judging you! You are not all high and mighty because you decided to change your life some other day than January 1st.

How do you know they didn't transfer gyms? How do you know they don't have a home gym and joined for classes? How do you know they didn't just decide to go to the gym after months of weight loss and dieting to refine their results? How do you know they haven't reached their goal and are just there to tone?

You are in the gym, they are in the gym, and you're both there with the same purpose. Keep your thoughts to your damn self and do that you're there to do.

New Years Resolvers are, by definition, people who sat on the *kitten* for the last forever and suddenly have up and decided they want to lose weight. 99% of them have no idea how to accomplish this, at the dinner table or at the gym. They often wander around aimlessly, spend more time screwing around/playing with their phones/whatever than they do actually lifting and wouldn't know a good routine if it fell on their foot.

They didn't transfer gyms. They don't have a home gym (at least not one they use), they aren't refining their results. They haven't reached anything and aren't there to tone ("tone" is a stupid word, btw).

If a person comes to the gym as a new years resolution instead of talking about them or complaining they are on your machine why not help them. That is one reason I HATE going to a gym because I feel as if everyone is jumping to conclusions or staring you down as if you don't know what your doing!! Who cares if a gym if crowded the first few months of the year at least that's more people trying to work towards their goal!!
  • DaniellePF
    DaniellePF Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    In a perfect world, everyone at the gym would stop judging each other and just be respectful of those around them....but unfortunately--not the way it is.

I go to the gym and focus on myself and my goals (as a mother, it is my ONLY time to do something for me). I could care less about what anyone else is doing.
  • RahBuhBuh
    RahBuhBuh Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    I'll "hate" on anyone who doesn't have the courtesy to observe their surroundings and adapt. I don't give a care if they know how to use the equipment. In fact, I enjoy showing people how. I do however, finding it as annoying as can be when people are clueless enough to do stretches in front the drinking fountain so that you can't get to it. Or, if they hang up their wet swimsuit on the coat rack so that it drips on the floor when there is plenty of space in the locker rooms.

Applause goes to anyone who wants to get in shape. But weren't we supposed to learn manners and courtesy in 1st grade?
  • Steven
    Steven Posts: 593 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Folks,

I understand feelings run high on this topic. But that's not an excuse to insult each other.

I've just spent about 20 minutes cleaning up this thread, and I'm going to leave it locked now, to prevent further outbreaks.

Please make every effort to be respectful of one another in your debates in the future. Making it personal is contrary to the MyFitnessPal guidelines ( http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines ).

Your cooperation is greatly appreciated.

Steven
    MyFitnessPal Staff
This discussion has been closed.