How do you cook lentils?

Options
2»

Replies

• maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite recipes, Slap and Pinch (weird name, i know)

http://www.fatfreevegan.com/beans/slap.shtml
  • caramia311
    caramia311 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Very easy to cook. This is one of my go-to winter recipes!

Soak the lentils overnight (one standard bag or around 16 oz.)
    After the lentils are done soaking remove excess water
    Saute chopped white onions and carrots and/or celery with 3 tbsp of olive oil.
    Saute until the onions are translucent.
    Add lentils, 2 tbsp tomato paste (canned), and cover with water (ideally the water will be at least a few inches higher, but this also depends on how watery you like your soup)
    Stir in 2 chicken bouillon cubs (taste to check -- you can always salt a little more or add more bouillon as the soup cooks if necessary)
    Bring water to boil, then allow to simmer until cooked (usually 45 minutes to an hour -- taste to check). Stil occassionally while simmering.

This will yield 6 decent sized bowls (can be frozen if you don't plan to eat that week -- freeze in glass!). It is good to pair with a half serving of whole wheat pasta elbows.

Nutrition per bowl (w/o pasta): Amount per Serving
    Calories : 236
    Total Fat 10.35g
    Saturated Fat 1.44g
    Cholesterol 0mg
    Total Carbohydrate 30.65
    Dietary Fiber 7.17g
    Sugars 4.56g
    Protein 9.54g
  • kappyd
    kappyd Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    bump
  • gingerb85
    gingerb85 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love lentils! I eat them frequently!

A few basics. There are three basic types of lentils - brown lentils, French lentils, and red lentils. The brown and the French CAN be interchanged in a pinch, but never sub the red for the others. Red lentils cook down very soft and are perfect for creamier textured soups. Browns and Frenches hold their shapes well, the French even more so than the brown ones.

My absolute all time favorite lentil dish is a Lebanese lentil and rice dish called mujaddara. I have my favorite recipe here on my blog: http://vegancajun.blogspot.com/search/label/lentils.

I also like to use lentils as taco filling. First you cook them in liquid until they are soft, then season them with all sorts of seasonings such as cumin and oregano. This is a recipe I've used in the past: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Spiced-Lentil-Tacos-351390. I use this recipe http://reducefootprints.blogspot.com/2009/03/vegan-recipe-taco-seasoning.html instead of a packaged taco seasoning that may have MSG and other preservatives and wayyyy too much salt.

Here's another website with more yummy recipes. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/11/01/lentil-recipes_n_1070678.html#s448505&title=French_Lentils_With

Lentils are very versatile and delicious. I even made a lentil walnut loaf the other night, being quite wary about it, but it was delicious and my whole family (omnivores who look askance at their vegan mom sometimes) gobbled it down.
  • barclay1851
    barclay1851 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Lentils are a great nutritional source, full of fiber, antioxidants, vitamins, & minerals. I like to make a type of one pot stew with them. Starting with about 1 lb. of Jennie O's Sweet Italian Turkey sausage. I remove the casing then Brown the sausage with some chopped onions, green and red bell pepper & fresh garlic. Add diced tomatoes, fresh or canned. I have home canned so I add a quart. Then add about half cup dry lentils. You can add other veggies like zucchini, yellow squash, carrots, celery. What every you have or like. If you need more liquid you can add some chicken broth. Cover and simmer on low heat stirring occasionally until lentils are soft. 45 min - 1 hour. I also add fresh or dried herbs like an Italian blend; basil, oregano, cilantro, garlic parsley salt & pepper. When it is finished you can top with a bit of Parmesan cheese or mozzarella cheese if desired. I don't follow too many recipes so sorry I'm not to exact on measurements. I just cook to taste. Let your taste buds be the judge and enjoy.
  • fultzjaf
    fultzjaf Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    WOW! Thanks everyone! Very helpful, and yummy sounding stuff. :laugh:
  • Txifonly
    Txifonly Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I had read somewhere that you can add lentils to your pasta when making spaghetti to add more protien and fiber. Having never cooked lentils before I tossed a handful in with my pasta, cooked it till the pasta was done, and served the spaghetti to the family. Nobody said anything about it so I thought I had managed to sneak it in without anyone being the wiser. I did notice that the lentils were "crunchier" than I thought they would be but hey, I'm no lentil expert. Leftovers in our house usually last about a half a day with the two grown boys constantly raiding the fridge so I was surprised two or three days later when the spaghetti leftovers were still there. I mentioned it at dinner and the boys said they didn't like it because there was "stuff" in it. They didn't know what the "stuff" was but it kept them from going back for more. So....experience has taught me that lentils need longer to cook than pasta. This would probably have worked if I had added lentils to the boiling water 10 - 15 minutes before I add ed the pasta. Or maybe I will boil some ahead of time and throw them in the sauce next time.