Calorie Allowances for Exercise

Options
Hello!

I'm brand-spankin' new, so if this has already been discussed, please don't dogpile me! I looked through the most current page of threads and couldn't find it.

Exercise calories seem to be higher than I would expect for some activities. How are these calculated, please?

I am working around 1200 calories per day and even though I rode my recumbent bike moderately (between 10-12 mph) for a half hour yesterday, I have a hard time believing I burned 300+ cals!

Thanks!

Replies

• tmm01
    tmm01 Posts: 137
    Options
    calories used are based on your weight, so will be different for everyone. I know some of the exercise cals sound a lot, and quite possibly they are. However since joing mfp (Sept 2011) I have used these calculations and have lost at a good rate. On 1200cals a day, which will be below your BMR I allow myself these high exercise cals. It then ensures you don't under eat. i'm currently on a month of 1000cals, so will accept the high calculations.

All the best on your journey.
  • futuresize8
    futuresize8 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Thanks, tmm01! Good luck to you, too! :smile:
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Some of them do feel high. I can tell the difference between a 300 and 400 calorie workout (I think lol), so if the calories burned don't feel right, I'll adjust the time. I also take into account how much effort I put in throughout the entire workout. If there were minutes here and there where I wasn't working at the same level, I adjust for that too.
  • mo_is_here
    Options
    That's why I think it's best to invest in a HRM. You can find them on Ebay or Amazon fro approx $50. This way you'll know for sure how many calories you're actually burning. I have a Polar F4 and love it.
  • akjmart2002
    akjmart2002 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    HRM HRM HRM HRM.

Don't trust the online calculators. They use generic estimates for your metrics, all of which are crucial to actually understanding your caloric output.

Folks really like Polar models - I use the FT7 myself and really like it. I'm considering getting the FT40 so as to incorporate my measured V02Max, and thus make my measurements that more accurate.
  • futuresize8
    Options
    Thank you, BrendaLee and mo_is_here. There is a HRM on my recumbent bike (with the hand sensor thingies), but I don't have to key my weight in, so I can't imagine it's correct, either.

My sis-in-law said that most machines are calibrated for a 150 lb person. The monitor tells me that I've burned somewhere around 120 - 150 cals in that half hour and I've estimated that is probably about right.

That is why I was shocked to see the 300 cal number...whoa!

Also, I'm not really planning to count all of my exercise calories, though I know the pitfalls to not eating enough. I suspect (from reading a recent article in the NYT) that my metabolism is a good bit slower than average, and I know I have to work a little harder to loose the chunk.

But I'm EXCITED! It's been three days of logging food, and I know it's not my imagination...I "feel" leaner. I mean I know I'm not, but I feel lighter and leaner and more confident just by taking control and committing to this.
  • futuresize8
    Options
    Thanks akjmart2002!
  • akjmart2002
    akjmart2002 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Thanks akjmart2002!

You're welcome. Enjoy the journey!