Negative calorie FOODS! For those of you not aware. :)

Options

Replies

• CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    Bump for later
    I pray that everyone bumping this bothers to read beyond the OP.
  • bzmom
    bzmom Posts: 1,332 Member
    Options
    Here goes your negative calories....

diet-water-demotivational-poster-12183903531.jpg
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    That article states "While there is no scientific evidence that this is true, it is theoretically possible that this phenomenon can exist. " It then provides a link to this Mayo Clinic page:
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/negative-calorie-foods/AN02040

Which states:
    Here's the reality. Throughout the day, about 10 percent of your total energy expenditure goes to digest and store the nutrients in the food you eat. Foods that contain few calories, such as celery, require a relatively large amount of energy to digest compared with the amount of calories they provide. That means it's theoretically possible to have a negative calorie food, but there are no reputable scientific studies to prove that certain foods are negative calorie or that they aid in weight loss.

The bottom line: Many of the foods touted as negative calorie foods are vegetables and fruits that can aid in losing weight as part of an overall healthy diet plan. But they're probably not negative calorie and they're not a magic bullet for weight loss. In addition, following extreme diets that promote eating only a few foods can cause you to miss out on important nutrients. The key to successful weight loss is adopting a healthy lifestyle that includes a balanced diet and regular exercise.

Quoting because it's important to not spread misinformation. You eat, you put the calories in, you inherently burn calories during the digestion process, but that's already part of your BMR.

So... which did you think was misinformation? The OP's article which stated a theory and said there was no evidence to back it up. Or the Mayo Clinic's article which basically said the same thing?

The OP's summary of their interpretation of the article. I thought it was important to reinforce the fact that if you get into the article and read the mayo clinic that there is in actuality no "zero calorie foods."
  • Mios3
    Mios3 Posts: 530 Member
    Options

Lmao, too funny :laugh:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
  • Mios3
    Mios3 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Just read this article and I am wondering if anyone has really cooked dandelions, and how did they turn out?
    I've had them raw in salad and cooked with other veggies. Not bad.
    So do you eat the actual flower or the stem? The recipes I found say the "green"...
    The green -- the leaves.

Ah ha lol I see. Now I feel silly for asking... :embarassed:
  • bcattoes
    Options
    That article states "While there is no scientific evidence that this is true, it is theoretically possible that this phenomenon can exist. " It then provides a link to this Mayo Clinic page:

Which states:
    Here's the reality. Throughout the day, about 10 percent of your total energy expenditure goes to digest and store the nutrients in the food you eat. Foods that contain few calories, such as celery, require a relatively large amount of energy to digest compared with the amount of calories they provide. That means it's theoretically possible to have a negative calorie food, but there are no reputable scientific studies to prove that certain foods are negative calorie or that they aid in weight loss.

The bottom line: Many of the foods touted as negative calorie foods are vegetables and fruits that can aid in losing weight as part of an overall healthy diet plan. But they're probably not negative calorie and they're not a magic bullet for weight loss. In addition, following extreme diets that promote eating only a few foods can cause you to miss out on important nutrients. The key to successful weight loss is adopting a healthy lifestyle that includes a balanced diet and regular exercise.

Quoting because it's important to not spread misinformation. You eat, you put the calories in, you inherently burn calories during the digestion process, but that's already part of your BMR.

So... which did you think was misinformation? The OP's article which stated a theory and said there was no evidence to back it up. Or the Mayo Clinic's article which basically said the same thing?

The OP's summary of their interpretation of the article. I thought it was important to reinforce the fact that if you get into the article and read the mayo clinic that there is in actuality no "zero calorie foods."

Oh, gotcha. It sounded to me like you were saying the quotes from the sites were "misinformation".
  • JellyJaks
    JellyJaks Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    My two favorite sentences form the website:

"While there is no scientific evidence that this is true, it is theoretically possible that this phenomenon can exist."

"If you believe this theory, then you can consume these foods without feeling guilty."

And if my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle.

I love that so many of you are skeptical. It's important. There is a metric ton of bad health advice out there. Trust reputable sources only. And if anyone tells you "But Dr. Oz says..." just smack them in the mouth.

I'd like to thank you for the calories I burned laughing like a hyena when I read this :smile:

As for the topic, thanks but I'll stick to logging everything I eat.
  • TheSarahHill
    Options
    Want to share this article for those of you you aren't already aware of 'negative calorie' foods.
    These are foods that take more calories to digest than are actually consumed. But don't forget to add your protein! :D

http://diet.lovetoknow.com/wiki/Zero_Calorie_Foods

cheers doll you're a star
  • Sunshine_Girlie
    Sunshine_Girlie Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Also, these guys ate negative calories...

lost-boys-hook.jpg

So, that explains why they're the lost boys!
  • TheSarahHill
    Options

hahaha!
  • bcattoes
    Options
    Want to share this article for those of you you aren't already aware of 'negative calorie' foods.
    These are foods that take more calories to digest than are actually consumed. But don't forget to add your protein! :D

http://diet.lovetoknow.com/wiki/Zero_Calorie_Foods

While I don't buy into the "negative calories" theory, I would like to point out that eating the foods on the list is still a very good idea as they are all healthy fruits and vegetables.
  • mallorybriann
    mallorybriann Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    RUFIO RUFIO RUFIOOOOOOOOOO
    Also, these guys ate negative calories...

lost-boys-hook.jpg
  • tam120
    tam120 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Just read this article and I am wondering if anyone has really cooked dandelions, and how did they turn out?

I have deep fried dandelion flowers (I think that cancels out the negative part lol), when I was in jr high, they weren't all that from what I remember. Dandelion greens are often used in salads, though I've never eaten one that I know of.
  • danniellexxx
    Options
    thanks for sharing this!!
  • amandavictoria80
    amandavictoria80 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Interesting. Bump.

I always knew about celery but I hate celery.

Yeah, me too. LOL I so badly want to like it but it ain't happening. :D
  • amandavictoria80
    Options

Which states:

Well, duh! LOL
  • amandavictoria80
    Options
    oh ffs. You eat it, you log it. Eat food that is satisfying. Forget the non sens

What is "ffs"? It's probably obvious but I'm drawing a blank.

And it's not nonsense. It's veggies and fruits.